Opinions sought on this 2004 Sprinter

From what I’ve read on this forum 250,000 miles seems around the time that pulling the injectors and testing / rebuilding them is an expensive but possibly catastrophe avoiding practice.
Or, depending upon the overall condition of a 15 year old truck, you can roll the dice on that. Some run original injectors unless a head copper seal leaks. Ciprian has over 770,000 miles on original injectors. If my engine fails on the 2006, a Ford Transit gasser is likely in my future. If the 2004 dies, the bones get picked before it goes to scrap.
A big FWIW on the above. I'm just some guy on the internet.

A thorough inspection can reveal the condition of most front end parts. Is tire wear good? If yes, things may not be terrible. My 2004 at 328,000+ has needed a tie rod end. I have used a grease needle to lube the balljoints on the 2004 and the 2006.

New shocks and struts will likely improve the ride.

:2cents: vic

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Yeah it is a bit of a roll the dice thing. The injectors job is less expensive if you pull them yourself it is still a lot better $$ for an old rig .. goood to know Cyprian got 777,000 miles on original, gives me some hope.
So he never pulled or tested them ?

Yeah it is a bit of a roll the dice thing. The injectors job is less expensive if you pull them yourself it is still a lot better $$ for an old rig .. goood to know Cyprian got 777,000 miles on original, gives me some hope.
So he never pulled or tested them ?
My recollection is that for one seal leak he R&R'd the leaking injector. No replacements that I'm aware of.

:cheers: vic

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
I've replaced one injector. I still have the one they pulled out and I was thinking of sending it to have it refurbished, who refurbishes them?

[/url]
I’ve used and have had sent some folks I’ve done injector replacements to Williams Diesel in Ocola FL.

But, if you took it out just due to leaking, I’d just keep it around as a 911 roadside spare in case of a stuck open injector.. been there, done that.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Front Struts and Rear Shocks.

Lots of opinions. Here's a quick summary.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76046

If satisfied with originals, then the Bilstein B4 black ones and a bunch of other companies should be fine.

If need a better setup because of weight or don't like handling, then the Bilstein B6 Blue-Yellow Rear (no available front struts) are a choice as well as the Koni Red Front and Rear Adjustable ones.

Note that a filler insert may be necessary on the Bilstein B6 Rear bottom mounting hole.

The Konis have some detractors.

The best available rear shocks (not available for front) are the customized Fox Shox from Vancompass.com up north and AgileOffRoad in El Cajon, California.

AgileOffRoad might be worth a short drive for you as they install. Their website may not have your year, but they do have for the 2004.T1N Sprinter (ask for Jesus if an issue getting answers). The Fox Shox are in the same general price range as the Konis.

Shopping around might be worthwhile. Eurocampers.com is selling the Konis and Bilsteins at a discount.

http://www.eurocampers.com/2001--2006-Sprinter-Shocks-Struts_c_1618.html

But of course Europarts-SD.com is conveniently located in Southern California.

For a long thread on suspensions modifications for a T1N Airstream Westfalia campervan, see this thread. Lots of discussion re Roadmaster Active Suspension, bigger tires (245/75/16), auxillary spring, SumoSprings, and struts/shocks.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39282

Please post whatever you decide.

HelloPitty

This month has been 4 years of Sprinter ownership.
Since buying in 2016, I've put 21,960 miles on her.

Added within this year are the new Bilstein shocks and a new battery. The Interstate battery had a 6 year warranty and it stopped working exactly at that 6 year timeframe, right down to the precise month!

I am sure glad the emissions thread exists. I was able to get the needed new instrument cluster from a trusted dealership.

I think knowing this forum is here has made ownership more enjoyable.

Top Bottom