Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 4x4 Talk

NCV3 4x4 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 4x4 Sprinters.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:44 PM   #11
OffroadHamster

Default Re: Michelin tyres in 235/85r16

I will also 3rd the Hankooks. Completely fabulous tire.

I would step over to a conservative AT tire for the treadwear warranties and confidence in that 5-10% of situations. The Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner is a pretty conservative tire for an AT tire and should give good service life and ride/noise comfort as well.

If you dont want to move over to an AT, the Michelins are a great bet and should last a long time and be quiet.
OffroadHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:22 PM   #12
jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com

I have been running a set of Wranglers Silent Armor stock size for 8 years and no sidewall cracks. The tread has about 3/8" depth left. I bought these because kevlar is stronger than steel, runs cooler than steel and is quieter than steel belted tires, or so I was led to believe. Knowing I would drive to Baja sold me.

I will be going up to 245's with the next set and have been considering the Michelin Defenders or their AT's. I have several months to decide. The reason I am changing brands is strictly the longterm mileage. I have 30 to 35 thousand miles and doubt they would last to 50. The Michelins have a 60,000 mile warranty.

I don't know anything yet about the Hankooks. The quieter on the road the better.

Thanks Hamster. check your pm.
jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:50 PM   #13

Today while having the rear brakes done at The Sprinter Pit Stop off Miramar Rd in San Diego the mechanic showed me the right side rear tire. Man was I lucky to make it there. The bead was separating close to rim and wrapped part way around the tire. I had them put my second spare on to get me home. The first spare had already been relegated unusable in Baja this past winter and I knew I was up for a new set, so I have been waiting for a new set of slightly larger 245's.

Anyone in the area that needs Sprinter help call them. Another shout out to Europarts SD for always having the needed parts in stock.

When I got back to my town, I stopped by Discount Tire hoping they could come up with the Michelin Defenders I was hoping for. Nope. They did check around and could not find any Defenders anywhere. The Agillis has already taken their place. Since I read about someone on this site was not too keen on them, I had them order the AT's that should be in tomorrow. Close enough. They have a 60,000 mile tire warranty.

I feel fortunate not to have been driving on that tire any longer and that I carried that second spare. Whew.

A not so funny thing about the rear brakes was that I never got a dash light warning before or after they started grinding metal on metal a few days ago. I am half deaf, but still once I saw the old parts and how far they were gone before they started making noise, I wonder what happened to the dash light brake warning.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:08 PM   #14

Sorry to post about tires in the NCV section but I just put a set of Michelin AT2's on my 06 with my stock 16" alloy wheels. I did go up a size to the 245 75 16's and they look great.

The front clearance to the plastic on the wheel wells is not rubbing on full turns, but it is close.

My question to anyone that knows is: I thought the 245's would fit in the undercarriage carrier but the kid and even a manager at Discount Tire could not make it fit. Any ideas out there?

My second spare on the drivers side rear door had a cover with a MB insignia and the wrap around aluminum locking piece that no longer fits either. I need to find a larger locking cover that fits the 245 75 16. This cover fits the 225 75 16 just fine and is in great shape.

I am going back to the Sprinter Pit Stop in San Diego in the morning because those guys know their stuff and are masters of invention when needed. Maybe just a longer couple of bolts will do the trick.

I do not need an opinion on my choice to go to a size larger because, well, anyone here knows why I felt that had to be stated. Just looking for help on mounting the spare underneath. Thanks to mostly all here. haha