Lap Sealant Bubble

Greetings All,

I am new to the Serenity group as we just purchased a 2018 Serenity following six wonderful years with a 2012 Unity MB model.

Cleaning the roof resulted in a couple of questions:

1. I ran across a 'bubble' in the lap sealant on the passenger side about 2/3 of the way down the roof (from the rear). This was along the long stretch of sealant between the roof and the side of the Serenity (I am getting a sense of why the Serenity is more expensive to build :) I lightly pressed on the bubble and it was firm. I did some searching around the 'net and got conflicting statements as to what to do. The Dicor FAQ section of their website said not to burst any bubbles while another RV forum suggested you should pop the bubble and clean the Dicor area and apply new sealant.

Has anyone else had this issue?

2. Dean at LTV always brags about the strength of the roof on the Unity saying you can walk on the roof with no issue. Given all the sealant seams on the Serenity roof, is it OK to walk on the roof as well?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and I am looking forward to being active on the forum!

No worries about walking on the roof, so long as you're not too heavy. Might reconsider if your north of 200 lbs. As for the bubble, go ahead and lance that puppy. Then re-apply a good dab of Dicor, being sure to wipe down the area with isopropyl alcohol to ensure good adhesion. Personally, I prefer Eterna-bond. Applied a 4-inch wide strip of Eterna-bond (trimming where needed) over-top of all the roof seams in our 2013 Serenity. It's so much nicer looking than the big gobs of Dicor that just attract dirt.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
I had my AC replaced in my 2007 a couple of years ago. Previous to that I had been afraid of going on the roof too, I would stick my head up thru the skylight to clean the roof or use a ladder and maybe put a knee on the roof only. I still don't put much weight up there as I am SO far north of 200. But after watching two guys pulling the old unit off with all their might, I am pretty sure the roof will not fall thru.

Leaking of the roof on the Serenity is an issue that I posted about years ago, even before the AC. I have wood swelling from both the front and back of the roof leaking. I had such a bad problem with water leaking behind the shower wall that the structural fiberglass outer wall bubbled up with the moisture. Someday I wanna replace the shower enclosure.

Keep your seams sealed everyone, water will find a way. If you didn't check it this year, this will be the year a leak develops. Don't be cocky like me.

TheTrueWheeler,

When you applied Eternabond, did you remove the existing sealant before the application or did you place the Eternabond over the existing?

TheTrueWheeler,

When you applied Eternabond, did you remove the existing sealant before the application or did you place the Eternabond over the existing?
Sorry, little late on the reply... but yes, over everything. It makes a nice little valley as seen in the photos, and keeps everything out, including the ice you see in the 2nd pic.IMG_0309.JPGIMG_0310.JPG

Top Bottom