Fabric cover for AC roof unit

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
I could not find a discussion I remember about a source for fabric covers for the AC unit. Made in Seattle? Ring a bell? Would accomplish 2 things, prevent the plastic lid from blowing off at speed and prolong its life by protecting it from UV. Anyone have that information?

Thanks

Rob

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
No luck finding that discussion. There was a discussion by an owner about using that pond liner stuff to cover the air conditioner after their cover blew offf.

Did you check the Yahoo Sprinter Westfalia group?

Problem with our Kerstner unit is the unusual size. Standard covers from CampingWorld, etc., don't fit.

Wasaabi

Sprinter Westfalia #133
That was me with the rubber cover. It is EPDM rubber roofing. You basically cut it to size, stretch it over the existing plastic cover, make holes along at various points (a leather punch works well), and use cable ties to connect to the vent holes in the AC unit along the sides. If you want the ability to remove the cover and replace it, maybe some kind of small stainless carabiner hooks could work connected to loops made from cable ties? It may not be the ideal solution, but what’s nice about the rubber roofing is that it stretches and lasts a long time.

Fredb

I'm the one who posted the thread about losing the Air Conditioner cover and ended up getting a weather proof plastic cover constructed.

See attached drawing for dimensions and design I came up with.

I ended up working with a company out of Chicago... http://creativecoversinc.com/. They were very good to work with and do high quality work. The individual I dealt with was Hector. Total cost came out to $310 (see invoice attached as well). .

In hindsight, you could afford to reduce the height by an inch and I would request a stronger/heavier duty draw cord than the one they put on. It works, but would like to have something stronger as you have to pull on it pretty hard to get it to draw around the base of the AC housing.

Overall I was/am very pleased. It does an outstanding job of protecting the AC unit and can be mounted and removed by accessing through the skylight opening and mine has stayed intact through some pretty heavy winds.

Let me know if you have any questions.

FredB

Attachments

Fredb

Rob,

The cinch straps effectively draw the cover down on the sides to avoid any
'billowing'... the center/front of the AC unit is where the height is and so I wanted the ability to draw it down around the perimeter.

FB

What are the cinch straps for?

Thanks

Rob

Fredb

Only real way to do it is to get up on a ladder. It's effectively a one time effort... once cinched the cover can be removed and installed without needing to re-do or so it seems so far... have to confess I've only removed the cover once since installing it, (Don't use the AC too often).

How do you get access to cinch them? Putting it on for a trial and adjusting when off?

I'm not great with stitching even when using a sewing machine.

An option for making a fabric cover could be to use awning material and HH66 cement.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=tools&field-keywords=hh66

Fairly large scraps of awning vinyl material are often available from canvas/awning shops for little cost or even free. They may even have a color you like. :thumbup:

The pieces can be cut and then glued together using the HH66 cement. When properly prepped/ applied the glued joint will not fail.

:cheers: vic

Top Bottom