144" High Roof European-style build

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Sorry you had problems on the beautiful trip based on your pictures. Is BMS from the Li battery manufacturer as well?

We recently travel to Key West (8.8K miles) and had one conversion issue regarding shore power on Vero Beach FL campground. The control panel lit-up like a Christmas tree, but it was the faulty shore power and Blue Sea Main with Magnum blocked connecting.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
Sorry you had problems on the beautiful trip based on your pictures. Is BMS from the Li battery manufacturer as well?

We recently travel to Key West (8.8K miles) and had one conversion issue regarding shore power on Vero Beach FL campground. The control panel lit-up like a Christmas tree, but it was the faulty shore power and Blue Sea Main with Magnum blocked connecting.
Hi George, yes, it's all an integrated system. The battery manufacturer has redesigned the sense/balance boards,which appear to be better potted and protected. Leaks are not something they are used to seeing, however.

And yes, nothing worse than having a problem on a trip! The whole point of the van is to get away from stress, i.e. my home, where nothing but bills, chores, yard work and distractions exist.

The new one:

Last edited:

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
I installed a DC source switch to feed my DC panel for such emergencies. Allows me to switch from house batteries to the OEM auxiliary battery. Came in handy when my Balmar voltage regulator failed recently taking my Nations auxiliary alternator out of action. Switch temporarily combined all six batteries including starter off of factory alternator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
I installed a DC source switch to feed my DC panel for such emergencies. Allows me to switch from house batteries to the OEM auxiliary battery. Came in handy when my Balmar voltage regulator failed recently taking my Nations auxiliary alternator out of action. Switch temporarily combined all six batteries including starter off of factory alternator.
And I'm planning to do just that. I realized on this trip that it would take me no more than 4 hours to get wire and a transfer switch between my Aux battery and the fuseblock behind my galley that powers most everything critical. I spent $5k on my entire electrical system thinking I would never have a problem. Stupid. Even the best stuff can have issues.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
This does not warrant a post in the epic campsite thread, but I get pretty excited when I can get a campsite on the beach.

lruss

One of the only benefits of getting a passenger Van :) - would love to meet up , im guessing im pretty close to you and ive got a good 'home depot' 2015 weekender almost done along with some of your shop links - i dont like the vise grips :(

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
One of the only benefits of getting a passenger Van :) - would love to meet up , im guessing im pretty close to you and ive got a good 'home depot' 2015 weekender almost done along with some of your shop links - i dont like the vise grips :(
Sorry, just now seeing this. I'm always up for meeting up. I'm traveling at the moment but will be home in a week.

The van looks great! Wish I would have gone to the trouble to accommodate a 3rd row seat.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
I'm still blown away by the fuel economy of this beast.

Just did a run from Sacramento down to Fresno on Hwy 99, then up to King's Canyon NP. First leg of the trip was mostly flat but lots of speed changes for merging traffic. >28 MPG.

This was at 65 MPH with the average dropping to 58 due to traffic and lunch/potty stops. My friends I was traveling with were towing, hence the reason I tolerated 65 MPH.

After some mountain passes climbing to King's Canyon, dropped to 27.7 MPG.

After four days of camping and more stop/starts for overlooks, climbing grades, idling so the AC could keep the interior cool, increasing our speed to 70 MPH, and being stuck in traffic, averaged 25.5 MPG over 400 miles. Not bad van, not bad.

Come on Mercedes, I'm not buying another van until the 4 cyl diesel comes back!

Last edited:

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
I'm not sure where to put this, so it's going in my own thread. For anyone looking for an Espar heater, purchase from heatso.com and you can save about $100 (86 GDP) off a D2 or D4 heater with coupon code "ourkaravan." This has been in-place for some time now.
Espar finally has their new/revised D2L, D4L, and D4R heaters in production, so use coupon code "ourkaravanL" at heatso.com for a discount on those.

Just FYI, I paid full price for my heater and have no affiliation nor do I get any type of kick-back when the code is used. I'm just trying to help cut the cost for you guys whenever I can.
While I'm at it, use "karavan5" to get 5% off Quest Overland window shades: https://www.quest-overland.com/sprinter-van-window-covers-and-shades/

I will keep working with companies to see if I can get discounts whenever possible.

-Ken
https://ourkaravan.com

radair603

Thank you, Ken! I just bought Quest Overland's hood-mounted light kit and they honored the 5% off discount code for that also. Very responsive company, the kit is already on its way.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
Turned the seat base into a storage area. This required building a floor for it, two hinged doors and an enclosed back and sides.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Nice work, I have access from front and back. I always wonder why this old Westfalia VW campervan like layout is not popular among commercial builders in NA.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
Nice work, I have access from front and back. I always wonder why this old Westfalia VW campervan like layout is not popular among commercial builders in NA.
The Sportsmobile RB50 layout is similar, but with a fixed seat at the rear (does not work well for kids). Sportsmobile needs to update their cabinet designs though. I think the RB50 layout is one of their most popular.

I am really happy with this layout.

Top Bottom