Any opinions on 2017 Sprinter vs 2017 Ford Transit Diesel

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
Diesel to diesel dually to dually- I can't get as long a wheelbase in the Ford and would have to live with lots of overhang on the back- not good for handling.

UD
Yeah but you need 10 foot ball fields to turn around a 170 Sprinter.

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
Yeah but you need 10 foot ball fields to turn around a 170 Sprinter.
Might be a just a tiny bit exaggerated.

If you aren't used to it for sure its a pain. Im used to it.

It seems tiny compared to towing a trailer with a half ton, or a full sized motorhome.

I still believe that in a loaded up situation the extended wheelbase is a benefit.

UD

flman

Might be a just a tiny bit exaggerated.

If you aren't used to it for sure its a pain. Im used to it.

It seems tiny compared to towing a trailer with a half ton, or a full sized motorhome.

I still believe that in a loaded up situation the extended wheelbase is a benefit.

UD
LOL, never noticed a problem other than my 3/4 ton Transit holds over 1400 lbs more than my 3/4 ton Sprinter ever did.

Also did you ever notice on commercial class straight trucks the axle is about 1/3 of the way from the rear bumper to keep the load on the axle instead of the frame? Same goes for pickup trucks, gee wonder how they hold the weight and not do a wheelie?

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
LOL, never noticed a problem other than my 3/4 ton Transit holds over 1400 lbs more than my 3/4 ton Sprinter ever did.

Also did you ever notice on commercial class straight trucks the axle is about 1/3 of the way from the rear bumper to keep the load on the axle instead of the frame? Same goes for pickup trucks, gee wonder how they hold the weight and not do a wheelie?
I can't speak to yours vs some other sprinter - but If I made the switch Id be giving up carry capacity.

I believe dually to dually the sprinter still has higher capacity - 4580 for the biggest ford and 4956 for the sprinter.

https://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transit-cargo-van/2017/models/transit-van/
https://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/sho...p#/model/model/sprinter/bodyType/CA/year/2017

I could be wrong though. lots of options these days.

Ive driven short wheelbase motorhomes in the wind and on the freeway and in anything near max capacity Ill pick the longer wheelbase (whatever) in this case the sprinter - every time.

UD

flman

You could be right to, a dually van does not work for me, the wheel wells get in the way. So I never had the need to compare, but as far as T250 vs 2500, I did not need to install helper springs in the Transit.

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
You could be right to, a dually van does not work for me, the wheel wells get in the way. So I never had the need to compare, but as far as T250 vs 2500, I did not need to install helper springs in the Transit.
Totally get it - dually certainly has drawbacks. Id love to be able to get away using a SRW- the "super single" may be my next Sprinter - if I stay Mercedes.

Ive got tons of time into my fiberglass interior molds and am just now getting some ROI - so Id hate to have to jump of MB, but I always reevaluate what I need every time.

UD

flman

Totally get it - dually certainly has drawbacks. Id love to be able to get away using a SRW- the "super single" may be my next Sprinter - if I stay Mercedes.

Ive got tons of time into my fiberglass interior molds and am just now getting some ROI - so Id hate to have to jump of MB, but I always reevaluate what I need every time.

UD
So MB is bringing the Super single to the US, sounds like it could be a winner for you.

flman

Back to the topic of the thread, I finally saw 1 Transit in the Transit forum with DEF issues.

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
Back to the topic of the thread, I finally saw 1 Transit in the Transit forum with DEF issues.
Since all DPF's work about the same using the same chemicals and metals, that seems both good and bad.

Bad because that particular truck is probably a year old or less.

How many miles did it have on it and what was the problem ?- send me the link. Im a member there as well.

Ford still has not addressed financing for the up fitter market like MB, which is one reason the RV market still so heavily MB.

I couldn't even find a diesel dually transit in 2016 - Galpin BS'd me and told me they had one and convinced me to driving over to them and check it out - then as soon as I showed up they changed out the sales guy I was working with on the phone- and tried to sell me a SRW van when I got there.

They drove me around a lot (looking for the dually they didn't have) that had nothing I was interested in repeating - why not this one ?and whats wrong with that one? and are you sure you need a dually? - after I explained GVWR wise why I did.

Classic bait and switch program.

From a guy that liked his ford products (lightning, SHO, E250) I found this very distasteful.

I also found MB's practice of selling vans before they have them pretty lame as well because they fail to tell you that your payments start wether or not they have delivered your van.

I found myself making my first payments on a van that I didn't yet have.

All behaviors that discourage loyalty - lame.

UD

IdleUp

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings here but a Sprinter is old hat and old technology compared to the Transit. Ford waited years to design and release this new chassis, so every other van out there is dated when comparing, speed, handling, brakes, comfort, etc.

Engine - The Ford Power-stroke diesel engine is bullet-proof and makes more power and is twice as responsive as Mercedes dated V6. After you drive the Transit with a load and feel the power and handling, its tough to climb back in the Sprinter.

Transmission - The Transit's 6 speed with its "Trailer Haul" feature for spreading the gears and downshifting to save the service brake, is light years ahead of the "Decade Old" dated Benz 5 speed, which should have been dumped years ago.

Cab - The Sprinter cab and dash is old style work-truck styling compared to the Transit. The Transit is modern with easy to reach controls. The AC vents are actually there where you need them. The shifter is only inches from the wheel, so there's no looking down to find it. In fact, the sprinter shifter is so low I use my knee to up shift. The transit transmission has two different manual controls one right on the shifter knob.

Suspension - On a Sprinter you feel every single road imperfection which transmits right to the cab. The rear axle transmits bone jarring shock to the rear which can dismantle cabinets. The Transit is smooth and quiet, you don't feel every bridge and there is no transfer of shock from the rear axle.

Handling - Most important is the handling, the Transit has 50% less roll moment than the Sprinter thanks to an improved suspension system. In addition, the Transit uses a low CG chasis style with low profile tires there is no sidewall flex increasing roll moment.

Service - I won't even begin to bring up the thousands of reasons you would prefer to have a Ford over a Mercedes when it comes to finding a dealer. If you break down, pray that it happens in a major city. If you happen to find a Benz dealer, you better catch a flight home or find an "Extended Stay Motel" because their dealers all suck and hate van owners. On the other hand, you can take your Transit to almost any Ford dealer and get service in a reasonable period of time.

After Warranty - After your Sprinter warranty expires - get yourself a real good "Home Equity" account, because you'll need it for any repair. Mercedes does not count in dollars, everything is hundreds and thousands.

Just my 2 cents!

Enjoy - Mike

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Engine - The Ford Power-stroke diesel engine is bullet-proof and makes more power and is twice as responsive as Mercedes dated V6.
There have been postings on the Transit site about diesel emission issues. Do not think it makes much difference about which brand diesel. All new diesels seem to have the same issues. Best to solve that problem with a gas engine. 2020 Transit replaces the 3.2 diesel with a 2 liter diesel so will not have the same power as the 3.2.

The new Sprinter has a 7 speed transmission with the V6. I am sure that is a huge improvement compared to the old NAG1 5 speed. Do agree that the Ford Tow/Haul mode and the transmission is a big improvement compared to the NAG1. It actually shifts automatically.

I do not think the Transit dash is any better than a Sprinter. Just different.

Have to agree about the handling. Transit handles much better and the body does not distort as much as a NCV3 Sprinter.

The Transit is much nicer to drive. More like a car than a dump truck.

Service cost and availability is a major difference.

No prestige in a Transit.

Engine - The Ford Power-stroke diesel engine is bullet-proof and makes more power and is twice as responsive as Mercedes dated V6. After you drive the Transit with a load and feel the power and handling, its tough to climb back in the Sprinter.
Um....well, I sort of agreed with much of your post except for this one. More power, maybe. Bullet-Proof, not so much. They are subject to the same emissions issues as the rest.

IdleUp

I don't know about un-loaded, but when fully loaded in a conversion (within 1500-2000 lbs of gross) the Transit has more power with a sharp responsive and just overall faster. It's expected since it has more torque and HP and its just a newer generation of engine over the old Benz diesel Plus the ride is definitely smoother with almost no shock from the rear axle.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not finding anything wrong with the Sprinter, I love my Benz and the way she looks. The difference between the two chassis is not anything to worry about, they are two different breeds one is old and dated and for the most part, the other is new.

Mike

Attachments

SilverFL

I have a 2015 Sprinter for my family and our side, incidental shipping biz. Mine is a 144”, high roof van, with the 6 cylinder. I bought the Sprinter after considering the Ford because our UVL (under vehicle mounted wheelchair lift) wouldn’t work on a Transit, but I appreciated the higher towing capacity of the Sprinter over the Powerstroke T350 and the driving position is far better in the Sprinter. I also appreciated the 20k oil change interval, the better mpg and more powerful 6 cylinder engine. Little things, like the interior smell is even better in the MB, vs the Ford smell. I thought, after 10 years in my driveway, what would I be excited about driving. The answer, of course is the Sprinter.

With all that being said, if you’re driving in the city the Ford Transit Diesel has advantages, like their optional regen switch and they make a very quick eco boost engine.

If I was buying a Van to drive in the city I’d probably buy either the Ford diesel with the regen switch or just buy a gas engine van from Ford, the new Sprinter or another make. If you have a Sprinter Diesel for city driving you should know that MB considers that “arduous” driving and your oil changes or services will need to be more frequent and there are things that you can do to improve your engine life.

A retired MB tech has a website called StephensService.com. he may go abit overboard, but there are some good ideas he has.

Last edited:

Top Bottom