Mattress Recommendation

AndyMAC

We used the Zinus memory foam mattresses (6") from Amazon. The van was more comfortable than my bed at home. Be sure to use Hypervent under foam mattresses so you don't get condensation. Holes drilled in plywood will not provide adequate air flow.

Sunny&75

We used the Zinus memory foam mattresses (6") from Amazon. The van was more comfortable than my bed at home. Be sure to use Hypervent under foam mattresses so you don't get condensation. Holes drilled in plywood will not provide adequate air flow.
i found this product for an alternative for "Hypervent". What do you think? Lots cheaper.
https://demandproducts.com/OWA/Prod...er-alley-7-16-11mm-1-roll-37-x-58-180-sq-feet

or: https://www.homedepot.com/p/DMX-1-S...Prevents-Mold-and-Mildew-DMX-1-Step/204494289

Last edited:

sparkplug

Hi Sunny,

My concern with that would be that it looks like it is designed to be used vertically as a ventilation layer. The question in my mind is whether or not it would just squash flat if you used it horizontally and put any weight on it.

There are lots of alternatives to Hypervent - the one I'm considering buying is Airmat™ as it also has antibacterial properties and is flame retardant.

There are also some eBay sellers who tend to list as "3D spacer mesh" and some of those are very good prices, but do check carefully how thick they are. I've seen 3mm to 12mm - so quite a difference.

B

billintomahawk

The foam factory will do all kinds of custom mattresses of a foam of your choice and then wrap it in Dacron(if you want) and cover it with fabric.

https://www.thefoamfactory.com/

They made a custom folding mattress for me that turns the sleeping platform into a couch.

Their workmanship was great and they are fast at gettng custom work done.

These pics arent the best but they give the idea. Because headroom was at a minimum they made a 3" mattress for merather than 4-6 inches and a softer foam) out of their LUX regular foam. It is firm but comfortable to sleep on. It is covered with their futon fabric and wrapped with Dacron so that it puffs up and fits tightly in the covering.

I just slept on it for 3 weeks straight, I recommend it if headroom is at a premium in your van.

I dropped some cash on the whole project but the HD foam advertises a 5-8 year life(check thee specs). Based on the price of motel rooms the mattress is already paid for. I slept in my sleeping bag zipped open, a cotton sheet or something like that would be nice.
The fabric showwn in the pictures is their Khaki twill.

My cover does zip off and is washable.

bill in tomahawk

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunny&75

Hi Sunny,

My concern with that would be that it looks like it is designed to be used vertically as a ventilation layer. The question in my mind is whether or not it would just squash flat if you used it horizontally and put any weight on it.

There are lots of alternatives to Hypervent - the one I'm considering buying is Airmat™ as it also has antibacterial properties and is flame retardant.

There are also some eBay sellers who tend to list as "3D spacer mesh" and some of those are very good prices, but do check carefully how thick they are. I've seen 3mm to 12mm - so quite a difference.
Airmat doesn't seem to be sold in the US?

sparkplug

Airmat doesn't seem to be sold in the US?
Can't help you with that unfortunately - but do a search for "3D spacer mesh" or "mattress ventilation" and you should find lots of alternative brands. From memory there was another called "Dry-Mat" which came up a lot which sounded good but I can't say if that's available in the US.

There were at least two or three products which came up for me here in the UK which were very similar if not identical to the Airmat - but the Airmat was marginally cheaper.

I’m done with foam, at least I think I am. Got some combination foam /memory foam from Amazon a few years ago and while I have been fairly comfortable it gets unbearably hot in the summer and can freeze in the winter quite easily. Also it just doenlenst sleep as well as a spring mattress-LOTS of tossing and turning comparatively. Anyhow I started thinking about what the inside of a traditional mattress looks like and I’m Just going to buy a thinner mattress, cut it up and just “seal it”. I spend a couple hundred nights a year in there so why not have a traditional mattress? I mean I’ve hacked and rigged every other thing else so why not this lol

B

billintomahawk

I’m done with foam, at least I think I am. Got some combination foam /memory foam from Amazon a few years ago and while I have been fairly comfortable it gets unbearably hot in the summer and can freeze in the winter quite easily. Also it just doenlenst sleep as well as a spring mattress-LOTS of tossing and turning comparatively. Anyhow I started thinking about what the inside of a traditional mattress looks like and I’m Just going to buy a thinner mattress, cut it up and just “seal it”. I spend a couple hundred nights a year in there so why not have a traditional mattress? I mean I’ve hacked and rigged every other thing else so why not this lol
I've just spent a month on my mattress crafted by the foam factory. Pictures in an earlier post with a link.

It does not sleep hot, but it is firm. I would suggest giving the foam factory a call to discus your problems and needs.

There are many different types of foam and ways to cover it for a mattress.

I found them and their website knowledgeable.

bill

Last edited by a moderator:

bcman

Before you go to all that trouble, it might be worth trying latex foam. It's more pricey than memory foam, but much cooler, and the firmness isn't temperature-dependent. We have the 3.75" Ikea cheap foam mattress with a 2" latex topper from Foam Order.

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
I went with a multi-layer mattress solution as well. We use our van for a multitude of purposes, and we put the bed in and take it out often enough that I wanted to make it easy for one person to remove/install the mattress. We have a queen size Lucid 3" tri-fold mattress layered with a 2" Therapedic(?) memory foam topper (from Bed Bath and Beyond). The one folds, the other rolls up, and each can be managed by a single individual. If these weren't enough, I was planning on adding a third layer using a Froli spring system; so far that hasn't been necessary.

Philip53

2021 2500 Sprinter 170, 4 cyl gas
We just returned from our first trip, and were really pleased with our hybrid mattress from Mattress Insiders (Colorado). The mattresses were custom made to fit the Sprinter angle at each rear corner, and had 6" of pocketed coils covered with a foam layer, and then a polyester quilted top layer. Kinda thick, but just as good as my double mattress at home.

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
We just returned from our first trip, and were really pleased with our hybrid mattress from Mattress Insiders (Colorado). The mattresses were custom made to fit the Sprinter angle at each rear corner, and had 6" of pocketed coils covered with a foam layer, and then a polyester quilted top layer. Kinda thick, but just as good as my double mattress at home.
Sounds nice.

Enginenumber

Hi there,
Lots a talk on foam mattresses , but none identifying the density of the foam , I have had about 5 foam mattresses over the years ,mainly from Clark rubber and cost some ,3” used for camping , all labeled , firm , heavy duty or high density , etc , lots a sales and marketing , it won’t sag , you won’t have any issues they say, after 12 months could feel the ground and very soft each one, I now run a 4” foam mattress 35/200 10 yr warranty , this is stiff , not much give , good for your back in my opinion , commercial grade , took a while for me to get used to it , but doubt I will be replacing it any time soon. Foam degrades and breaks down over time, so be aware of sales hype.

hope this helps,
Engine number

Top Bottom