Possibly renting a 2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS

rmasteller

Our nephew out west is getting married next summer and we're considering taking a 2 week vacation, renting a class B, and using that experience to determine if we would want to own a class B RV. There's a 2006 PW Plateau TS available. If I go check it out this month, what should I ask the owner to help improve our chances of having a good 3,500 mile vacation? BTW, I'm not a 100% total RV novice, my dad had a 33' Airstream/Thor class A for 15 years and I once rented a class C from Cruise America for a long weekend. Thanks!

levedr

I think you would enjoy the TS.
We have a 2005 TS with 120k miles on it we bought new.
Things I feel you need to be aware of that come to mind:
1)Limp home mode (LHM). Be aware of what it is and how to handle it so you are not caught off-guard should it happen. Usually the LHM can be deactivated upon restarting the vehicle but the vehicle may need attention at the earliest opportunity. Ask the owner about any issues they have had RE:LHM. Our vehicle has had numerous events over the years which the dealers cannot trace.
2) House battery system and limitations. More than one battery? Solar? How long can you expect to be able to boondock without recharging the battery?
3) Be aware of the tank capacities and how long you can go before emptying, refilling, etc.
4) Battery cutoff switch location, LPG turnoff, where is jack and tire changing tools, etc.

We keep the bed made up all the time (just the two of us).

Enjoy your trip
Note: I'm curious how much they are renting the TS for?

rmasteller

Thanks for the reply. I'm familiar with what LHM is as I own MB cars including a 97 E300 diesel. It's usually not good news! The rental sites (rvshare.com and outdoorsy.com) provide insurance for many potential issues (breakdown, accident, vandalism, theft, trip cancellation, etc).

Along the lines of system limitations and boondocking, we're bringing our two small dogs on the trip and need to find out how long the heat or AC could run if we drive to a tourist activity and leave the dogs in the van. We can't have dogs at risk while we're in a museum or seeing some natural landmark. There's no solar on this rig.

This particular renter asks $159/night with milage limitations and fees for various things. New Airstream Interstate vans and the like commonly go for $300/night, more or less. Large class C RVs can rent in the $200 - $350 /night, but my wife won't try to drive one. We're only looking at class B vans with wet bath.

Last edited:
The air conditioner will need the generator which runs on propane. I have the same rig and can run that for about 8 hours before running out of propane (a whole driving day). The propane tank is a 12 gallon tank, but 80% of that is 9.6 gallons. Depending on how long you’re going to be and what the weather is really like, parking in the shade, leaving the back windows open with the fan on will provide good air flow and ventilation. Even if you’re running the AC, always have a backup. Your backup is windows open and fan set to run at a certain temperature. There is a temperature knob right on the fan which you can turn to control when the fan comes on and shuts off. If they’ve switched to the fan to something with a rain sensor, then any rain you get could foil your backup of having the fan come on when it gets hot as it will close automatically, but not reopen again. Having something to remotely monitor the temperature may give you peace of mind, but checking on them every now and then if you can would be good also.
If they’ve not done anything to increase the battery capacity nor added solar, your boondocking without moving will be limited. Depending on how much electric you use, it might last a day, maybe two without running the generator or driving. There is one group 24 battery if it’s unchanged from original which has 79 or 80Ah, half of which is usable to not discharge the battery below 50%. Be sure to turn off anything electrical that you’re not using to conserve. Hopefully they’ve changed out the halogen lightbulbs for LEDs otherwise, those take up some juice if you use them a lot and stay up late. The propane valve takes a bunch and it’s on 24/7 so just be mindful of items that are a constant draw and those which you can control the usage of.
Use other bathroom facilities and the water and waste tanks will last longer.
Anyways, hope that helps. Take notes on the walk-thru so you remember afterwards. There’s lots of little details to remember.

JP2

We bought a 2004 P TS last year and did a 12,000km trip in April and it worked great! Easy to drive, great MPG, comfy bed! Have fun and we never had any Limp home modes or any other issues.

Top Bottom