Here's my lemon list. Your thoughts?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
"street value"...

It depends upon the street...
A friend of mine bought a 2006 long wheelbase cargo in late 2015 for $12,500 near Portland.
That was after almost a year of chasing down CraigsList etc listings in the Seattle and Portland area.
They were seeing vans ranging in the $10k to $24k range, with "quality" not always being proportional to price.
The one they got had the roof-top air conditioner, but i don't recall if it was operational ... they removed it.
My wife recalls that they had to do $1k of repair to bring the Sprinter up to snuff.. that was a known defect that helped make the price low.

just a data point...
--dick

Last edited:
Just for general knowledge how much did you pay? I'm only interested because a friend bought a 2006 2500 with about 150K and 10k miles on a new tranny for about $20K. Not trying to offend, don't answer if not comfortable, mostly wondering the street value of these almost cult status vehicles???

Thanks

No problem...

2005 3500 dually, 83,000 miles

Owner asked $10,995
I bought it for $9500

Keep in mind this is Canadian currency, so converting it to US makes it $7,360 which doesn't sound as bad. LOL

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Fwiw get the auxiliary heater working by next winter if you want to be able to start when it’s cooooooold . Your glow plug issue could br a gp or the module, don’t buy a module until you know which. Read up on changing gp. I’ve changed GPs on other vehicles no problem, this one proceed with caution. If it goes well, awesome, if it goes badly, $$$. Trusting changing the gp to a mechanic is also not a good idea unless they have plenty of experience doing it successfully.

Zundfolge

Always learning...
I personally would change all glow plugs and the module, cheap if you're doing it yourself, and like stated above, would generally not trust a mechanic to do it unless they are very familiar with T1N's. At the low mileage of the engine it's more likely that they will come out without too much trouble, and if there is already sign of other rusted parts on the van it's good insurance to do it now and know that it's done, and that anti-seize is properly applied to the threads. Soaking them in oil for multiple days, multiple heating and cooling cycles, and being very careful, using the write-ups, you should be good. Again, it's cheap insurance against a potentially no good very bad problem down the road...

A side note, everyone seems always too obsessed with low mileage in my opinion. My motto is "maintenance over mileage" when looking at a vehicle, or anything used really. Give me a well maintained 200K vehicle over a rusty and abused, ill-maintained 80K any day.

Just my rant a little, not knocking your purchasing this van whatsoever, it's just something that continually strikes me. Good luck with it!

Top Bottom