generic diesel problems

HighPockets

I have a 2000 John Deere 5420 4-w dr. The tractor is a later model of the 5300 3-cyl that John Deere brought out in 1993 as a small (50-60HP) general purpose tractor. I had a problem with the battery dying overnight and not running on all cylinders, sometimes sounding like it was only hitting on one. As we were very busy and needed the tractor we had a JD service man come to the farm (not cheap) to solve the problem. He said the alternator was faulty, was pushing 17 or so volts into the battery and was also causing the fuel pump to misbehave causing the bad running. He disconnected the big wire going to the alternator and proved to himself and my farm worker that it would run correctly now. We put on a new alternator that puts out an even 14v. and I proceed to bush hop the lake dam and other rough areas around the farm that don't get cut by the ZTR. Hello!, it's still missing!

Question 1: Would a faulty alternator really cause the fuel pump/injection system to act up?

Question 2: Would a quality diesel injector cleaner possibly clean up the problem without sending it to the dealer. I plan to try that anyway but still trying to get my head around the problem. We have three diesel tractors and a diesel ZTR mower and my Kawasaki diesel mule. All are "fed" off the same 550 gal. diesel tank filled twice a year.

Any insight into the problem would be appreciated.

Gene

Garandman

Not familiar with this motor but a search says it’s a Deere 4045, 4 cylinder 4.5L engine with mechanical injection. If so, there should only be one wire going to the injection pump, which is the fuel shutoff. That makes it unlikely a misfire is electrical. Does it have an electric fuel pump?

Have you checked the fuel filter(s)? Water in the fuel might cause a miss, which would be random as opposed to the same cylinder. That might be remedied with an additive.

That’s all I know. We have a 32hp Kubota and get all our tractor questions answered at Tractor By Net. Once you sign up (free) you can post in the Deere Owning/Operating section.

HighPockets

My mistake on the model. It is a 5220. It is a 3 cylinder 2.9 liter naturally aspirated engine. I have ordered some BG245 additive to try. Promised today will arrive tomorrow (Wed. June 26th).

Gene

Top Bottom