Front Differential Fluid Change

Capitanlento

I did some tests, with 75w90 synthetic oil and molybdenum disulfide grease I was not successful. with mineral oil motul 85w140 the noise is much lowered both hot and cold. greetings from Italy

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
I changed the gear lube in both differentials today (2018) and was disappointed to find the rear drain plug is not magnetic.
I will be replacing that as soon as I locate a magnetic one.
On the other hand......Both the drain and fill are magnetic on the front. Talk about two distinct engineering philosophies.....
I was also disappointed when I drained approximately 400 mls from the front, and put in between 600 and 700.
There was very little crap on the magnet, so I don’t suspect any damage. I am glad I did it at 13k miles rather than waiting until the proscribed 100k.

Last edited:

EvanS

Does anyone know the thread and pitch of the front diff and transfer case? From memory, the rear diff just had a rubber plug you can pull out by hand.

Any help would be appreciated.

EvanS

I drained and refilled my front and rear diff recently and wanted to share what I found.

With only 4300 miles on the van, I found the front differential drain plug to be completely gunked up with metal shavings.

Here is a link to the video I took.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/t4ZcdUUnmnGREtot5

The front diff drain and fill plugs both have magnets on them. The rear diff does not. Instead it has a rubber fill plug that you pop off with your fingers and a 14mm hex socket with a drain plug that has no magnet attached.

I was going to empty the transfer case too but after slowly letting the drain plug out I saw a little fluid leak out and noticed it was not gear oil but transmission oil. Apparently it needs ATF 134 which Shell sells and I bought on Amazon.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
That plug last looks just like mine did when I changed the fluid at 13k.
It probably looked like that at 1k. That is normal break in stuff for any differential.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
After trying unsuccessfully to locate a part number for a stock MB magnetic differential drain plug, I bought a Dimple.
It has by far the strongest magnet of any drain plug I have experience with. So much so I had difficulty centering the plug in the hole.
I doubt the magnet being overly strong makes much difference in how much crud it will pick up.

CactusJackSlade

After trying unsuccessfully to locate a part number for a stock MB magnetic differential drain plug, I bought a Dimple.
It has by far the strongest magnet of any drain plug I have experience with. So much so I had difficulty centering the plug in the hole.
I doubt the magnet being overly strong makes much difference in how much crud it will pick up.
Nice find! Do you have a part number?

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
Nice find! Do you have a part number?
https://drainplugmagnets.com/cars/mercedes-benz/

M14x1.5×24 Magnetic Drain Plug For Mercedes Benz
Mercedes 2000-present most models 1980s-present many models
This Dimple magnetic drain plug is equipped with a high-temperature magnet for unmatched performance under extreme conditions. It fits most Mercedes Benz models from 2000 to the present, and many models from the 1980’s on up with 4 and 6-cylinder engines using the 14mm drain plug.

$35.95

M24x1.5 Metric Taper Magnetic Drain Plug for Mercedes
Rear differentials
Dimple’s M24x1.5 tapered magnetic drain plug is fitted with a deep-set, powerful 1/2″ magnet.

CactusJackSlade

To add even more confusion to this thread, I just called my local MB dealer to see if they had the Mobile 1 Delvac 75W-90 in stock. The parts guy, after conferring with someone else at the parts counter, said they use Mobile 1 75W-90 LS (and I believe the LS is for limited slip). What am I supposed to think now??! The Delvac is hard to find, the LS is easy to find :-( I wish someone could definitively say if using a gear oil meant for a limited slip differential would harm the non-diff rear end on the Sprinters.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
To add even more confusion to this thread, I just called my local MB dealer to see if they had the Mobile 1 Delvac 75W-90 in stock. The parts guy, after conferring with someone else at the parts counter, said they use Mobile 1 75W-90 LS (and I believe the LS is for limited slip). What am I supposed to think now??! The Delvac is hard to find, the LS is easy to find :-( I wish someone could definitively say if using a gear oil meant for a limited slip differential would harm the non-diff rear end on the Sprinters.
The Delvac is not that hard to find. I bought it from Summit, because they had the best deal, but it is available from Grainger's or Amazon as well.
I have even seen it on the shelf in a truck stop.

CactusJackSlade

The Delvac is not that hard to find. I bought it from Summit, because they had the best deal, but it is available from Grainger's or Amazon as well.
I have even seen it on the shelf in a truck stop.
Well, not hard to find but in my area not a single store carries it - I ordered online (yes, ez to find)

Sprinter SS

I find the dealer on my MB van and cars regularly uses something "close" to spec, not always exact which surprises/does not surprise me i guess. All the more reason i like doing maintenance myself.

Flagster

PXL_20220903_210019757.jpg

Another 30k fluid change out for my diffs... Now at 110k on our 2015 4x4...
About the same amount of metal as there was at 80k... Pictured front diff drain plug/magnet
Fluid had slight discoloration vs new delvac 75-90...

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
View attachment 231539

Another 30k fluid change out for my diffs... Now at 110k on our 2015 4x4...
About the same amount of metal as there was at 80k... Pictured front diff drain plug/magnet
Fluid had slight discoloration vs new delvac 75-90...
My 2018 came with magnetic plugs in both the drain and fill. Anybody else find this?
I changed it at 10k and again at 50k. Not much on the magnets, and the fluid color was not darkened.

JonRobo

I drained and refilled my front and rear diff recently and wanted to share what I found.

With only 4300 miles on the van, I found the front differential drain plug to be completely gunked up with metal shavings.

Here is a link to the video I took.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/t4ZcdUUnmnGREtot5

The front diff drain and fill plugs both have magnets on them. The rear diff does not. Instead it has a rubber fill plug that you pop off with your fingers and a 14mm hex socket with a drain plug that has no magnet attached.

I was going to empty the transfer case too but after slowly letting the drain plug out I saw a little fluid leak out and noticed it was not gear oil but transmission oil. Apparently it needs ATF 134 which Shell sells and I bought on Amazon.
Evan, The video you shared is no longer visible. I'm looking to change my own front diff fluid also but can't locate the plugs etc. Do you mind helping me out by sharing where they are etc. Thanks.

JonRobo

Decided to open the Front Differential at 850 miles and drained the fluid (Thanks to zither99). Very little if any oil came out of the fill hole. When drained, about 500 ml of the differential oil that came out, fluid was still clear but the drain plug magnet was filled with black gunk and some metal shavings (see picture of the rag). This is very unusual IMO for a almost brand new vehicle.
To the new differential fluid, I added 30 ml (1 oz) of Lubegard 63010 Platinum Universal ATF (friction & wear reducer) to 1 Quart (1000 ml) of Mobil 1 75W-140 (manual calls for 75W-90) gear oil. (Did the miscibility test prior to the mixing and no sign of separation, cloudiness or precipitation). Then I parked the Van with the front end a little down slope (on the driveway) to maximize the fill capacity. The amount of total diff. fluid added was about 600 ml. See attached pdf file.
Test drove and the low whining noise was still there but somewhat lower and softer than before (imagination?). It's now ready to go on a long trip. Well, did my best and forgetting the rest (Tony H. P90X moto). At least I've confirmed that the noise came from the front differential.
Thanks so much for these photos. Very helpful in seeing where the front diff plugs are. I've been scratching my head for hours as I didn't see it in the manual. Do you have a different maintenance manual?

Top Bottom