MaxAir vs Fantastic Fan

Jb1rd73

2006 NAFTA 140 HR
What are ya'lls thoughts here, seems like a lot of folks here run the FF, but the MA seems really nice. And what about dual fan install on a 140 HR, is it worth the expense or is 1 sufficient?

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
The advantage of the Maxxair over the FF is the cover design which prevents rain from getting in without a rain sensor. The lid support has two arms instead of one which "allows vent to be open while driving". Not sure about the last comment since I had to replace the handle gearbox because it failed.
The advantage of the FF from reading posts on this forum is the excellent support from FF.

I only have one vent over the rear bed on a 144" WB and see no need for a second fan. Lots of air flow with a floor hole or crack open the front windows.

pfflyer

Couldn't agree with Dave more. So far no complaints with my Maxxaire vent. Seems 2 would be overkill. As long as you balance air in to what you are exhausting out one fan is plenty for my application. It will even suck air from my vents if windows not open enough. Maybe no one raves about Maxxair customer service because they never have to call. haha I did call with an installation question and they were more than helpful.

Charlie

2008 2500 170 Diesel
I had to make the same decision a few years ago for our 170 conversion. I chose the Maxxair for the same reason as Dave - you can leave the vent open if it is raining. Here in the NW, that is a fairly big deal.

We installed 2 vents just to make sure we could move enough air to keep our cat safe, though we often need to run only one.

One thing I've noticed is that the unit will sometimes turn on when I'm using a wireless mouse in the van. Although I don't have the remote option, I suspect the receiver is in the unit, just to simplify stocking and leave open the future possibility of selling the remote. Does anyone know if this is true?

boardster

I have two FF's but it is overkill, I never use a fan speed higher than "1".
But if I were to do another Sprinter in the future I would skip any crank out awning screened windows and just go with a few fixed glass ones but make up for it with two roof fans. Parked they are far more secure than leaving windows open, will close with rain sensors or no need with the Max, less sheet metal being eliminated, less area for increased corrosion potential, and can set one to suck in and the other out. For sleeping in secure campgrounds etc. I would use screens on the cab side windows if I needed any more air.
Just saying really that the crank-out awning windows are very expensive, have finicky mechanisms, won't keep wind-blown rain out, are tricky and/or expensive to install, and provide very little open area. Factory glass looks much nicer from the inside as well as exterior, and should be free-er of corrosion long-term.

dickknapp

dickknapp
I installed FF mid-van and Fantastic vent over bed in back. Can run the fan with remote from bed. Works nicely. Chose FF because it replaced another make and Fantastic offers a clamp model that didn't need more holes drilled. Also the Fantastic was lower clearance, though I now think that is not an issue. I did have some contact with factory and I agree that their support is superb.

NBB

If you are jamming things onto your roof - solar panels, whatever - the MaxAir takes up a larger footprint, so that might be an issue to consider. I have a Fantastic. I've never had issues with rain, just use the knob to "override" the automatic lift/lower and set the cover to a place where the rain won't get in, if needed. This works fine for all but the heaviest of downpours. The rain sensor is still on, it just doesn't get triggered.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
I had both, did not like FF due to shuddering during primarily closing. I believe the shuddering was due to the single lift arm by design. The shuddering increased with the heavier double pane dome. Lubrication helped for a while but chattering returned.

MaxxAir has 2 arms and manual and electric opening or closing of the dome are smooth. Slightly opened Maxxair vibrates while vehicle is in slow motion, this noise goes away at higher speeds with air pushing the dome down.

FF has optional double pane dome and I don't think the MaxxAir has one.

George.

pfflyer

If you are jamming things onto your roof - solar panels, whatever - the MaxAir takes up a larger footprint, so that might be an issue to consider. QUOTE]

Only if you install other than the rear of the van. Same hole size but there is more overhang to the rear. Whatever fan you choose, I recommend installing one even for those that just use their Sprinters just for cargo.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Just received an email from Maxxair about driving with the vent open. They say either fully open or fully closed. Might explain the gearbox failure since I have driven with it partially open.

Inertiaman

Interior profile?

Do the FF and Maxxair have similar interior profiles? As in how far it protrudes down into the van? Does a proper installation leave the vent roughly even with the OEM headliner? Or does it protrude further?

I'm trying to preserve headroom. At 6'3" every tiny bit matters.

Leaning toward Maxxair based on what I've read.

pfflyer

My Maxair protrudes just the thickness of the flange maybe 1/8" or less. Everything else is recessed. I'm 6'4" so feel your pain.

shanemac

I started looking for roof fans (planning on some stealth weekend camping...well sleeping in the van) from what I gather it comes down to the MaxxAir or the Fan-Tastic Fan. I'am leaning toward the MaxxAir one reason there on sale at Amazon :clapping:

I was looking at this one http://www.amazon.ca/Maxxair-00-06200K-MaxxFan-Ventillation-Opening/dp/B002OW5JIU/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1429462531&sr=1-6

Do others find this model has enough of a low profile? or does it look like it sits to tall on a sprinters roof? I think its 6 inches high when closed.

I'll have to continue with some more reading in the mean time.

pfflyer

I wouldn't call it stealth when open but closed its not that noticeable. Being able to open in the rain with the fan running or not is priceless. While parked you don't have to have it all the way open or open at all to run the fan.

gavia

Hi Shanemac

Not sure where in Alberta you are but Allen-Dale RV in Red Deer has the MaxAir 7000 for about $350.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
The only (2) reasons to get a Fantastic is you don't know better, and/or you can't afford a MaxAir.

jostalli

The only (2) reasons to get a Fantastic is you don't know better, and/or you can't afford a MaxAir.
Silly response.

Here are my reasons for choosing the Fantastic Vent over the Maxxair:

1) The 4000/1250 model is all you really need and it's easily had online for $100-$130 shipped.
2) Not only does it sit closer to the van roof than the Maxxair but I also got the flat lid, which makes it even less noticeable on the roof. Best stealth option as it is only ~3 inches high when closed.
3) It let's a lot of light in. Maxxair does not let light in.

Last edited:

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Silly response.

Here are my reasons for choosing the Fantastic Vent over the Maxxair:

1) The 4000/1250 model is all you really need and it's easily had online for $100-$130 shipped.
2) Not only does it sit closer to the van roof than the Maxxair but I also got the flat lid, which makes it even less noticeable on the roof. Best stealth option as it is only ~3 inches high when closed.
3) It let's a lot of light in. Maxxair does not let light in.
Thank you.... for validating my points. :thumbup:

shanemac

Thanks for feed back, hummm decisions. The thought of cutting a hole in my roof makes me sick though. I would like low key stealth but I think I could live with a taller profile too.

I did find Geek's build thread with a roof fan install, which is easing the big hole roof syndrome.

Last edited:

Top Bottom