Should I dump my 18 inch alloys?

CaptSteve

2018 316cdi 4x4
I have a 2018 316 4x4 Hymercar that came from Hymer with Borbet CW3 wheels and 255 55 18 tyres. Whilst the tyres are okay, they don't look great on the van. I have been looking to change them for something that will fill the well a little better and still have the M&S markings for traveling Europe.

My van is plated for 4050kg, but weighs in when loaded, around 3,800kg. I have been offered 4 nearly new 255 70 18 Bridgestone Dueler 840s with a load rating of 113 (and M&S) which I can try for not a lot of money (I would like to end up with BFG K02s in the long run). But I am finding that 18 inch tyres are not as easy to find as tyres for 16 and 17 inch and most people on here seem to use said 16 and 17s, for which there must be a reason.

I don't do crazy off road, mainly wet festival fields (this is the UK after all) and will be doing a Scandinavian wild camping trip (read remote dirt tracks and logging roads) in the autumn.

So my question is, would I be better off ditching the 18 inch wheels and moving to 16 or 17s or would my 18s be okay if I match them to a suitable tyre/tire?

Ed463

There are a gazillion opinions on wheels/tyres:idunno:
But imho the 18 inch wheels restrict your choices and I hate to think what 55 profile rides like:bounce:
So personally I have 16 inch with 245/75 BFG AT2's. Slightly noisier compared to road biased tyres, especially as they wear. I may try Cooper AT3's next. Some go bigger/wider but for me these are a great compromise. I'm not willing to sacrifice torque/breaking/mpg by going oversize.
Nice compliant ride, they can be deflated to 10psi without any worries, tough and (apart from the noise) wear very well.

CaptSteve

2018 316cdi 4x4
Thanks for your response.

Actually, I was surprised that the 55 was as comfortable as it was. I did email a chap from Continental to see how low I could go with the pressures with the exact weight I was carrying. He was brilliant and its a bit lower than I would have done on my own.

I think that I will try these cheap tyres for a couple of trips whilst looking for some 16's.

OffroadHamster

It should be exceedingly easy to pick up some OEM wheels on the forum here, with or without tires. Many people swap them out. The load rating on them easily matches your GVWR. Maybe not the best looking wheels, but if you want something that fits, is cheap and wont raise any eyebrows in UK/EU, you cant beat OEM.

Top Bottom