Propane vs. Diesel generator?

SLDriver

2014.5 LTV Serenity
We're interested in the 2014 Serenity and wondered what your opinions are regarding generators. Propane or Diesel? Propane is cleaner but the tank is only 13 gallons.:thinking:

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
We have an Onan 2500 LP on our Ventura. I can only speak to that. It's quieter than my gas 6KW standby genny. It's not as stinky and has less vibration than the diesels I've been around in RVs.

It pretty miserly on fuel... But that depends on load... More load = more fuel burn. The diesels are usually set up to use fuel from the Sprinter's tank until its down to about 1/3. So you don't run out of diesel in the Tulies. IMHO, dual fuel gives flexibility.

Since LP is cleaner burning, there's a possibility of less Maintainence.

icarus

Diesels are not well suited for running on partial loads. Because of the nature of diesel injection/compression ignition, coupled with the fact that they must run at a set rpm they are prone to wet stacking. I beleive we had this conversation recently on another thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_stacking

For general RV use,assuming you have on board propane, that would be my choice.

Depending on the load, 13 gallons will run a pretty long time.

Icarus

aljimenez

'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3
We havea 2013 Serenity with propane genny and it works great. Propane genny is cheaper, lighter, and allows for the more useful stabilizer option. All propane use in the Serenity is very efficient; we never seem to run out of it with the frequency I'd expect. We are very happy with its performance.

Tom9054

new to sprinters, even newer to generators. Got a diesel underneath with the clock saying 3,700 hours. seems to fire right up.

Powertech PTRV-3 itza Kubota, that needs winterized soon....

Last edited:

pattonsr

I do not understand the comment that one cannot have the Onan diesel 3.2 kw along with the stabilizer jacks.

Vogt RV Centers in Fort Worth, TX has the following 3 invoices listed on their web site as of last week.

2013 Unity U24TB

2014 Unity U24TB

2014 Unity U24MB

All three of these invoices list the 3.2 KW Onan Diesel Generator at $7,280 MSRP and the Jacks - Stabilizer Electric (2 only) at $975 MSRP.

If you live in Texas, the diesel will support air conditioning about 3 times as long as propane.

So it seems to me that the comment may be inaccurate.

Last edited:

SLDriver

2014.5 LTV Serenity
We're newbies who plan to downsize from a Class A diesel pusher, but my understanding is the 2014 Serenity with diesel generator doesn't have the stabilizer option. True?

Also, we're curious how much propane is used hourly when running tbe air conditioning. :thinking:

avid

Saphira's rider
2013 Unity U24TB

2014 Unity U24TB

2014 Unity U24MB

All three of these invoices list the 3.2 KW Onan Diesel Generator at $7,280 MSRP and the Jacks - Stabilizer Electric (2 only) at $975 MSRP.
I would not trust that internet invoices are correct. One can't even trust many of the motorhome manufacturers website's accuracy. Call the factory and ask.

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
new to sprinters, even newer to generators. Got a diesel underneath with the clock saying 3,700 hours. seems to fire right up.

Powertech PTRV-3 itza Kubota, that needs winterized soon....
Powertech and Kubota is some of the best stuff made.

(I take it thats a powertech generator end with a Kubota diesel)

This set up is way beyond the low output Onan stuff being described here.

Onans big diesels are all Kubotas with Onan electrical ends and inverters.

You should get 10-20K out of it with regular maintenance.

Uncle Dave

calbiker

The main negative with diesel is that it stinks. Lots of people rig a snorkel that diverts the exhaust high above their rig. I wouldn't want to sit down wind of the exhaust.

Cal

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
The main negative with diesel is that it stinks. Lots of people rig a snorkel that diverts the exhaust high above their rig. I wouldn't want to sit down wind of the exhaust.

Cal
You dont want to be around the exhaust of my 6300 Propane genny either.

It just stinks different.

The snorkle thing/genturi is manadatory at Nascar and other infield type events regardless of fuel type.

UD

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
If you live in Texas, the diesel will support air conditioning about 3 times as long as propane.
I have a 57 lb. tank of propane in my Serenity. At 2.2lbs/hour at half load that's 20+ hours. I don't know what time we are talking, but in the years I have owned my RVs I usually only run the AC during the heat of the day, so maybe 4 hours. So every week I need to get a fill of propane. The same would be true for diesel, only if I am doing much driving I could be filling that daily or more. If I am sitting, I may not have diesel to go to as a resource because I have driven into the wilds, and having a second fuel tank of propane would be nice.

Since the propane tank is there no matter which genset you get I would go propane. I don't mind the stink of propane exhaust, nor Mercedes exhaust, but diesel generator exhaust is bad and the generator is louder despite having Quiet in it's name.

-Randy

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
I have a 57 lb. tank of propane in my Serenity. At 2.2lbs/hour at half load that's 20+ hours. I don't know what time we are talking, but in the years I have owned my RVs I usually only run the AC during the heat of the day, so maybe 4 hours. So every week I need to get a fill of propane. The same would be true for diesel, only if I am doing much driving I could be filling that daily or more. If I am sitting, I may not have diesel to go to as a resource because I have driven into the wilds, and having a second fuel tank of propane would be nice.

Since the propane tank is there no matter which genset you get I would go propane. I don't mind the stink of propane exhaust, nor Mercedes exhaust, but diesel generator exhaust is bad and the generator is louder despite having Quiet in it's name.

-Randy
57 useable or 80% of 57? - which would be about 45.

This is fuel you share with water heating, cooking, and usually refrigeration and general heating if needed.

Where I'm at (California high desert) one has to run AC about 12 if not 24 hours a day, and at 100 degrees plus the propane genny has a hard time starting the second AC when its hot.
At about 107 the propane genny stops wanting to run altogether.

Propane is not available at every diesel stop.
I cannot just carry extra fuel for a propane genset like I can diesel with 5 gallon cans.

An extend-a-stay doesnt xfer liquid propane the genset needs to run - only vapor so I have not had good luck with finding a way to keep it running.

I wish I was as happy with my propane setup as you are with yours.

Uncle Dave

chromisdesigns

An extend-a-stay doesnt xfer liquid propane the genset needs to run - only vapor so I have not had good luck with finding a way to keep it running.

Uncle Dave
Your propane genny runs on liquid propane?

The Cummins/Onan in our coach is plumbed in AFTER the main valve and regulator. It runs on low-pressure gas like all the other appliances. In fact, I don't think there is even a liquid tap on our tank (or else it is plugged).

Only exception to this is the extend-a-flow tee installed on the high-pressure side of the regulator to provide fuel for a portable stove and grill.

On that subject, slightly off topic, I just ordered a ball valve to install in line with the extend-a-flow hose at the tee, so I can have a positive turn-off of the grill hose(s) when not using the portable stove. Coming from a marine environment, where I always had a separate propane shutoff for the stove, I just don't trust the integral seals and check valves over the long haul. With hoses connected, you are of course relying on the LAST check valve and seal in the chain, which if you also have a grill or stove hooked up, is actually the appliance valves!

With the new valve, I can just turn off that circuit when it is not in use, and the only potential leaks are from the propane actually in the hose run. About $20 worth of parts and an hour or so of my time to install it, it's cheap peace of mind.

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
Your propane genny runs on liquid propane?

The Cummins/Onan in our coach is plumbed in AFTER the main valve and regulator. It runs on low-pressure gas like all the other appliances. In fact, I don't think there is even a liquid tap on our tank (or else it is plugged).

Only exception to this is the extend-a-flow tee installed on the high-pressure side of the regulator to provide fuel for a portable stove and grill.

On that subject, slightly off topic, I just ordered a ball valve to install in line with the extend-a-flow hose at the tee, so I can have a positive turn-off of the grill hose(s) when not using the portable stove. Coming from a marine environment, where I always had a separate propane shutoff for the stove, I just don't trust the integral seals and check valves over the long haul. With hoses connected, you are of course relying on the LAST check valve and seal in the chain, which if you also have a grill or stove hooked up, is actually the appliance valves!

With the new valve, I can just turn off that circuit when it is not in use, and the only potential leaks are from the propane actually in the hose run. About $20 worth of parts and an hour or so of my time to install it, it's cheap peace of mind.
My 6300 is tapped to the liquid outlet vs. vapor.

I can run my heater, the fridge, a grill off the extend a stay, but not the genset.

This keeps my fridge running when I run out of propane on day 3 dry camping.

UD

aljimenez

...Where I'm at (California high desert) one has to run AC about 12 if not 24 hours a day, and at 100 degrees plus the propane genny has a hard time starting the second AC when its hot. At about 107 the propane genny stops wanting to run altogether....
Uncle Dave
Your situation is one I would not attempt no matter what equipment I have. Over 90 degrees Fahrenheit without external electrical power is extreme for any RV. Running any generator more than about two hours is way too noisy regardless of whether it is propane or diesel. I could not sleep with that noise. If I were ever to do what you are doing, a Honda portable generator that I could move away from where I am camping is the only thing I would consider doing... Al

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
Your situation is one I would not attempt no matter what equipment I have. Over 90 degrees Fahrenheit without external electrical power is extreme for any RV. Running any generator more than about two hours is way too noisy regardless of whether it is propane or diesel. I could not sleep with that noise. If I were ever to do what you are doing, a Honda portable generator that I could move away from where I am camping is the only thing I would consider doing... Al
Then you could forget about RV'ing the summer anywhere in Southern California or Arizona.
All the big lakes out here are about 100 day and night starting from June to about mid September.
Boat trips are a big part of my RV lifestyle.

The water cooled diesels run just fine up to 120 ambient.

I have 2 hondas, and use them in the winter when desert camping or when I only need one AC unit.

In the summer when running air - the two together will not reliably start and run both AC units.

Plus you have to carry a "third fuel" with you that is more volatile than diesel or propane.

UD

Last edited:

aljimenez

Then you could forget about RV'ing the summer anywhere in Southern California or Arizona. All the big lakes out here are about 100 day and night starting from June to about mid September. Boat trips are a big part of my RV lifestyle.
I live in California and camp extensively everywhere, including boon-docking. There are plenty of lakes with campgrounds that have power if we want to do it in the summer. We avoid Arizona in the summer, except at high elevations where the weather is very nice. One of the reasons for having an RV is to move around to the right place each time of the year; e.g. don't camp in Alaska in the winter, nor in Death Valley in the summer. You obviously are enjoying what you are doing, but fighting the weather and temperatures like you do is not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
I live in California and camp extensively everywhere, including boon-docking. There are plenty of lakes with campgrounds that have power if we want to do it in the summer. We avoid Arizona in the summer, except at high elevations where the weather is very nice. One of the reasons for having an RV is to move around to the right place each time of the year; e.g. don't camp in Alaska in the winter, nor in Death Valley in the summer. You obviously are enjoying what you are doing, but fighting the weather and temperatures like you do is not my cup of tea.
Sounds like you go North.

I hear you on dodging the weather, but sometimes you just cant win...Lake Nacimiento was brutal this summer- no hook ups except water. Ran the crap out of my 2 hondas because I needed gasoline with me anyway. Mead and Powell are always hot.

I do my best to find electrical and avoid Havasu in July but I always seem to get stuck somewhere needing more genny run time than my propane rig allows.

I would likely be happy with a bigger tank and a water cooled propane genset if one existed.

Uncle Dave

Top Bottom