How To Ship a Sprinter from the USA to Europe (Fall 2016 edition)

DahSprinter

I would recommend check with some of your fellow service members, if anyone done something similar. I remember as a kid living in GER, I saw many service members driving with license plates indicating that they are station there. If you move your van with the "roll-on/roll-off" system, I believe you can officially travel as a tourist (assuming insurance is in order) for 1 year. After that you may have to sell the vehicle, leave the EU or pay a hefty import tax. Technically I would think traveling for a couple days i.e. Switzerland or any other non EU country would be sufficient. Just my 2 cents

PocketDrop

I would recommend check with some of your fellow service members, if anyone done something similar. I remember as a kid living in GER, I saw many service members driving with license plates indicating that they are station there. If you move your van with the "roll-on/roll-off" system, I believe you can officially travel as a tourist (assuming insurance is in order) for 1 year. After that you may have to sell the vehicle, leave the EU or pay a hefty import tax. Technically I would think traveling for a couple days i.e. Switzerland or any other non EU country would be sufficient. Just my 2 cents
Thanks for the input! Do you have any idea how the hightop dodge sprinters do with the emission standards? Or do you know how i could potentially find out?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DahSprinter

sorry, don't have any inside on that issue. I know that i.e. Germany is drastically raising the bar for Diesel vehicles. Some cities have a total ban to get to the downtown areas. I guess a lot depends what country you are actually stationed.

PocketDrop

sorry, don't have any inside on that issue. I know that i.e. Germany is drastically raising the bar for Diesel vehicles. Some cities have a total ban to get to the downtown areas. I guess a lot depends what country you are actually stationed.
Dang, that a little disheartening beings the goal would be to travel to as many places in europe as possible in my off time. But thanks for the info! I definitely have a lot of research to do.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
USA sprinters generally are equivalent to, or exceed the same year emissions standards for European vehicles. It depends on the country, but some will let you register a vehicle that passes an emissions and safety inspection. You may need a letter from mercedes (hard to get) stating that your vehicle complies with the relevant emissions standards. I know some countries (USA included) will let returning/stationed military members permanently import a vehicle. So if you can't use such an arrangement at your deployment country, you could in theory buy a vehicle in Europe, and bring it back to the USA.

PocketDrop

USA sprinters generally are equivalent to, or exceed the same year emissions standards for European vehicles. It depends on the country, but some will let you register a vehicle that passes an emissions and safety inspection. You may need a letter from mercedes (hard to get) stating that your vehicle complies with the relevant emissions standards. I know some countries (USA included) will let returning/stationed military members permanently import a vehicle. So if you can't use such an arrangement at your deployment country, you could in theory buy a vehicle in Europe, and bring it back to the USA.
Good to know. I'm taking the van in for its ecu recall tonight/tomorrow. I'll askk them then about the emission standards and what I would have to do to get it approved. Hopefully they can help me out!

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
I read a post yesterday from LTV about a couple who bought an RV here to tour the states and ended up shipping it back to New Zealand when they finished. The advantage of a smaller RV would be taking it more easily on such ferries. That has now become one of my life goals to get the RV to Europe and elsewhere, perhaps drive it across Russia or India and then catch the ferry to Australia from there, and eventually come home via the Pacific... Of course, I can get to South America with a short ferry ride from Panama to Columbia, probably worth doing that first.

-Randy

PaulDavis

For a regular civilian, you basically you can't do that in any easy way. Your vehicle will have to registered, inspected and converted to meet local regulations. You may also have to pay local taxes on the vehicle. In the UK and I think most of EU, even working there will not cover more than 1 year.

You may be better off talking with people inside the military heirarchy to ask them if they have any special agreements with the host country that would cover your vehicle.

PaulDavis

This is incorrect. The rules within the EU do not "reset" when you leave the EU. They are typically worded as "6 months within any 12 month period". You cannot "cheat" by taking a quick trip to Switzerland or Morocco - when you get back, the clock is still ticking.

You also don't get 1 year as a tourist, only 6 months before having to take more involved action. That's true for the UK, FR and Spain when I checked 18 months ago.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
So you could ship your RV there, travel during the vacation season, head home for 6 months and return the next year and do it all again? Of course, if I register the van there I don't have to register and insure it here in California, so perhaps that's a win too.

-Randy

PaulDavis

The EU will allow a US vehicle to be present inside EU borders for 6 months out of every 12, so in theory if you're willing to pay for shipping back and forth, yes you could do that. The shipping is not cheap though, and would not be even remotely balanced out by the difference in registration costs. I am fairly sure that the UK (for example) actually charges more. My understanding is that the cost of making your US vehicle legal on a permanent basis in the EU is really substantial.

But I think you may have misread what I wrote as applying to you (as a person) as a tourist. That also happens to be (roughly) true, but it wasn't what I meant. The UK wil give most US citizens a 6 month entry permit on arrival. You can leave and come back and often (but not always) the clock will reset. When we were there last year, my wife (US citizen) got her 6 month stamp, we stayed in the UK for 2 months, then left (in the van) for Spain & France. When we arrived back in the UK two months later, they restamped her passport. They didn't have to do that, but we had been out of the country long enough that I think they opted to do so.

Most EU countries will only give a US citizen a 3 month entry permit. In theory that resets when you leave the Schengen zone and re-enter, but doing that too frequently will get them agitated about what you're doing.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Why not buy a Sprinter based MotorHome (RV to you) and then either keep in storage in your chosen country or sell again when you leave?

A good quality T1N based coachbuilt MH can be purchased in the UK for £20,000 to £25,000 and for this you should find models with only 30,000 to 40,000 miles recorded.

Try searching eBay.co.uk or let me know and I’ll try and post a few links (I’m on holiday in Italy at the moment so it’s not easy for me to post links).

And as an added bonus Euro spec T1N,s typically do not have EGR or DPF,s etc...

Keith

PaulDavis

The vast majority of UK van builds use the Fiat Ducato (in the US known as the Dodge Promaster, with a different engine). Many of them with gasoline engines. There are actually not that many T1N's on the road in the UK compared to NCV3's (and Ducato's and Transits).

I addressed the question of why I didn't do this upthread. Certainly for some people, particularly those who don't already own a van, this would be an option.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
The first reason I can think of is the mold issue. For some reason, old motorhomes take on a smell that old cars seem to take decades to reproduce. Could be the shower lodges moisture in nooks and crannies that starts the mold growing, if even just a bit. Also, cars don't usually sit for months at a stretch. If I could take my MH that I drive all the time I would be happier.

So If I tour the UK for 5 months you say I can go to Spain next and they won't say "You can come in, but you only have a month before you need to go back to the States"?

-Randy

PaulDavis

the UK is outside of the Schengen area, and therefore crossing between them is more or less like arriving/departing from/to the USA.

If you go to the UK, you will *probably* get a 6 month entry permit; you can leave from there to the Schengen zone where you will *probably* get a 3 month entry permit, just as you would if you went there directly from the USA. Once you're inside the Schengen zone, moving around within it won't change anything. If you leave it for a short time (e.g. to go to Switzerland) they might but probably will not reset your permit's "clock". Same if you go to the UK, leave it for a few days and then come back ... they probably would not reset your initial permit's "clock".

I doubt if there is a strict rule for how long you have to be gone before the clock gets reset. As I mentioned, we were out of the UK (in Schengen) for 2 months, and UK passport control didn't seem to bat an eyelid about giving my wife a new stamp. I'm equally certain that if we had left for a weekend trip, they would not have done this.

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
Dang, that a little disheartening beings the goal would be to travel to as many places in europe as possible in my off time. But thanks for the info! I definitely have a lot of research to do. ....

Don't be disheartened. Those diesel restrictions are for cars, not trucks/vans like a Sprinter. The best place to research taking your Sprinter to Europe is the blog posts by Campskunk on the Roadtreking blog. Here is link to the page where he discusses his experience. He goes into great detail on the whole process

http://roadtreking.com/tag/campskunk/page/2/

This was his first post about the process.

http://roadtreking.com/navigating-paperwork-take-rv-europe/

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream

Last edited:

PocketDrop

Why not buy a Sprinter based MotorHome (RV to you) and then either keep in storage in your chosen country or sell again when you leave?

A good quality T1N based coachbuilt MH can be purchased in the UK for £20,000 to £25,000 and for this you should find models with only 30,000 to 40,000 miles recorded.

Try searching eBay.co.uk or let me know and I’ll try and post a few links (I’m on holiday in Italy at the moment so it’s not easy for me to post links).

And as an added bonus Euro spec T1N,s typically do not have EGR or DPF,s etc...

Keith
If I had the money, this is probably what I would do. But my current financial situation doesn't support that, mostly because I hate the idea of having a car payment.

Last edited:

PaulDavis

Don't be disheartened. Those diesel restrictions are for cars, not trucks/vans like a Sprinter. The best place to research taking your Sprinter to Europe is the blog posts by Campskunk on the Roadtreking blog. Here is link to the page where he discusses his experience. He goes into great detail on the whole process

http://roadtreking.com/tag/campskunk/page/2/
That's the write-up I should have done! I included more detail upthread about a few things than Campskunk, but he actually finished writing and covered more stuff. Excellent.

Travelling soul

I hope the thread is still there. Thank you so much for this thread.
I am from the USA.
Trip: from Annecy to Turkey- via Zurich, Munich, vienna, Budapest and Bucharest.
Approx. Distance : 4000 Km
Dates : June 28 to July 31 (Have I given enough time to travel?)
No of People: 6
Is it worth to ship my 2013 SPRINTER 170" it to France and and ship back from Turkey from the US. It has a 3000 watt power outlet, micro and a fridge.

Rental cars or vans are not allowed to go beyond Vienna.
Please advise me on places to see enroute, cost estimate, insurance and tolls, camping, parking in the city. Have I given enough time to travel?
thank you
bk

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Why do i get the feeling that exactly who/what saramoore was talking about didn't make it into their posting?

--dick

Top Bottom