Refer mechanic to install hitch in SF bay?

MatthewStewart

I have a 2015 passenger sprinter, and am about to enter trailer land! I will be buying a used travel trailer with electric brakes. I need a referral to a mechanic to install the hitch and wiring harness. I live in Marin county, so somebody within 25 miles would be great.

One place I talked to, Rack and Road, wanted to install a wireless control unit. Said it would save costs. Any feedback on this?

Also want to install C channel rails on roof.

I am a skilled mechanic, but don't really do it anymore. If someone has a recommendation for good kits for either job, I am interested.

Matthew

surlyoldbill

I'd offer to do it, but I don't like rolling around upside down under cars much anymore. It makes me nauseous for the rest of the the day.

HarryN

We put T slot rails on sprinters as part of solar install projects. Is that what you are looking for or something else? I have a set of rails (one continuous piece) for a 170 in stock.

( I actually have 2 sets but one is mounted to our test stand and it is staying there )

If you can use the standard MB setup it is significantly cheaper and easier to have done at the dealer. These are a one piece rail - the full length of the roof - and it takes 3 people to install them. Not 2 workers and a watcher - 3 people actively doing things.

This setup is really for absolutely maximizing the number of panels on a roof. If that isn't your goal use the standard rails. There is a photo in the link in my signature if you are curious. The advantage of these rails is that they already deal with the raised center part of the roof so you don't need to add more adapters.

BTW - as far as I know - all roof rail / channel mounts will require access to both the top of the roof and interior side where the roof gutter is. Pretty much this means that either the interior needs to be removed or you need to be willing to cover over the holes that will need to be drilled through the fabric. There are nuts and washers involved. Not rivnuts - regular hex nuts.

Last edited:

mtbkers

On our last Sprinter, Rack n Road (now Rackspot San Carlos) installed rails/C channel and didn't remove interior ceiling panels as Outsidevan had already completed the conversion. They've also installed all of our tow hitches over several years/vehicles. Not sure which Rack n Road you're going to, but the San Carlos one is really good.

On the new van, my husband bought OEM roof rails on Ebay and installed them himself. It was one of the easier jobs if I remember (he's not experienced in putting holes in vehicles so he wouldn't have done it if it had have been difficult). And I'm pretty sure he didn't remove the interior roof panels for that either. I could be wrong, but I think the seal is created by tightening the bolt.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-up-Me...-Base-Roof-rails-OEM-6656075264-/252395745542

MatthewStewart

Thanks everyone for chiming in! Here is what I found so far. Santa Rosa Mercedes just referred out the installation to Campways Santa Rosa. Second time I called them, they said that they had problems with the Mercedes plug, and won't do the electrical component anymore. But they will gladly install the hitch.

Rack and Road in San Rafael gave me a very high rough quote, over $1,500. He also recommended going with a RF brake controller, not a hardwired one. Said it was cheaper, less labor. When I commented that his price seemed rather high, the guy said that they don't do very much hitch installs. Maybe he meant for travel trailers. Maybe the San Carlos location are more knowledgable?

One responder to my question said that it was recommended to have the wiring integrated with the van's stability or traction control? Does this happen just by using the factory plug that Campways was talking about? How important is this?

Any help is appreciated, and recommendation of place that would actually do the install.

mtbkers

Rack Spot charged me $250 for the Curt hitch and $130 for install (no electrics). Don't know how complicated wiring is, but the price you've been given seems high.

Another idea is to speak with Jon the Mobile Mercedes Doctor. He's fantastic and used to work for Mercedes in SF (although I'm loathed to advertise him as he's become all but impossible to book these days!). He won't drive as far north as you are, but If he can't help you, I'm pretty sure he can point you in the right direction.

http://www.mobilemercedesdoctor.com/

One responder to my question said that it was recommended to have the wiring integrated with the van's stability or traction control? Does this happen just by using the factory plug that Campways was talking about? How important is this?
The Trailer Stability Program is very nice to have. Unfortunately Mercedes has designed it such that if it wasn't ordered from the factory you can't get it. It cannot be installed after the fact. Not even by a Mercedes dealership.

...Any help is appreciated, and recommendation of place that would actually do the install.
The hitch bolts into place. It is not rocket science. There is little difficulty in installing a tow hitch. Do you have U-haul in your area? They install hitches.

U-Haul can likely install an aftermarket power module for the trailer lights. Being that TSP isn't enabled by using even a Mercedes OEM trailer harness, I personally feel a properly installed powered light module s fine. There will be those who disagree.

The RF brake controller can save wiring. I have no idea if they are cost effective over a traditional proportional type hard wired controller.

Good luck.
vic

Top Bottom