Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:22 PM   #11
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,615 Times in 8,647 Posts
Default Re: Cracked Engine Block "Fix" with JB Weld

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
That's kinda been my experience with JB Weld fixes of fluid leaks, i.e. it seals pretty well but for some reason never completely.
So much depends upon the failure you are trying to repair. When I can get access for proper prep my JB Weld repairs have been 100% effective.

Classic JB Weld includes powdered iron as a filler. It has a fairly high temperature range, higher than most auto parts store epoxy offerings. That said, there are even better brands/choices depending upon what is being repaired.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:20 AM   #12
VanCraig

I've got a small gap between the engine block and the exhaust manifold. The studs are so completely rusted that I'm fearful of them breaking off if I try to remove them (even super-heating with a torch will likely not work).

Do you suppose that using JB Weld in this situation would be effective? I've got to imagine that anything would be better than the high-pitched squeal I hear whenever I step on the accelerator.

Thanks,
Craig

Here's a link to a photo of the leak:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Nb...ew?usp=sharing
VanCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:18 AM   #13
lindenengineering

Thanked 10,030 Times in 5,115 Posts

The exhaust manifold will be warped!
You either need to replace it or get the original surface ground.
We keep exchange units (take off's) surface ground for instant replacement in the shop.

Judging by your photos the nuts aren't that bad, I have seen much worse.
The secret to easy removal is an oxy torch using a#2 or #5 nozzle and low gas pressure.
Heat each nut in turn to cherry, then using a 3/8 th drive 8 mm socket & extension slowly turn the nut to free it off . Keep the heat going to spin it off the stud. Remember the tools will get hot so be mindful of burning yourself with a hot socket . So the trick is heat & apply the socket, heat & repeat as the nut starts to bind.

You will need an assistant and some nuts being obscured from the top will need tool guidance to get the socket on the nut in question.

Some of the rear ones are best attacked from the bottom, laying under the rig if you don't have lift (I find it more convenient to lay under the van) and have the assistant with the torch be guided to concentrate the flame on the nut.
The secret is not to go at it like a bull at a gate.
Clean the stud threads with a die nut 8 x 1,25, use new nuts and torque gradually to 22 lbs ft.
Testing the torque wrench BEFORE you get snugging up.
Gasket often come in 6 cylinder variants so you might need a pair of aircraft tin snips to lop off the extra port section.

All the best
Dennis
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lindenengineering For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (08-10-2019), rollerbearing (08-20-2019), VanCraig (08-20-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 12:53 PM   #14
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,615 Times in 8,647 Posts

What Dennis said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCraig View Post

Do you suppose that using JB Weld in this situation would be effective? I've got to imagine that anything would be better than the high-pitched squeal I hear whenever I step on the accelerator.

JB Weld probably isn't a good idea.

If your goal is to just stop the squeal I suppose that a proper size feeler gauge tab could be slipped in to jam the gasket metal "reed". The escaping exhaust gas will probably eventually erode the OEM gasket away. I have no data.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 08-10-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
VanCraig (08-20-2019)