best radio upgrade

mrfizzix

best radio upgrade perhaps with touch screen. that fits the g24 dash I just ordered 4" alpine speakers.

bkdiem

There are a bunch of 9" touchscreen units advertised with sprinter compatibility, but I can't find any real world stories that convince me it's a good idea.

I've personally seen the pioneer x009 installed in a 2016 4x4 sprinter. It completely replaces the silly factory unit, and looks like it was meant to be there. It's also a $2200 unit with a 800 x 480 resolution...

The nameless knockoffs offer a 1024 x 600 touchscreen for $400

Would love some feedback by anyone who has had experience with 9" units other than the expensive alpine one.

Here are some links...
https://www.seicane.com/touchscreen...ystem-wifi-mirror-link-obd2-bluetooth-s129682

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mrj4OUzYCNU

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/9-T...Vito-Sprinter-W169-W639-W245/32756775014.html

https://www.amazon.com/Stereo-1024X...TF8&qid=1505658197&sr=1-4&keywords=9"+android

bkdiem

I just ordered the 9" unit from Amazon , which is identical to the "seicane" device...
It looks like it's shipping direct from china, but it's an amazon order, so I can count on a decent return policy if it's worthless.

Please chime in if you have experience hooking these up, or if you know of any adapters / other parts necessary to install it up properly.

Also it may require some plastic dash alterations... may suggestions in this arena?

Thanks

Ben

alexk243

KulAdventure
Have you installed the 4" alpines yet? May take some modifications, I just installed them in place of 4" Rockford fosgates.

bkdiem

99% perfect

first perfect into factory trim, zero modifications required
wiring harness included (plug & play)

steering wheel controls work
gps works
bluetooth hands free works
bluetooth music works
(no apple car play)

single negative.... no video adapter so no back up camera yet.

waiting on adapter that will convert the mercedes factory back up camera to regular RCA input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curryhouse

Hi bkdiem, the upgrade looks good. Any tips and/or tricks for removing the surround? Have just purchased a Sprinter campervan with a basic radio and am looking to upgrade. Thanks.

sprinterPaul

Hi bkdiem, the upgrade looks good. Any tips and/or tricks for removing the surround? Have just purchased a Sprinter campervan with a basic radio and am looking to upgrade. Thanks.

Put your finger nails behind it and pop off gently. Easiest part to remove.

HighPockets

I just purchased a Pioneer AVH4201. Plan to get my navigation through my iPhone. While on the subject the part of the dash that I haven't figured out how to get off is the piece on each side that has the side vent in it. I plan to use a Morel Maximo component system and mount the tweeter above the vent. It will fire angled up toward me. I am using Hein's adapter ring which enables the use of the 6 1/2" speakers.

Gene

sprinterPaul

I just purchased a Pioneer AVH4201. Plan to get my navigation through my iPhone. While on the subject the part of the dash that I haven't figured out how to get off is the piece on each side that has the side vent in it. I plan to use a Morel Maximo component system and mount the tweeter above the vent. It will fire angled up toward me. I am using Hein's adapter ring which enables the use of the 6 1/2" speakers.

Gene

Pop center trim like I described above and then there are two torx screws on each side. Use Fingers to remove

Last edited:

HighPockets

I have the wide piece off that has the windshield vent in it and the speaker grill too. The piece I am having difficulty with is forward of the speaker grill and wraps around the front with the forward facing vent in it. You can see that the top of piece slides in a slot but the rest has very tight clearances, not wide enough to get a panel removal tool into. I have a quality set but not knowing what is holding it in I hesitate to use force and booger up my dash. You don't normally need to take this piece off to replace the radio so I haven't seen any instructions on the radio removal installations pieces I have read. Perhaps I should be looking for air bag removal instructions. :thinking:

Gene

sprinterPaul

I think you are talking about this piece around the vent. Two screws only. Where i am pointing in the pictures. Top part is pressed in.

Pull from bottom right and work your way up. the whole thing pops right off. No tools. Took me 30 seconds including pictures and typing. Bottom left on driver side.

Last edited:

HighPockets

Boy-o-boy! Well that wasn't the piece either (I may need that one off later). It is the piece on the FAR right. Not to worry I finally got it off. I tired to get the center piece above the glove box off to expose screws, no go. While looking under the dash for screws to take it off I noticed the screws to take the trim off under the piece I needed off. Removed that and it exposed the screws on bottom of the piece I needed off, also there was one on top rear. It came right off. Didn't need to take the glove box out but now that it is out I would be remiss if I didn't service the AVHC fan. I know there are threads on that. Thank you sprinterPaul for staying with me and encouraging me. :cheers:

Gene

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
99% perfect

gps works
bluetooth music works
(no apple car play)

waiting on adapter that will convert the mercedes factory back up camera to regular RCA input

Thank you for posting this installation. It seems as wiring harness is good for Sound5 or Audio 15A MB radios. I have difficulties to locate wiring harness to install the Audio15 in lieu of my current one Sound5.

A couple of questions:

1. Do you have a final picture, did the radio came with a finish bezel?
2. Con you mirror your android phone GPS image on the radio?

Thank you,

George.

capt.dan

:bounce: November 10, 2019
Just wanted to share my experience installing an aftermarket Android GPS head unit with backup camera with you guys. I took a risk and purchased this Hizpo 9" display with Android V9.0 from Amazon and installed it on my 2008 Freightliner Sprinter van. There were 2 cable harnesses that came with the unit, one for the Mercedes cars and the other for Sprinter vans. The harness for Sprinter plugs directly into the stock socket, no cable cutting required. After installation, the unit did not come on when the ignition is turned on. I later discovered that the "CANBUS" unit (a plastic box with circuit board) was not on the harness that I installed. I looked around and found it attached to the other unused harness for Mercedes cars. I removed it and plugged it in to the one I'm using and Voi-la the unit booted. It turns out the CANBUS is the brain to everything on the system - it detects reverse signal and activates the backup camera automatically. You don't need to splice the reverse cable for the signal, awesome! No need to remove A pillar cover, rail and dash covers. However, the backup camera that came with the unit the cable is not long enough to reach the dash, so I purchased a separate camera with 10m/30ft long cable. I ran the cable from the back of the van on driver side to behind the driver seat and tugged the cable inside the A pillar down to floor and under the floor mats out under the dash on the passenger side to the head unit. For the GPS antenna, I glued it to a neodymium disc magnet and attached to the rooftop of the van on passenger side. There are no installing instructions with the unit and you have to figure things out on your own. It worth the cheap price though, 260 bucks! The attached pics should clear up everything what I described above. GPS works great and I'm very happy with it.
Dan

Attachments

ZH Creations

99% perfect

gps works
bluetooth music works
(no apple car play)

I tried the same unit but I couldn't make it work, it was completely dead. Did anyone have a similar problem like that?

Top Bottom