Heki 3 Plus (manual version of our skylight)

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
It APPEARS, but could be mistaken:

This item is local pick-up in Pomona, California.

This ONE ONLY item as described is new but without original packaging.

Seller with same name had this item, ONE ONLY, on ebay for $400, expired with no bids.

Then on ebay for $300, expired with no bids.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-ROOF-WIN...TH-LIGHTING-RV-SKYLIGHT-/202040358185?vxp=mtr

Then on ebay for $225 with the winning bid TODAY of $255.25.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-SKYLIGHT...KI-3-PLUS-WITH-LIGHTING-/202058851104?vxp=mtr

Now, it appears like the same seller wirh the same item, ONE ONLY, on ebay for $250.

Good luck.

Kiltym

We bought the one today. He had/has 2. He listed the second unit after the first sold. I had an email conversation with him, all seems legit to me.

Not sure where the "one only" comes from, as the listing states it's for "1 unit". Unless I missed something you saw.

I suppose I'll find the out when we pick it up. If any issues, Paypal/eBay will take care of it.

Pretty sure it's all ok, and a very good price, even for just the window/acrylic that will fit our model.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
You're correct re 1 unit.

Same description used in every listing/relisting and now latest listing re seller buying, no original packaging, and deciding not to install.

So looked like same unit being offered.

Good to know that seller must have done same thing with two units.

Excellent price, and some prefer this Heki 3 Plus model without annoying rain sensor, slow motor, and remote control issues. (Other deal, now sold out, found by Holly was the Heki 4 Plus.)

Keep us posted re your excellent find.

Kiltym

We replaced our Heki 4 with the Heki 3 we bought on eBay. All went smoothly, and am happier with the manual operation so far. We plan out of the country trips, and didn't want the hassle of the motor/remote dying on us.

We are going to put the removed, fully functional Heki4 for sale. It is in pretty good shape overall, and once we clean it up, we will post more details.

We replaced our Heki 4 with the Heki 3 we bought on eBay. All went smoothly, and am happier with the manual operation so far. We plan out of the country trips, and didn't want the hassle of the motor/remote dying on us.
I posted a question about Heki 3 / 4 in another thread and just found this one that partially answers my question. Were there actual problems with the electric version? I thought it would be so much easier than the manual...

Also, does anyone know where either can be purchased? leisuredirect seem to have parts only.

Kiltym

My issues with the electric was it was very slow to open and close. When closing, you have to keep the button pressed all the time on the remote, not a one click operation, so it means standing there with a very flaky remote pointing in the right spot for a minute pressing the button. The rain sensor on the 4 is also very touchy. Basically any dew overnight and the thing wakes you up abruptly as it closes. There are some work-arounds for this however that we never explored. Some people re-wired the 4 to allow an easier closing as well.

And, on our van, being 15 years old, things break :). And the price was too good to pass up for a brand new manual one that we jumped on it. We are happy with the manual. Opens and closes as quickly as you can crank. Nothing to break. No remote to lose. No waking up to a motor 2" from my head when it sprinkles outside.

They are exactly the same except for the motor and rain sensor.

I think the electric version is useful if you are unable to reach the hatch easily to open and close manually. In the Westy, it is easy to access by stepping on the bench seat, or the counter, or the bed, when it is out.

This is all my opinion of course. I am sure there are many that would prefer the Heki 4.

Camp

Sprinter Westfalia
I posted a question about Heki 3 / 4 in another thread and just found this one that partially answers my question. Were there actual problems with the electric version? I thought it would be so much easier than the manual...

Also, does anyone know where either can be purchased? leisuredirect seem to have parts only.
I second what Kiltym said, but will add that the biggest flaw of the Heki 4 is that is has no easy way to manually close it. In the event that you lose the remote, don't have power, or the skylight just dies, the interior trim must be removed to access the emergency close mechanism. Luckily this has never happened (*knock on wood*), but it looks like a real pain. I can't imagine it would have been hard for Dometic just to have added a manual lever similar to what the power operated MaxxFans have.

As far as I've seen, the Heki 3 and 4 are primarily sold in Europe. Campervan HQ in Colorado seemed to be one of the only places in the US that sold the Dometic Heki 3 or 4, but they now say they are sold out and no longer available. If they are available again in the US, Campervan HQ would probably be the place to check. If you need it now, the Heki 3 Plus in link below from Germany comes out to a similar price after shipping to what Campervan HQ charged BEFORE shipping.

I have purchased parts from international sellers on eBay and had a decent experience, but never something this big. This eBay seller used to have the Heki 4 Plus available as well with shipping to the US, but I don't currently see it.

Kiltym touched on a DIY fix to improve the Heki 4. You could put in a kill switch to keep the rain sensor from operating at night by cutting power to the skylight. Another thing that fixes the remote/rain sensor issue on the Heki 4 is to convert it to be operated via switch. However, then you lose the ability for the skylight to shut the motor off automatically so it doesn't over tighten the skylight when closing. The rain sensor and remote will also become inoperable, and you'll need to wire the lights to a switch as well. Also worth noting that the included lights are fluorescent on both models, so converting to LED is something to consider before installing.

If you don't want to mess with the skylight, a spare remote may solve some of the Heki 4's problems. No worry about losing your only way of operating, and the buttons will be easier to press (they get depressed over time... especially when nearly 15 years old).

At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference. If you are fine with the manual operation, the Heki 3 has less to go wrong. If you are willing to put up with the quirks and/or convert, the Heki 4 is a good skylight.

512Westy

I certainly appreciate the thinking of the manual unit. I installed a switch to turn the power off at night so the dew doesn't shut it when i don't want it to close. That fix works great. I've RARELY ever utilized the rain sensor, so my efforts to keep the system original doesn't exactly serve my actual utilization. The remote is really the problematic element of the whole issue. I have learned that sometimes long power down periods requires the remote to be re-familiarized with the unit and when power goes on, the red light on the sunroof blinks for a 10-20 secs. Pushing both buttons on the remote at the same time, re-familiarlizes the remote with the sunroof and it typically works then.

sprinter_wy

Just FYI:
I tried to buy a Heki from this seller. I clicked 'buy' and paid. Several days later I got a refund and a curt message "we don't ship to the US, these windows are too fragile..."

I second what Kiltym said, but will add that the biggest flaw of the Heki 4 is that is has no easy way to manually close it. In the event that you lose the remote, don't have power, or the skylight just dies, the interior trim must be removed to access the emergency close mechanism. Luckily this has never happened (*knock on wood*), but it looks like a real pain. I can't imagine it would have been hard for Dometic just to have added a manual lever similar to what the power operated MaxxFans have.

As far as I've seen, the Heki 3 and 4 are primarily sold in Europe. Campervan HQ in Colorado seemed to be one of the only places in the US that sold the Dometic Heki 3 or 4, but they now say they are sold out and no longer available. If they are available again in the US, Campervan HQ would probably be the place to check. If you need it now, the Heki 3 Plus in link below from Germany comes out to a similar price after shipping to what Campervan HQ charged BEFORE shipping.

I have purchased parts from international sellers on eBay and had a decent experience, but never something this big. This eBay seller used to have the Heki 4 Plus available as well with shipping to the US, but I don't currently see it.

Kiltym touched on a DIY fix to improve the Heki 4. You could put in a kill switch to keep the rain sensor from operating at night by cutting power to the skylight. Another thing that fixes the remote/rain sensor issue on the Heki 4 is to convert it to be operated via switch. However, then you lose the ability for the skylight to shut the motor off automatically so it doesn't over tighten the skylight when closing. The rain sensor and remote will also become inoperable, and you'll need to wire the lights to a switch as well. Also worth noting that the included lights are fluorescent on both models, so converting to LED is something to consider before installing.

If you don't want to mess with the skylight, a spare remote may solve some of the Heki 4's problems. No worry about losing your only way of operating, and the buttons will be easier to press (they get depressed over time... especially when nearly 15 years old).

At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference. If you are fine with the manual operation, the Heki 3 has less to go wrong. If you are willing to put up with the quirks and/or convert, the Heki 4 is a good skylight.

Just FYI:
I tried to buy a Heki from this seller. I clicked 'buy' and paid. Several days later I got a refund and a curt message "we don't ship to the US, these windows are too fragile..."
Yes, I wanted to buy several items but because there were no pictures for some of them, I requested that he sends a couple. Several messages through ebay - no response. Went on his official site where everything is in fascist language and no English version available and sent a message through it - similarly, total ignoring in response. What a bastard. Hope you will be able to leave him an honest, nasty review for, at the very least, false advertising: it clearly says ships to the USA. I wanted to buy through people in Germany (this idiot charges over $300 to ship each item even when ships to the same location in the same order although it all could be shipped for under $200 - when I added several windows and blinds to the cart, plus a Heki, my total was over $5000 - 3k for the goods and 2k+ for shipping) but now do not want to be dealing with such a moron and bringing him any revenue.

sprinter_wy

I understand your frustration. I, too, was totally frustrated by this guy.

But, why would a store in Wiesbaden necessarily have an English website? Presumably, by 'fascist language' you mean German? I wrote to him in German and he does not respond to that either. It's the person, not the language...

Hope you find a window somewhere. And enjoy your 'fascist German van'.

Yes, I wanted to buy several items but because there were no pictures for some of them, I requested that he sends a couple. Several messages through ebay - no response. Went on his official site where everything is in fascist language and no English version available and sent a message through it - similarly, total ignoring in response. What a bastard. Hope you will be able to leave him an honest, nasty review for, at the very least, false advertising: it clearly says ships to the USA. I wanted to buy through people in Germany (this idiot charges over $300 to ship each item even when ships to the same location in the same order although it all could be shipped for under $200 - when I added several windows and blinds to the cart, plus a Heki, my total was over $5000 - 3k for the goods and 2k+ for shipping) but now do not want to be dealing with such a moron and bringing him any revenue.

Camp

Sprinter Westfalia
Wow, sorry for posting that link. No clue they'd waste everyone's time like that.

Some bad news I stumbled upon looking for Heki 3/4 sources... It looks like Dometic has discontinued the Heki 4 Plus worldwide (yes, one more Westy part now gone). After available stock runs outs, it appears as if the Heki 3 Plus will be the only suitable replacement. The Heki 1 and 2 are available, but are lower end models with less features.

Below are a few European country Dometic sites with the 4 Plus noticeable absent from the rooflight sections.

Dometic UK

Dometic Sweden

Dometic Germany

Here's the UK store that made it clear as day the 4 Plus is gone with this message: "** NOW DISCONTINUED – PLEASE SEE THE HEKI 2 OR HEKI 3 PLUS **"

Barring a reintroduction, I'd say it's safe to assume the Heki 3 Plus will be the most suitable replacement for Westy owners going forward. Other than being manually operated, it's nearly identical. It's also proven to work in the Westy thanks to owners like Kiltym. Now the only challenge is finding a good source!

grozier

I think we could convert our Heki 4s to Heki 3s with the parts list below. I wrote a few places about this, including leisurespares.co.uk, but never got anywhere with it. The advantage of this is that all the pieces would fit in a regular size box.

Ted
  • 2x BG1276 "Connection plates w/fixings"
  • 1x BG1257 "Drive mechanism"
  • 1x 550E2001 "Gear box"
  • 1x BG1263 "Cover for handle"
  • 1x BG1265 "Crank/handle"
  • 1x BG1266 "Drive pinion"
  • 1x BG1267 "Link" (length TBD)

Top Bottom