2020 LTV vs. New 2020 View

David Binkley

Chicken Legs
Hey All...

I figured I would come here for some fair, in depth analysis and opinion.

Just as we are getting ready to order up a Unity TB (our second LTV) my better half went and saw a 2020 Winnebago View.

She liked it...a lot. I have to say, there are pros and cons to both. Chassis is identical.

For 2020, the View has gone with a 10.7cf Compressor Fridge, Lithium Upgrade, 2000 watt inverter, integrated awning, modern interior along with a pretty stout entry door that is more like a boat type door. Heated tanks and has a larger shower, too.

LTV is now offering AGMs along with a 2000 watt inverter and is, well, an LTV...Owned one, I know.

That is the good.

The bad is Winnebagos have had, shall we say, some QC issues over the last (especially) few years...like virtually all other RV manufacturers. But to be fair, my shower in the LTV leaked like a sieve and took two trips to Winkler to finally get it fixed right.

My dear wife likes the View's massive slide out that does provide a lot of room. And it isn't too heavy, so to speak, with all the heavy stuff on the other side.

So lay it on me...thoughts?

Last edited:

ronjohn

2019 Unity MB
Another consideration is depreciation.
I checked out the View on-line ... it does look good.

Last edited:

Scarecrow

2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
This is tough to answer without bias in this Forum. 99% of the reviewers anywhere online will answer: "Buy what I bought!" Since most of us here own Leisure, we will typically say it's a better-built coach. They are never compared anywhere I've seen with any Winnebago. Now, I'm not saying Winnies are bad, but any book that rates these never seems to put them in the same build-quality group as Leisure.

Having said that, go with your gut.
If you had a bad experience with Leisure, you won't trust them, again, in all likelihood. If there is nothing glaring about the View to turn you off - buy it. You might want to try a Google search for: Trouble or Complaints with Winnebago. And the same with Leisure.

I can give you at least five or six things I would change about my Unity. But I could never complain about the Quality, nor the reaction I get from the Vast Unwashed Public. Nothing has turned more heads for me, except the '65 Corvette that I owned when I was young and stupud. That may not matter, but it sure makes me feel good!

Meeks

Those Winnebagos sure have come a long way. Folks on the Sprinter Forum have mentioned a number of times the carrying capacity of all RVs. To have that large a slide on the View I would imagine it either has less carrying capacity or lighter materials being used or both.

Yesterday while towing my Airstream trailer (I have a Unity on order) a car pulled out in front of me and I had to lock up the brakes to keep from slamming into them. I mention this because I sure was glad to be within weight limits for our rig. The same applies to these motor homes. Everything feels fine until you have a panic stop!

If the weights check out okay for you it really comes down to the question of quality and service. It that works for you then coach layout is key!

I would imagine that you would enjoy either coach immensely!

Keep us posted with your process and decision!

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meeks

One other thought...rent a newer Winnebago for a weekend before purchasing (just noticed a 2020 Winnebago View renting on Outdoorsy). My wife and I did this with the exact model of Unity we wanted. Took away all of our questions of whether the particular model would work for us or not.

Having owned a LTV you will be able to discern over the course of a weekend whether the Winnebago is up to snuff or not. The rental and air fare is a small price to pay before dropping $150k+! And again, let us know what you think!

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
You should also look at the Tiffin Wayfarer (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72725&highlight=Tiffin). I liked the appointments better and you can get recliners rather than a dinette, which IMHO is very uncomfortable. I think Meeks makes a good suggestion try renting one before you buy. I really liked the Tiffin Wayfarer with that full wall slide and rear bath but then when I went out side to consider the storage I was very disappointed. It only has about half the outside storage as the Unity. It looks like both the View and Wayfarer's storage bins are very small, you really need to look at those closely and consider where the larger items like grill, chairs, water hose, sewer dumping items, etc. will fit. I would definitely need to have some kind of hitch mounted cargo carrier for those bulky items with a View or Tiffin Wayfarer. Also the bins have holes in the bottom of the bin that forces you to thread the sewer hose, water hose, cable, power cord up through the bottom everytime you set up, unless you want to leave your doors open. Threading things through those holes is a royal PITA, the Unity is so much easier to make the hookups. Also, consider how you practically have to be on your hands and knees to access the bins under the slide, again a PITA to access your storage and hookups. It's nice having more room on the inside, but if you are in charge of the outside work you really need to consider what you will have to go through! My knees and back couldn't survive a full wall slide. The View and Wayfarer, and others manufacturers of Sprinter models are nearing 12' tall. That is a lot of top heaviness and certainly gives you more sway and roll that the Unity at 10'6". I would just get a 30 foot gasser class A (adding Liquid Springs of course) if I had to go with anything taller than a Unity! You really should try it before you buy it, definitely take it on a test drive and you'll quickly feel the difference on the road.

I do like the compressor Refrigerator and single induction cooktop, maybe Leisure will offer these someday!

Last edited:

Scarecrow

All the points that SSTraveler makes are what sold me on the Unity. But I thought I loved Born Free, Pleasure Way, and Coach House, as well - until I noticed those differences. But your gut has a lot to say going forward. Do you keep coming back to Winnebago? If yes, you may not be happier in anyrhing else.

My brother kept pushing me toward a gas powered chassis - because it was cheaper. My gut, and research, kept telling me diesel. I am so glad I followed my gut on that part. Just as an example.

WinnieView1

This is our first Winnebago but we have owned a few other brands as well. We are impressed enough with the differences in build quality and support resources such as online 'schematics' that we will keep her for our usual 5 years. When it comes time to look again we will shop the LTV models as well as we were basically unaware of them previously.
The most important choice for us has always been floor plan and it stems from our first motorhome, a 2001 with two slides.

hotfudge

2015.5 Unity TB
If what you can't see or touch doesn't bother you, then go with the 'lipstick' approach to buying a MH. If you don't like crawling/looking under motorhomes, ask a capable friend to assist you. Remember, beauty is only skin deep! I would never purchase a $150k MH simply based on the appliances selected....especially if they haven't been proven to be robust in a MH application. A 'critical eye' visit to the LTV and Winnie factories should settle any questions as to construction and quality of build. Inquiring at the factory as to why they don't do or provide such-and-such appliance (yet) may be a real eye opener. As wisely mentioned in other posts, weight (and weight distribution) is THE BIG issue on the Sprinter chassis. Even a test drive (or weekend rental) doesn't tell the entire story because the unit is not fully loaded or exposed to a 40mph cross wind. Look closely at utility management, hose routing, electrical cable routing, etc and then decide what you (and your back) can live with. Multiple and/or full wall slides might look exciting on paper, but you'll pay the price in handling once you pull out of your campsite. I think many Sprinter based MH manufacturers have reached/exceeded critical mass when it comes to placing style, open floor space and glitz over prudent design/engineering limitations of the Sprinter 3500 chassis.

Denis4x4

2013 Unity TB
Over the years, I've owned my fair share of travel trailers and motor homes. On almost every unit, I've made some modifications that required exposing areas not usually seen. I've found candy wrappers, screws, sawdust, metal shavings and other crap. The worst was an Airstream 75th anniversary and the cleanest was my 2013 LTV Unity. Pride of craftsmanship in the LTV line is evident. I had an Itasca MH (Winnebago premium line) that had some crap in hidden spaces. Not a fair comparison, I know. Look at the wiring looms and plumbing layout and even a novice can spot quality as opposed to sloppy work. Finally, there's a reason that there's a long wait to get an LTV unit. While other manufacturers speed up the assembly line to cash in on the Sprinter based MH business, LTV appears to put their reputation for quality ahead of the quick buck mentality.

David Binkley

Chicken Legs
I knew I would get plenty of good input so thanks to all.

Hopefully, I can touch on a few responses. I have not seen a View as of yet...but am very familiar and have seen ALL the rest!

Regarding questions you all brought up, in no particular order:

I have been to Winkler and have done the factory tour. Quality of build is great on the LTVs. WGO, very suspect, IMHO. Although I hear they are trying to improve things.

On the height/weight distribution, I totally get it and thanks to those who have pointed it out. It "appears" that the View has done a fairly decent job when it comes to OCCC. Something to do with those lighter Italian cabinets and the like... The overall height is 10'6" for the Unity and 10'8" for the View.

Have seen and gone through many Tiffins. Just seemed dated to me. Several had issues like loose cabinet doors, etc. when we saw them. (The QC in the RV world is just so poor right now. I think I may start a business that does inspections before they even leave the factory to help them out.)

And someone mentioned what you cannot see. I completely agree. The WGO look very nice but underneath the nice interior is where almost all the problems occur with them. Big concern for me.

One more thing raised here: Storage. The View is lacking to be sure and is far less (30cf) than the Unity TB which we like (63cf). We thought about adding a small extra refrigerator to one of the storage bays in the back to make up for the small refrigerators that come in the LTVs.

Again, my biggest concern is quality. Subjectively there are all sorts of things to pick apart.

Oh, and there is always the issue of keeping my wife happy. She is actually pretty cool about the whole thing but she is drawn towards the larger shower and refrigerator in the View but has read horror stories about WGO (especially the new Horizon Class A. Sad horror stories)...not to mention the overall larger layout/square footage.

In the end, at this point LTV is "winning" again. I like the way they do one thing and do it well rather than trying to be all things to all people.
LTV does not do A's, B's, travel trailers and everything in between like WGO.

After seeing virtually every class C (B+) out there (except this new View) LTV is still the best. From what I can tell online and via photos, the View is getting there though and if they get through all of the Quality Control issues it will make for a fine little ride.

:thinking:

Feel free to continue to lay on me whatever thoughts you have. Most enjoyable to read!

Time in on our side right now.

Last edited:

RD55127

I would suggest you take a factory tour of both companies - Winnebago is in Forest City, IA and LTV is in Winkler, Canada about a day's drive apart. Take note of the precision used in the assembly process, a dedicated gauge or a homeowner style measuring tape to center the coach body on the chassis while the line is moving at walking speed. Ask about employee turnover in the assembly areas and length of warranty on the coach. Your eyes will tell you the answer - just be certain to take your wife.

Kosinar

2017 Unity TB Silver
Make sure you drive View. I almost bought one in 2017. I liked shower size. 2020 model could be much better but quality wise there was no comparison with 2017 Unity TB we ended up buying. View was unbelievable noisy while driving. Transmission or engine was making howling droning sound inside.

David Binkley

Chicken Legs
I would suggest you take a factory tour of both companies - Winnebago is in Forest City, IA and LTV is in Winkler, Canada about a day's drive apart. Take note of the precision used in the assembly process, a dedicated gauge or a homeowner style measuring tape to center the coach body on the chassis while the line is moving at walking speed. Ask about employee turnover in the assembly areas and length of warranty on the coach. Your eyes will tell you the answer - just be certain to take your wife.
I have been to Winkler and done the tour. Loved our Unity MB as well.

Won't be able to go to the Winnebago Factory so please enlighten me as to what you witnessed!

Mackcs

2018 LTV MB
I am a person who relies on loyalty back from the company when I purchase something expensive. I owned a recent Itasca DPusher brand new. I would never buy another product from Winnebago. I had nothing but problems from their customer service after the purchase. I had more things go wrong with that Winnebago product than imaginable. I am a handy person but it wore me out. I sent pictures after pictures and letters to the CEO with evidence of poor quality control. I got the feeling they could have cared less. LTV is a great product (we own a 2018MB, has had a few issues, but great response from LTV) And someone said it best.
There is a reason people have to wait so long to get one. Best of luck on your decision.

Scarecrow

I do not think this idea will compete with your options. But I own a 2017 Unity Murphy Bed. I just met up with Klipstr (Kelly) and his wife, Laura, at Lewis and Clarke Caverns State Park in Montana. They have a new Wonder. And -- I gotta tell ya'-- I was impressed! Love the front twin bed layout. Seems spacious! Interior storage seems greater. Cabinet doors are flat (a plus, in my opinion). More pantry space. No slide to worry about. Lower to the ground = not as much sway or rocking as my Unity. No hassle with raising a lowering a bed each day.

I will be checking out the rear twin bed version in Hershey, if I'm home. I love its bicycle garage. But it may be too small for you. Being low to the ground, I don't think it can have Levelers, nor a storage box added to the hitch. And passage from the cab to the rear is a little tight. Rumor has it the diesel will be replaced by a gas engine - that has me concerned. One advantage: It's cheaper.

Another thought is the Serenity. When I looked in 2015, the Unity Murphy Bed was the only unit that I kept coming back to, time and again.

jmcarter

Ok, I’ll chime in since Scarecrow mentioned Serenity. We picked up our 19/19 Serenity on 6/11 and put 9,200 miles on her visiting PEI, Banff/Jasper and points in between. Included a factory tour led by Dean while they replaced our defective microwave. Very impressed by the quality, have two separate living/sleeping areas, no slide to complicate matters and no rattles or cabinetry failures along the way. Pulled our Honda Fit and averaged more than 16 MPG. I did fail to weigh her but confident we were well within the weight limits given how we travel. Home in Savannah now and wife snagged a beach front site at Gamble Rogers State Park in Florida for later this month and we’re anxious to leave already. Next step is to hook up a trailer brake controller and take the Honda plus motorcycle on my open Featherlight trailer (4,600 lbs. total). Yep, totally sure we bought a quality unit that fits our travel so much better than the 45 foot DP it replaced.

Top Bottom