Urgent crankshaft bolt info

chiro1973

So I'm stuck in the Backwoods of Arkansas with a separated harmonic balancer can somebody please tell me which direction the crankshaft bolt comes out is it a lefty Loosey?
Thanks in advance stuck in the woods!

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
It is a normal bolt. Counterclockwise to remove. Be aware that the bolt is one time use and that replacement bolts need to be torqued to a High torque value followed by a degree factor which varies depending on which type of key and bolt is used on your vehicle.

In a pinch it might be possible to reuse the bolt a second time but I would replace it promptly upon getting to a location where this was possible.

Last edited:

It is a normal bolt. Counterclockwise to remove. Be aware that the bolt is one time use and that replacement bolts need to be torqued to a High torque value followed by a degree factor which varies depending on which type of key and bolt is used on your vehicle.

In a pinch it might be possible to reuse the bolt a second time but I would replace it promptly upon getting to a location where this was possible.
Another possibility is to remove the separated ring and get the proper parts assembled prior to the job.

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=495265#post495265

vic

chiro1973

Thanks for the quick response I was able to get the harmonic balancer pulley assembly yesterday from two hours away but they did not have the bolt so I'm going to have to reuse the bolt to make it home

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
If the outside ring is separated you can remove it, reinstall the serpentine belt, and drive a short distance if needed.

chiro1973

Thanks I checked out that other thread decided to remove the ring and I'm keeping it below 2000 RPM's and she seems to be fine no vibration whatsoever

chiro1973

Well I made it the 700 miles home without issue....pheeeew
I can't seem to find anybody that carries the crankshaft bolt and washer. Any help is appreciated.

NateV

2006 T1N 158wb 410k miles
Go to http://europarts-sd.com will have everything you need.
Best prices, excellent service, OEM parts. They specialize in Sprinters.
They ship Fedex so you'll have your parts in the next day or two.

lindenengineering

Don't forget the stepped cone abutment washer that goes on the balancer pulley arr!

The steeped undercut provides a vital clamp load on the pulley and it becomes work hard over time.

You can't take short cuts and risks with this attachment.
Dennis

chiro1973

Yep, definitely getting the washer as well. I wonder if I should get a crank case seal just in case. I've been told there usually isn't an issue damaging it when removing the pulley though.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Yep, definitely getting the washer as well. I wonder if I should get a crank case seal just in case. I've been told there usually isn't an issue damaging it when removing the pulley though.
Replace the seal for sure. It's a $15 part and there's no reason to risk a crank leak for 15 bucks. You will need to make a tool to push the seal in. You can use the old crank bolt and a couple of very large washers with a piece of wood as a spacer to make a cheap and quick DIY tool.

Top Bottom