Passenger van single seat in rear options?

david724

Hi Friends,

I have a 118 passenger that I am in the process of converting. I'd like to be able to add/remove a single passenger seat in the rear (2nd row), ideally using the two floor brackets closest to the sliding door. I currently have a 2 seat bench, but it only mounts behind the driver seat, which doesn't work for me as this is where I plan on installing a kitchen galley.

Are there aftermarket seat options that lock right in to the factory brackets? Know of any solutions that would allow me to have a single (or double) removable seat that sits behind the passenger seat?

Would love to hear your thoughts. THANKS!

SD26

2012 NCV3 3500
Is the easy answer to move the factory brackets behind the passenger seat? Uses current inventory. Planning and labor are the costs.

Ford Transit seats seem to be plentiful as take outs from professional and personal conversions. I don't think they will use your current brackets, but, compared to an aftermarket purchase, they are probably quite reasonable in price.

auto1

Was in the same situation. I cut my long three seater down to a single.It is only locks in with one latch,but has worked out great. A single extra seat is all I needed and gives me plenty of floor space.I kept the short 3 seater,but will find a two seater down the line when there is a need for a extra seat.

david724

Hey guys, thanks for your thoughts.

I wish I could move the factory brackets, but they are different sizes and I'm not sure I can fit the small in the big and vice versa. Not sure about the interchangeability with other brands as well.

Cutting a 3 seater is not a bad option. I'd have to trade my 2 seater for a 3 but that could work.

surlyoldbill

I guess I don't understand the question.
The seat mounts are all spaced the same, so the bench should fit in any of the factory floor mounts. My 140 had three rear bench seat positions, the middle one came with the 2-seat, but an extra floor mount could be added (bolts already there covered by a panel) so a 3-seat could be put there.

If you want infinite seat positions, you can do what I did to my Transit and attach L-track to the floor, and bolt the factory floor mounts to the L-track wherever you want. Going full length to the rear doors with L-track also offers tie-down capability where you need it. I just purchased a single 100" piece and cut it in half.

Attachments

david724

Thanks for you thoughts.

In my van, each row has three floor brackets, and the middle one in each row is slightly smaller than the outer ones. I have a 2 seat, but it only seems to mount on the driver side of the van (e.g., I can't put the 2 seater closest to the sliding door allowing there to be a space behind the driver seat). Ultimately, I'd like to have just one seat (or a 2 seater if it fits) positioned directly behind the passenger seat and next to the sliding door, which will allow me to install a galley directly behind the driver seat.

Your L-track option looks neat, but I'm hoping for some sort of factory solution as I want to make sure the van is still DOT and insurance approved.

john61ct

If you want infinite seat positions, you can do what I did to my Transit and attach L-track to the floor, and bolt the factory floor mounts to the L-track wherever you want. Going full length to the rear doors with L-track also offers tie-down capability where you need it. I just purchased a single 100" piece and cut it in half.
very cool idea.

Anyone know how to get such a solution tested so as to CYA with insurance in the event?

surlyoldbill

AH! RIGHT! I forgot about the shorty in the middle for T1N Sprinters.

I forget, do the floor brackets have the same mounting hole spacing? I know the cutouts in the wood floor are different. I also remember someone enlarging the center cutout so they could move their 2-seat over closer to the slider. But if the mounting holes are spaced differently, you'd have to drill another hole or two and use a think backing plate under the van to hold the new bolts. Also an assistant or vice grips to hold the nut while you tightened the bolt from above.

surlyoldbill

very cool idea.

Anyone know how to get such a solution tested so as to CYA with insurance in the event?
I believe it's thousand if not tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars to have something tested and certified for passenger occupancy. That's one of the points of discussion on the Transit forum where people are adding seating in the back of their cargo vans. The general consensus is that your insurance company will deny any claims for people sitting in your DIY mounted rear seats regardless of how well you do it. They need to be installed by a certified upfitter. In your case, your van is already certified to have rear passengers, and moving a floor bracket over should not void insurance. Especially if you don't tell them you moved one of the brackets. The L-Track, forget about it, you're on your own. I'm confident mine are stronger than the factory spec, so I'm not worried about passenger injury because of the seats coming loose, but if I'm in a wreck where they DO, I fully expect everyone will be dead and insurance won't matter. Getting T-boned and rear passengers hurt is another matter.

david724

AH! RIGHT! I forgot about the shorty in the middle for T1N Sprinters.

I forget, do the floor brackets have the same mounting hole spacing? I know the cutouts in the wood floor are different. I also remember someone enlarging the center cutout so they could move their 2-seat over closer to the slider. But if the mounting holes are spaced differently, you'd have to drill another hole or two and use a think backing plate under the van to hold the new bolts. Also an assistant or vice grips to hold the nut while you tightened the bolt from above.
Thanks Surlyoldbill,
Yes, the cutouts in the floor are different so I'd have to figure out how to enlarge the middle one. It also seems that the hole spacing is also different. Perhaps I can figure out how to enlarge the cutout and drill new holes, but this is a bit more modifying than I was hoping to do, especially sense I'm not sure how this will impact insurance. I will keep your solution in mind. Thanks for the thoughts.

surlyoldbill

Maybe check under the seat to see if you can unbolt the legs and swap the long for the short so the seat would fit without modifying the floor mounts. I think I remember the Sprinter seats being welded, but I know my Transit seats have bolt-on legs.

flyag1

Maybe check under the seat to see if you can unbolt the legs and swap the long for the short so the seat would fit without modifying the floor mounts. I think I remember the Sprinter seats being welded, but I know my Transit seats have bolt-on legs.
Hi Surly,

if you were making a choice and money was not a driving factor in you decision, would you pick the ford toady over sprinter?

Thanks for you input,
Dale

KBark

Was in the same situation. I cut my long three seater down to a single.It is only locks in with one latch,but has worked out great. A single extra seat is all I needed and gives me plenty of floor space.I kept the short 3 seater,but will find a two seater down the line when there is a need for a extra seat.

Do you have a picture of this?

energyi

Is the easy answer to move the factory brackets behind the passenger seat? Uses current inventory. Planning and labor are the costs.

Ford Transit seats seem to be plentiful as take outs from professional and personal conversions. I don't think they will use your current brackets, but, compared to an aftermarket purchase, they are probably quite reasonable in price.
And I think Transit seats fold up nicely and can easily be removed, and re-installed. Optionality.

Top Bottom