California smog EGR error with GDE tune

nutterbutter

2004 LTV Free Spirit T1N
I have the GDE tune since 2015, shortly after I purchased the van. It smogged fine before the tune (transfer title). Smogged fine with the tune.

I have NOT performed the Sprinter computer recall yet.

Went to smog today, and EGR reported open. Failed smog. Doesn't make sense with the EGR delete in the GDE tune.

Any thoughts?

My only thought is to change the oxygen sensor and see if it closes.

I have the GDE tune since 2015, shortly after I purchased the van. It smogged fine before the tune (transfer title). Smogged fine with the tune.

Went to smog today, and EGR reported open. Failed smog. Doesn't make sense with the EGR delete in the GDE tune.

Any thoughts?

That is exactly what happened to me. In CA, passed smog with GDE before, EGR open this time, haven't done T21 recall yet. I've been driving almost 300 miles and still EGR is open. Still searching for an answer. I think there is a place in Escondido that can close EGR.

Zundfolge

Always learning...
I'm about to have to smog (and probably do the recall unless I can get around it via AAA), can an Autel MD802 read whether the EGR monitor is open or closed? And if so, can it close it?

Any thoughts?

The GDE tune is not legal for use on public roadways.

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr

Any thoughts?

I believe that CA has recently changed its smog inspection requirements for pre-2007 diesels. In the past, a monitor or two could be open and still pass inspection. Now all monitors must be closed. Hence, you used to be able to pass smog with a GDE tune. Now you can't.

Your only solution will be to remove the GDE tune (which is the general reason CA changed their requirement - GDE was far from the only tuner out there on all of the various diesel engines). You'll also need to get the EGR system working properly so that monitor can close.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
A common cause of the EGR not closing is bad O2 or MAF readings. Note that pre T21 recall ECM software does not properly calibrate some MAFs, and may not report certain MAF errors. For this reason the EGR monitor will likely never close. Interestingly a decent percentage of vans will report zero MAF flow, but have no codes, consequently, they also have no EGR flow either! This is part of the reason that MB is required to do the recall on such an old vehicle.

nutterbutter

2004 LTV Free Spirit T1N
Solved! Sort of...

Good news: EGR (and all other monitors closed).

Bad news: Not 100% sure why.

Initially, I hadn't driven van for a couple weeks, and drove it 3 blocks in the morning to the smog station. EGR open, failed.

Purchased Autel AL319. It's cheap $35. I wondered if there was something special California was doing to detect my GDE or lack of recall fix, so I wanted to confirm with Autel. Autel reported EGR open and everything else closed, just like the smog station. No other codes stored.

I decided to plug in the little code reader/flasher from GDE. Re-flashed original firmware from backup. Cleared codes (even though empty) with Autel. Now all monitors report not ready (which is normal).

Drove to work about 25 minutes. Autel reports EGR and FUEL open. 5 hours later drove about 35 minutes mostly highway including a moderate hill. Autel reports all monitors closed! Later drive 40 minutes home. Autel reports all monitors closed again!

So I'm not exactly sure why with the GDE tune it reported EGR open. Maybe it was something about sitting for weeks and only driving a couple blocks? My understanding is that GDE tune should still override that.

Appears I did a drive cycle and everything is closed. Unsure if I hadn't re-flashed if the drive cycle would have cleared. Will try to smog this week.

I highly recommend getting the Autel 319 or similar to test your readiness before you smog. My place is going to charge me to retest--more than the cost of the reader!

I believe that CA has recently changed its smog inspection requirements for pre-2007 diesels. In the past, a monitor or two could be open and still pass inspection. Now all monitors must be closed. Hence, you used to be able to pass smog with a GDE tune. Now you can't.

Your only solution will be to remove the GDE tune (which is the general reason CA changed their requirement - GDE was far from the only tuner out there on all of the various diesel engines). You'll also need to get the EGR system working properly so that monitor can close.
So I removed GDE and reinstalled the original file and after driving a while, all monitors were closed, including the EGR! I used "Blue Driver" to check smog readiness and all is ready. Taking it to a smog station tomorrow to get the smog done. So, only way to get all the monitors closed is to remove GDE and reinstall the original file. I am still trying to figure out how you can get away without T21 recall in a AAA office. I would definitely keep GDE if I can get away without T21 recall but was wondering if the recall will come up again next year for registration. Anyone?

nutterbutter

2004 LTV Free Spirit T1N
Two days sitting after the original file re-flash and EGR closed after driving. Cold start, drive the 3 blocks to smog station. EGR still closed and passed!

Socalmbcruiser: I'm thinking the same thing you are, but none of us have the crystal ball to see the future.

Top Bottom