2015/16 low roof passenger vs newer low roof transit

RF7

I know they are not that similar but this is where I’m at. 15/16’ low roof sprinter passenger with I4 or a newer low roof transit 148” with eco boost. This will be family hauler and work van for me. I really don’t want a high roof sprinter so my options are limited to used and few and far between. Any words of wisdom before I just go for what is available between the two?

Last edited:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Diesel Sprinter will get better mpg with higher maintenance costs, Gas Transit will be much faster with lower maintenance costs. If used for travel, service locations for the Transit will far exceed those available for the Sprinter.

RF7

The transits I’m looking at would be about 10k more than the sprinter. But it would be new or almost new too.

HarryN

Just another opinion FWIW:

- Since you live in the bay area, a common trip is to drive up to Lake Tahoe and other regional mountainous areas.
- Since you are buying it as a family hauler / work vehicle and not for conversion use, there is a good chance that you will end up pulling a trailer or boat over the next 5 years. I say this just because I have raised 4 children and have grand children.
- Gasoline will have fewer issues in cold weather (snow related trips) than diesel

IMHO, that means that you want a van with a lot of pulling power = ecoboost.

Just so you know, the ability to order a custom feature on a Transit appears to be almost as challenging as sprinter, so make a shockingly detailed feature list of what you absolutely want vs could add yourself or do without. Probably you will end up buying something that exists if you want it in the next 90 days.

I know that you are saying that you want a low roof version, but those might not be as easy to find as you think since the market is heavily buying high roofs.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
I know they are not that similar but this is where I’m at. 15/16’ low roof sprinter passenger with I4 or a newer low roof transit 148” with eco boost. This will be family hauler and work van for me. I really don’t want a high roof sprinter so my options are limited to used and few and far between. Any words of wisdom before I just go for what is available between the two?
The I-4 diesel offers the best of the Sprinter drivetrains and is a really solid reason to get the Benz. Absent this choice I'd be looking at Transit, particularly for the AWD system.

The thing you need to do is drive them both with as open of a mind as you can. Dont think dollars, dont think maintenance, just think drivability. When you decide between them after your road tests, then you will know.
For some the ergonomics of a sprinter is totally worth the seldom headaches, for some the POWER of the transit and the racer feel is the way. I think thats the best decider. Both bring a lot to the table but they are different. If you are
deciding between the two and are looking at similar priced vans it boils down to preference, and that is not something we can help you decide.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
The thing you need to do is drive them both with as open of a mind as you can. Dont think dollars, dont think maintenance, just think drivability. When you decide between them after your road tests, then you will know.
For some the ergonomics of a sprinter is totally worth the seldom headaches, for some the POWER of the transit and the racer feel is the way. I think thats the best decider. Both bring a lot to the table but they are different. If you are
deciding between the two and are looking at similar priced vans it boils down to preference, and that is not something we can help you decide.
Good advice. Drive both.

Do not let prestige bias your decision.

Price used Transits compared to used Sprinters. Believe Transits have lower resale value.

Keep in mind where you will be using the van. Will service be available?

RF7

I was never able to drive a transit with the ecoboost. But I did drive both. I like both and honestly don’t feel that I was biased towards the prestige of sprinter because I don’t like being flashy and the ford was a strong contender there. If the low roof ford would have been a little taller I think that’s what I would have done.

Long story short I took delivery of a 2015 low roof passenger on Tuesday. I like the ease of getting from driver seat to the back to help kids. But need to spend some late time to learn how to work all the features. The auto door lock button took longer than I’d like to admit to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom