Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 08-10-2019, 02:27 PM   #11
Denis4x4
2013 Unity TB

Default Re: 2020 LTV vs. New 2020 View

Over the years, I've owned my fair share of travel trailers and motor homes. On almost every unit, I've made some modifications that required exposing areas not usually seen. I've found candy wrappers, screws, sawdust, metal shavings and other crap. The worst was an Airstream 75th anniversary and the cleanest was my 2013 LTV Unity. Pride of craftsmanship in the LTV line is evident. I had an Itasca MH (Winnebago premium line) that had some crap in hidden spaces. Not a fair comparison, I know. Look at the wiring looms and plumbing layout and even a novice can spot quality as opposed to sloppy work. Finally, there's a reason that there's a long wait to get an LTV unit. While other manufacturers speed up the assembly line to cash in on the Sprinter based MH business, LTV appears to put their reputation for quality ahead of the quick buck mentality.
bobtuba (08-10-2019), Dacar (08-12-2019), hotfudge (08-11-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #12
David Binkley
Chicken Legs

I knew I would get plenty of good input so thanks to all.

Hopefully, I can touch on a few responses. I have not seen a View as of yet...but am very familiar and have seen ALL the rest!

Regarding questions you all brought up, in no particular order:

I have been to Winkler and have done the factory tour. Quality of build is great on the LTVs. WGO, very suspect, IMHO. Although I hear they are trying to improve things.

On the height/weight distribution, I totally get it and thanks to those who have pointed it out. It "appears" that the View has done a fairly decent job when it comes to OCCC. Something to do with those lighter Italian cabinets and the like... The overall height is 10'6" for the Unity and 10'8" for the View.

Have seen and gone through many Tiffins. Just seemed dated to me. Several had issues like loose cabinet doors, etc. when we saw them. (The QC in the RV world is just so poor right now. I think I may start a business that does inspections before they even leave the factory to help them out.)

And someone mentioned what you cannot see. I completely agree. The WGO look very nice but underneath the nice interior is where almost all the problems occur with them. Big concern for me.

One more thing raised here: Storage. The View is lacking to be sure and is far less (30cf) than the Unity TB which we like (63cf). We thought about adding a small extra refrigerator to one of the storage bays in the back to make up for the small refrigerators that come in the LTVs.

Again, my biggest concern is quality. Subjectively there are all sorts of things to pick apart.

Oh, and there is always the issue of keeping my wife happy. She is actually pretty cool about the whole thing but she is drawn towards the larger shower and refrigerator in the View but has read horror stories about WGO (especially the new Horizon Class A. Sad horror stories)...not to mention the overall larger layout/square footage.

In the end, at this point LTV is "winning" again. I like the way they do one thing and do it well rather than trying to be all things to all people.
LTV does not do A's, B's, travel trailers and everything in between like WGO.

After seeing virtually every class C (B+) out there (except this new View) LTV is still the best. From what I can tell online and via photos, the View is getting there though and if they get through all of the Quality Control issues it will make for a fine little ride.

Feel free to continue to lay on me whatever thoughts you have. Most enjoyable to read!

Time in on our side right now.

Last edited by David Binkley; 08-10-2019 at 08:32 PM.
David Binkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:44 AM   #13
RD55127

I would suggest you take a factory tour of both companies - Winnebago is in Forest City, IA and LTV is in Winkler, Canada about a day's drive apart. Take note of the precision used in the assembly process, a dedicated gauge or a homeowner style measuring tape to center the coach body on the chassis while the line is moving at walking speed. Ask about employee turnover in the assembly areas and length of warranty on the coach. Your eyes will tell you the answer - just be certain to take your wife.
RD55127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:14 PM   #14
Kosinar
2017 Unity TB Silver

Make sure you drive View. I almost bought one in 2017. I liked shower size. 2020 model could be much better but quality wise there was no comparison with 2017 Unity TB we ended up buying. View was unbelievable noisy while driving. Transmission or engine was making howling droning sound inside.
David Binkley (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 01:41 PM   #15
David Binkley
Chicken Legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD55127 View Post
I would suggest you take a factory tour of both companies - Winnebago is in Forest City, IA and LTV is in Winkler, Canada about a day's drive apart. Take note of the precision used in the assembly process, a dedicated gauge or a homeowner style measuring tape to center the coach body on the chassis while the line is moving at walking speed. Ask about employee turnover in the assembly areas and length of warranty on the coach. Your eyes will tell you the answer - just be certain to take your wife.
I have been to Winkler and done the tour. Loved our Unity MB as well.

Won't be able to go to the Winnebago Factory so please enlighten me as to what you witnessed!
Old 08-13-2019, 11:02 PM   #16
Mackcs
2018 LTV MB

I am a person who relies on loyalty back from the company when I purchase something expensive. I owned a recent Itasca DPusher brand new. I would never buy another product from Winnebago. I had nothing but problems from their customer service after the purchase. I had more things go wrong with that Winnebago product than imaginable. I am a handy person but it wore me out. I sent pictures after pictures and letters to the CEO with evidence of poor quality control. I got the feeling they could have cared less. LTV is a great product (we own a 2018MB, has had a few issues, but great response from LTV) And someone said it best.
There is a reason people have to wait so long to get one. Best of luck on your decision.
Mackcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:30 PM   #17
Scarecrow
2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

Thanked 1,024 Times in 559 Posts

I do not think this idea will compete with your options. But I own a 2017 Unity Murphy Bed. I just met up with Klipstr (Kelly) and his wife, Laura, at Lewis and Clarke Caverns State Park in Montana. They have a new Wonder. And -- I gotta tell ya'-- I was impressed! Love the front twin bed layout. Seems spacious! Interior storage seems greater. Cabinet doors are flat (a plus, in my opinion). More pantry space. No slide to worry about. Lower to the ground = not as much sway or rocking as my Unity. No hassle with raising a lowering a bed each day.

I will be checking out the rear twin bed version in Hershey, if I'm home. I love its bicycle garage. But it may be too small for you. Being low to the ground, I don't think it can have Levelers, nor a storage box added to the hitch. And passage from the cab to the rear is a little tight. Rumor has it the diesel will be replaced by a gas engine - that has me concerned. One advantage: It's cheaper.

Another thought is the Serenity. When I looked in 2015, the Unity Murphy Bed was the only unit that I kept coming back to, time and again.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:27 AM   #18
jmcarter

Ok, I’ll chime in since Scarecrow mentioned Serenity. We picked up our 19/19 Serenity on 6/11 and put 9,200 miles on her visiting PEI, Banff/Jasper and points in between. Included a factory tour led by Dean while they replaced our defective microwave. Very impressed by the quality, have two separate living/sleeping areas, no slide to complicate matters and no rattles or cabinetry failures along the way. Pulled our Honda Fit and averaged more than 16 MPG. I did fail to weigh her but confident we were well within the weight limits given how we travel. Home in Savannah now and wife snagged a beach front site at Gamble Rogers State Park in Florida for later this month and we’re anxious to leave already. Next step is to hook up a trailer brake controller and take the Honda plus motorcycle on my open Featherlight trailer (4,600 lbs. total). Yep, totally sure we bought a quality unit that fits our travel so much better than the 45 foot DP it replaced.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote