Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Off Topic

Off Topic Nonrelated Sprinter things to say? This is the place to be.
Subforums: Health The Funnies The Danger Zone

Old 09-11-2017, 08:09 AM   #11
ptheland
2013 144" low top Passgr

Default Re: Metric dimensions please

Here's a pic of those Hayes Fasteners that's large enough to actually see.
http://i.imgur.com/XpD1cQ1.jpg

2013 144" wheelbase, low roof passenger, with wheelchair lift in side door (soon operational, but not yet cosmetic)
ptheland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ptheland For This Useful Post:
CJPJ (09-11-2017), Tekno Tone (09-13-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 08:26 AM   #12
Eric Experience

Thanked 1,183 Times in 819 Posts

Gentlemen
As originally suggested I recommend trying the metric system on all your work for a while, at first it may be difficult but once you get it sorted you will love it. Eric.
Eric Experience is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Experience For This Useful Post:
lindenengineering (09-12-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 05:22 PM   #13
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 4,298 Times in 3,215 Posts

Gentlemen,
Although metric has overwhelming advantages, the accident of my birthplace and my appreciation of centuries of English literature forces/allows/privileges me to span both worlds in my thinking, work and play.

Luckily, that paragon of implementation, Harbor Freight, has provided this newest addition to my Sprinter's tool box ... the one-size-fits-all palm wrench (with 1/4" through-hole for applying a leveraging handle (not supplied with tool)):

Wrench.jpg

... all for $3.99

--dick (this story is true.. i bought it last week)
p.s. notice how 1/4" is uniquely incompatible with any metric size and occupies that special niche of living in both worlds
p.p.s. which implies that all the planet's ratchet tool square shafts are Imperially sized, too??
(except 3/4" - 19mm)
p.p.p.s. i recall (from the 1960's) that my first metric tool set had a 14mm socket... which was never used... VWs and Porsches did not use that size, and it didn't fit any Imperial nut/bolt usefully either. The 16mm stayed relatively ungreasy, too.

Last edited by autostaretx; 09-11-2017 at 05:31 PM.
autostaretx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 07:52 PM   #14
sprint2freedom
2008 NCV3 170ext

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Experience View Post
Gentlemen
As originally suggested I recommend trying the metric system on all your work for a while, at first it may be difficult but once you get it sorted you will love it. Eric.
The problem is that it's not really an individual decision. Both systems are widely in use in the USA, however metric only dominates niche areas (e.g. science, engineering and medicine) while customary units persist in aviation, recipes, packaging, weather forecasts, and just about everywhere else.

Your suggestion is a bit like telling someone who is bilingual in English and Spanish to try speaking only Spanish for a while. That's all well and good but when you're surrounded by people speaking only English it becomes impossible to function.
sprint2freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sprint2freedom For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 09:56 PM   #15
Tekno Tone

To me, just about the daftest thing ever is the American Wire Guage.
What must they have been smoking to come up with a system where a larger number represents a thinner wire?
Cross sectional area in mm squared is far more intuitive for calculating permissible loads.
Tekno Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:26 PM   #16
sprint2freedom
2008 NCV3 170ext

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekno Tone View Post
To me, just about the daftest thing ever is the American Wire Guage.
What must they have been smoking to come up with a system where a larger number represents a thinner wire?
Cross sectional area in mm squared is far more intuitive for calculating permissible loads.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

"Increasing gauge numbers denote decreasing wire diameters, which is similar to many other non-metric gauging systems such as British Standard Wire Gauge (SWG), but unlike IEC 60228, the metric wire-size standard used in most parts of the world.) This gauge system originated in the number of drawing operations used to produce a given gauge of wire. Very fine wire (for example, 30 gauge) required more passes through the drawing dies than 0 gauge wire did. Manufacturers of wire formerly had proprietary wire gauge systems; the development of standardized wire gauges rationalized selection of wire for a particular purpose."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sprint2freedom For This Useful Post:
CJPJ (09-13-2017), Tekno Tone (09-13-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 02:24 AM   #17
surlyoldbill

Thanked 2,272 Times in 1,574 Posts

Well, we don't want to interrupt trade with those two other economic powerhouses that use SAE/Imperial measurements: Liberia and Myanmar. Along with the USA, that makes 3 countries in the entire world that don't use metric as the official measurement system.

With today's CNC CAD/CAM systems, going to metric is mostly just a software issue, not a replacement of an entire house-sized machine.
surlyoldbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:05 PM   #18
Eric Experience

Thanked 1,183 Times in 819 Posts

Sprintofreedom.
You don't get it, If you are talking to the rest of the world you need metric, you analogy assumes you are talking to yourself. Eric.
Eric Experience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:15 PM   #19
Tekno Tone

When I was building my bed in my Sprinter camper van conversion, I spent hours online and on the phone trying to find a metal stockist who had or could get 50x50mm 'L' section aluminium.
I was forced to give up in the end and use 2"X2". My only other option was to import from Germany.
Tekno Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:04 PM   #20
sprint2freedom
2008 NCV3 170ext

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Experience View Post
Sprintofreedom.
You don't get it, If you are talking to the rest of the world you need metric, you analogy assumes you are talking to yourself. Eric.
No, I don't get it. What did you mean by "trying the metric system on all your work"?

edit: I think it's easy to overlook that partially as a side effect of the size (~4000 km on the diagonal), population (~323 million people), economy (25% of world GDP), and comparative geographic isolation (sandwiched between the two largest oceans) of the US... there are many people here who will live their entire life without ever travelling abroad or perhaps even speaking with someone who uses the metric system. So yes, in a sense we do wind up talking to ourselves quite a bit.

Last edited by sprint2freedom; 09-14-2017 at 07:03 PM.