Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Sprinter Talk

Sprinter Talk General discussion about anything and everything about Sprinters.
Discussion: Scanners

Old 05-17-2018, 08:33 PM   #1
Bigblacksprinter

Default Rear A/C Not blowing air

Hey guys!

So this Texas heat is in full effect and today I noticed the rear A/C in our 2014 Sprinter 2500 passenger van is not blowing any air at all. Has anyone experienced this before? I did take the cover off from the inside and noticed this black maleable melted stuff (picture attached). Not sure if this has anything to do with it but it does seem out of the ordinary. See pictures below.

Thanks for your help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigblacksprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:24 AM   #2
lindenengineering

Thanked 8,043 Times in 4,188 Posts
Default Re: Rear A/C Not blowing air

Yes it look like something has melted and even had a short down event!
Maybe even let the smoke out of the fan motor and /or the wiring.
Remember these things have smoke built into them and the bigger the wires the bigger the puffs of smoke!
Try 24 volts and let the smoke out--spectacular!

Now the fan motor is fed by some HD wires like #4 battery wire set into the fuse block under the drivers's seat.
Now instead of normal 'sane" Motor Manufacturers putting the wiring harness directly from the fuse block through some trunking MB in their wisdom drops the HD wiring harness out of the box on the left door side into a cavity behind the floor stepper box and plastic cover.

Remove the cover and you will see where these wire sets are joined together by un-insulated non weatherproof connectors which corrode, short down and burn the whole thing out! Including the harnesses which are then routed up through the B pillar past the set belt along the cant rail to your A/C unit!

That looks like a total rip out to fix including an evacuation of the A/C system.
A professional repair job & not too DIY friendly unfortunately.
Dennis
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #3
98Firebird

The black stuff is an insulation Mercedes puts on the a/c lines and especially in warm temperatures always melts off and does what you have pictured, I usually don't see any issues besides the messy goop it makes. If you'd like you can order some new insualtion. It comes in sort of a tape roll I can get you a part number if you'd like. As far as your actual issue I would pull the center section of cover off to allow access to the blower motor regulator and check for power and ground to the regulator. Fun fact it takes the same regulator as the front system. So if you'd like you could remove the glovebox and switch the front regulator for the rear and see if your blower starts working again. Just a thought. And the reason one line is hot and the other is cold is because one is the high pressure line (hot) and the other is the low pressure line (cold)

Last edited by 98Firebird; 05-18-2018 at 04:47 PM.
98Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:07 PM   #4
Bigblacksprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Firebird View Post
The black stuff is an insulation Mercedes puts on the a/c lines and especially in warm temperatures always melts off and does what you have pictured, I usually don't see any issues besides the messy goop it makes. If you'd like you can order some new insualtion. It comes in sort of a tape roll I can get you a part number if you'd like. As far as your actual issue I would pull the center section of cover off to allow access to the blower motor regulator and check for power and ground to the regulator. Fun fact it takes the same regulator as the front system. So if you'd like you could remove the glovebox and switch the front regulator for the rear and see if your blower starts working again. Just a thought. And the reason one line is hot and the other is cold is because one is the high pressure line (hot) and the other is the low pressure line (cold)

Do you have a picture of the blower motor? The fans on the roof are on. There is just nothing blowing into the cabin. Thanks for the help!

Bigblacksprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:28 AM   #5
lindenengineering

Thanked 8,043 Times in 4,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblacksprinter View Post
Do you have a picture of the blower motor? The fans on the roof are on. There is just nothing blowing into the cabin. Thanks for the help!

The fans in the roof are the condenser fans working condensing refrigerant and transferring heat of refrigeration to atmosphere .
The blower fan is a separate unit blowing air down over the cold evaporator which is again cold air into the passenger compartment .
Obviously that fan assy has lost power as I explained or has burnt out/seized !
Apologies but I don't have a picture of it available
Dennis
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote