Stabilizer jacks

bear112

I have stabilizer jacks on my 2012 Serenity which have become quite noisy when extending and retracting them. They are obviously in need of lubrication, but since I can't fit under the vehicle to service them myself, I'm thinking about having the Mercedes dealership do it when it is on the hoist for its next service. Has anyone had this done? What is the recommended lubricant? I can't find any reference to this in the owner's manual. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

chromisdesigns

I would check with them first. Some dealer service departments won't work on anything not installed by Mercedes or a Mercedes service center. Just one of the little joys involved with owning an RV.

bear112

I'm not actually sure; there is a rocker switch on my control panel to extend and retract them, and if I forget to retract them before starting the vehicle, they will retract automatically before I can start up.

JimDyson

If you see the Equalizer Systems brand name on the control switch they are probably the StabiLite product found at this link http://equalizersystems.com/rvs/motorized/stabi-lite/

You might either find some service literature on their site or request some information from them.

In general, most people use a lubricant that is dry wax type so as to not attract dirt. but it would be best to double-check what's recommended.

hope this helps...

Chip D

Chip D, 2013 Serenity
I have stabilizer jacks on my 2012 Serenity which have become quite noisy when extending and retracting them. They are obviously in need of lubrication, but since I can't fit under the vehicle to service them myself, I'm thinking about having the Mercedes dealership do it when it is on the hoist for its next service. Has anyone had this done? What is the recommended lubricant? I can't find any reference to this in the owner's manual. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Yeah, I had the same problem. So just climbed under the rig when the stabilizers were set, and hit the screw with Silicone spray that will handle the water and salt and stuff from the road. It's much easier if you have 2 people. One to hit the retract while you are under the rig squirting the screw. Amazing what a little Silicone lubricant will do. While yer at it, you might as well do the Electric steps too.

Chip D.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
If you have a driveway just pull out into the street for a second and you have LOTS of space underneath to do the quick job of lubing the stabilizers. I guess I am assuming you are not on a main drag.

I purchased those plastic squares for lifting the RV so I can get under. The stack of them perfectly fit under the drivers seat in that locker under the fuel flap. Still leaves space as wide as the door to put other things in, I have a shopping basket that exactly fits that part of the locker to make it easy to get to my cords and such that I always have in the RV.

-Randy

I realize this is an old thread but here's the maintenance recommendation from Equalizer Systems for the Stabi-Lite/Level-Lite systems we have:

From http://equalizersystems.com/wp-cont...int-troubleshooting-Stabi-Lite-Level-Lite.pdf:

Keep the leg assemblies clean. Extend the leg to around mid-point and clean the assembly using a wet rag. A mild detergent such as a car wash solution may be used. If using a spray cleaner such as Simple Green or fantastic do not spray heavily on to the motor gearbox potion. It may be rinsed using low pressure spray from a hose. (Do not use a pressure washer)

It is important that the screw/nut be kept clean and dry. In extreme cases the use of WD-40 or similar may be used to clean the screw/nut the leg assemblies however they then must be completely washed and rinsed and allowed to dry. The use of compressed air may be used to help the drying process.

After cleaning, the pivot points and the screw/nut must be lubricated Lubrication must be done using a dry film Silicon/Teflon Spray lubricant or Boeshield T-9 is the currently recommended lubricant. The use of oily or greasy lubricants is not allowed as they will attract dirt which will create issues with the screw/nut.
And the installation and operation guide is here: http://equalizersystems.com/wp-cont.../Stabi-Lite_Installation_Operation_Manual.pdf

GAMacky

I just have a quick question. I suppose that the stabilizer can't be used as leveling jacks? Wouldn't it make more sense to have automatic leveling jacks instead of these?

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
The reason for stabilizer jacks is to reduce rocking, a big problem when people get in or out of a little RV. They also make devices that stabilize your extended step to the ground. Those make more sense to me but are less automatic, you could drive off and leave them. The hydraulic leveling jacks are able to lift the RV so they are quite heavy and most Class C Sprinters don't have that kind of CCC. I know the Serenity has gotten smaller water and propane tanks over the years to increase their load capability, wouldn't wanna loose all that benefit to carry some jacks around that I am never going to need.

Not that I wasn't thrilled to have them in my 40 footer, but it's harder to repark a 40' RV, trying to make it level.

-Randy

hoosierrun

Yes, some people get the stabilizer jacks removed and have leveling jacks installed. It think it is over $2K to get this done.

geds

2018 Serenity
$3704.65 to be exact. I opted to not install the stabilizers and have the leveling jacks installed instead. The levelers will stabilize the coach while leveling it and only add about 50 lbs.

Simplified

2019 Unity TB
I just have a quick question. I suppose that the stabilizer can't be used as leveling jacks? Wouldn't it make more sense to have automatic leveling jacks instead of these?

That's what we plan to do. Will probably go with Equalizer Systems in Elkhart, In.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D Handford

I have 1 stabilizer that won't extend. It starts then stops after it turns 3-4 times. Does anyone know if there is a limit switch somewhere

Chip D

Chip D, 2013 Serenity
I have 1 stabilizer that won't extend. It starts then stops after it turns 3-4 times. Does anyone know if there is a limit switch somewhere
No limit switch, it just times out at the end of the sequence I think. Had the same problem and it all came down to lubrication. Lube the screw, lube the end piece which I think is a brass insert, and in my case locked up, so had to remove it to free it, and lube all the moving bolts down to the base.

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
The controller output can then be adjusted by using the dials on the controller to provide more or less force to either stabilizer leg. The Higher Number = greater lifting force applied to that stabilizer leg. I don't know where the controller is in a Serenity but mine was in my tv cabinet screwed to the floor. So look around inside your cabinets or seat/bed bases to find it. When my one stabilizer wouldn't retract it was because the leg actually broke as described by KMAY in this thread,
Evidently you can get a replacement leg from Equalizer Systems, but I decided to go to their shop and have them remove the stabilizers and install their new Smart Levelers. The stabilizers never did much for me, but I really love the Levelers! The other failure mechanisms are either the switch or controller and I sold my abandoned in place switch and controller to another Forum member who needed them for his repair. See this thread,
The replacements from Equalizer are more than $300 so if you can find someone on the Unity/Serenity Forum who still has their old switch and controller abandoned in place from their upgrade to Levelers you could save some money.

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom