to tune or not to tune, that is the question

Have you modified your engine in any way?

• No, my van is plain stock and I like it

Votes: 170 56.9%
  • I have just a tune, no other engine mods

Votes: 37 12.4%
  • I have a tune and egr delete

Votes: 29 9.7%
  • I have a tune and dpf delete

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • I have a tune with egr and dpf delete

Votes: 38 12.7%
  • I have a tune with other modifications

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • No tune, but I do have other engine modifications

Votes: 13 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KPT

With GDE, you retain the module with the tune, so you can re-flash it is a dealer updates the ECU.

srt4ny

Did they put a gun to your head and tuned your ecu? Sounds like you are their customer and the dealer flashed your ecu and now you are mad at malone for not retuning your ecu for free hmm ? am I missing something here

D

Deleted member 86082

I'd like to turn Malone Tuning of British Columbia into the authorities for illegally deleting EGR, but am not able to find the correct webpage. Does anyone know how?

Malone Tuning WARNING: Software tuning is terribly expensive for only temporary!!! If you take your vehicle to be serviced, there is a good chance the tuning will be erased and you lose the investment because eventually someone will flash the ECU. Owain cannot be reasoned with about this, has a bad attitude and doesn't appreciate the business. Also some of their tuning is illegal, causing substantial environmental pollution.
If you have the tune why would you need to have the vehicle ever serviced at a dealer again? Isn't that the point of the tune? Once the delete is done, any garage can service the van.

lindenengineering

They (he) got off light.
A company around the corner from me got dinged $350,000.

They had to sell a profitable second business to settle with 800 lb Gov gorillas in the room.
Shareholders retired--forcibly
Dennis

The only thing missing so far is a certain poster, who no doubt will be chiming in. He was not missed lately, but is back again. He doesn't own a Sprinter, yet has no qualms about castigating anyone in the very limited years that this tune is available for choosing to make their model reliable on the road. He has not been missed.

If a certain tune makes their limited model year more dependable for the controls that have proven to be unreliable, what is their value to the issue?

Part of this reliability is having a cleaner burning vehicle inserting less soot into their manifolds and clogging up their egr's along the way.

A slight increase in NOX surely more than equals out with the increase in mpg, and a cleaner running vehicle on the road for the very limited years that this tune can be used.

Anyone who doesn't own a model year that this tune can be used for is irrelevant. Butt out, why don't you? This is so tiresome, and repeatedly has been. Thank you Keith.

Most of my yearly trips are in Baja where the dependability is crucial and where I would love to have this tune, I am stuck depending upon controls that have proven unreliable in the long run.

I do follow Rogers advice on running every so often at a higher rpm for a few miles to burn off and keep the egr clean. So far that has worked and it has been 7 years since I was stranded on the roadside with a failed egr.

For my Baja travels, this is only slightly a comfort, especially since I know this tune can be a one time fix to unreliable controls that were not ready for primetime to start with.

I am sure the usual posters will react negatively to any who question their motives when they do not own a vehicle that this can be used for.

The long run is what most of us hope for with our Sprinters whether or not they own a model that this tune can be used for.

Have at it.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
The only thing missing so far is a certain poster, who no doubt will be chiming in. He was not missed lately, but is back again. He doesn't own a Sprinter, yet has no qualms about castigating anyone in the very limited years that this tune is available for choosing to make their model reliable on the road. He has not been missed. Correction,

If a certain tune makes their limited model year more dependable for the controls that have proven to be unreliable, what is their value to the issue?

Part of this reliability is having a cleaner burning vehicle inserting less soot into their manifolds and clogging up their egr's along the way.

A slight increase in NOX surely more than equals out with the increase in mpg, and a cleaner running vehicle on the road for the very limited years that this tune can be used.

Anyone who doesn't own a model year that this tune can be used for is irrelevant. Butt out, why don't you? This is so tiresome, and repeatedly has been. Thank you Keith.

Most of my yearly trips are in Baja where the dependability is crucial and where I would love to have this tune, I am stuck depending upon controls that have proven unreliable in the long run.

I do follow Rogers advice on running every so often at a higher rpm for a few miles to burn off and keep the egr clean. So far that has worked and it has been 7 years since I was stranded on the roadside with a failed egr.

For my Baja travels, this is only slightly a comfort, especially since I know this tune can be a one time fix to unreliable controls that were not ready for primetime to start with.

I am sure the usual posters will react negatively to any who question their motives when they do not own a vehicle that this can be used for.

The long run is what most of us hope for with our Sprinters whether or not they own a model that this tune can be used for.

Have at it.
:snore::snore:

Yes Orion, we agree it is tiresome. Every freaking time.

If those that object actually owned a model year that this tune is available for, their input would have some legitimacy. Most do not, and yet they feel compelled to add their opinions of what others may choose to make their very few limited model year Sprinters more reliable and cleaner burning in the long run.

zzz indeed.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Yes Orion, we agree it is tiresome. Every freaking time.

If those that object actually owned a model year that this tune is available for, their input would have some legitimacy. Most do not, and yet they feel compelled to add their opinions of what others may choose to make their very few limited model year Sprinters more reliable and cleaner burning in the long run.

zzz indeed.
And, I comment because.......

.... I didn't appreciate the Cali plated Sprinter that was idling/starting numerous times rolling coal next to me while I was parked at the beach the other day up here. :bash: :thumbdown:

Orion, rolling coal is a travesty and I am sorry you had to put up with that.

Every time I watch some weekend truck show with diesels smoking like crazy, it makes me outraged, as it does you, I suspect.

That is completely different from what this specific tune brings to those very few [4 years?] it can be applied to. Their tune does not smoke or roll coal. By now, we all know what it does offer.

Do you actually know that that smoking Sprinter next to you had a GDE tune? I suspect it did not. No one has ever accused a GDE Sprinter of smoking or rolling coal.

zzzzzz

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Orion, rolling coal is a travesty and I am sorry you had to put up with that.

Every time I watch some weekend truck show with diesels smoking like crazy, it makes me outraged, as it does you, I suspect.

That is completely different from what this specific tune brings to those very few [4 years?] it can be applied to. Their tune does not smoke or roll coal. By now, we all know what it does offer.

Do you actually know that that smoking Sprinter next to you had a GDE tune? I suspect it did not. No one has ever accused a GDE Sprinter of smoking or rolling coal.

zzzzzz
An illegal and pollution increasing tune by any other name....

...so no, you nor GDE get a pass here. Nice try (not)..... :thumbdown:

Last edited:

OffroadHamster

And, I comment because.......

.... I didn't appreciate the Cali plated Sprinter that was idling/starting numerous times rolling coal next to me while I was parked at the beach the other day up here. :bash: :thumbdown:
Pics or it didnt happen.

A sprinter rolling coal....uh-huh...sure...and the gas cap on my Tesla leaks and smell of unburned fuel.

segway

My tuned Van passed smog in April...

but your right, Im a criminal, but so is every single stock GL 350 Bluetec running the same parameters as me

:snore::snore::snore: indeed

Id be more concerned with the bonfires at the beach, can you IMAGING how much CO2 they are releasing burning those trees? If we plant 900,000,000 trees and they mature to full potential we will roll back atmospheric c02 levels to pre 1920's levels. And to think, those heathens are still BURNING WOOD FOR FUN???

I have never seen a Sprinter smoking down the road, or while parking next to me. I suppose it could happen, but it would not be because of the tune. You both know that.

Oh well. Never mind. This discussion should be terminated before it degrades any further into more name calling and opinions reach the point of certain posts calling others criminals for expressing an opinion. We can do better. Peace out.

I have to believe most of the members here are open enough to not feel compelled to lower themselves like these two who have chosen to attack. Why can't we all get along? We all know where that same from.

I am sure even this plea will be subject to attack. Over and out. Of this thread.

Like I said, every criminal attempts to justify their particular crime of choice:

Pics or it didnt happen.

A sprinter rolling coal....uh-huh...sure...and the gas cap on my Tesla leaks and smell of unburned fuel.

segway

My tuned Van passed smog in April...

but your right, Im a criminal, but so is every single stock GL 350 Bluetec running the same parameters as me

:snore::snore::snore: indeed

Id be more concerned with the bonfires at the beach, can you IMAGING how much CO2 they are releasing burning those trees? If we plant 900,000,000 trees and they mature to full potential we will roll back atmospheric c02 levels to pre 1920's levels. And to think, those heathens are still BURNING WOOD FOR FUN???

OffroadHamster

Hmmm, yesss, very interesting, yes yes, very interesting indeed. Good point, good point, very deep....

All of my emissions hardware is in place including DPF, EGR, aftertreatment system, catalytic converters etc. My van passes smog. I get 28% better mileage than I used to, meaning I go 28% further on the same amount of fuel. Im running the same power levels as other MB products with the same engine.

Tell me how I am hurting the environment...annndddd GO:

If you can state a clear technical case without any assumptions or logical fallacies I will take the tune off of my van and join you in your crusade.

Last edited:

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Hmmm, yesss, very interesting, yes yes, very interesting indeed. Good point, good point, very deep....

All of my emissions hardware is in place including DPF, EGR, aftertreatment system, catalytic converters etc. My van passes smog. I get 28% better mileage than I used to, meaning I go 28% further on the same amount of fuel. Im running the same power levels as other MB products with the same engine.

Tell me how I am hurting the environment...annndddd GO:

If you can state a clear technical case without any assumptions or logical fallacies I will take the tune off of my van and join you in your crusade.
Refresh my memory....

.... which tune do you have and which state do you live in? :thinking:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom