Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Off Topic

Off Topic Nonrelated Sprinter things to say? This is the place to be.
Subforums: Health The Funnies The Danger Zone

Old 06-25-2017, 04:50 AM   #11
glasseye

Thanked 1,010 Times in 551 Posts
Default Re: Anyone Having an Eclipse Watch Party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eka View Post
I'll likely find some lonely country road somewhere
I think that's going to be my choice, too. It's slightly tempting to be with people- big crowds of Americans are really fun- but I think, for my first and possibly last solar eclipse, I'd like to be alone. Somewhere high up, I think. With a distant view.

I can't effing wait. I'm 71 and I've dreamed of this all my life.
115K miles in 8 summers. Fuel, filters, oil, tires, bulbs, battery, front brakes, serp belt and tensioner, upper charge air hose.
I waited five years for this.

Absent this forum, I'd never have bought a Sprinter.
glasseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:54 AM   #12
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 4,282 Times in 3,204 Posts

Wherever you go, there WILL be a traffic jam.

Oregon only has one road running east/west along totality... and very very few running north/south into/out-of that area.

The state police have been telling everyone to NOT stop on I-5 to watch it... now they're considering stopping the road for about 15 minutes surrounding totality. They are expecting a 14 hour across the state (and up/down) traffic jam. Be ready for hot and slow.

--dick
(Vic? Blow the conflict and hit the eclipse... you could invite the conflict to the eclipse. If it's a wedding, sell it as moving heaven and earth (or at least the moon) in celebration.)
Old 06-25-2017, 11:22 AM   #13
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 9,622 Times in 6,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autostaretx View Post

The state police have been telling everyone to NOT stop on I-5 to watch it... now they're considering stopping the road for about 15 minutes surrounding totality. They are expecting a 14 hour across the state (and up/down) traffic jam. Be ready for hot and slow.

The advice which I've found suggests it is best to be settled in on site at least a day ahead of the event. In many areas traffic can be heavy and unpredictable.

My choice would be to not be on the side of any road. You risk being hit by some distracted looky-loo driver. Similar to rubbernecking drivers going past an accident scene.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
Some people have 10 years experience, others just 1 year 10 times.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #14
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Added:
Maybe a dumb question. Can a cell phone camera in selfie mode be used to view and video record the eclipse? You will be looking completely away from the sun as you look at the screen.
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
Old 06-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #15
glasseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
Added:
Maybe a dumb question. Can a cell phone camera in selfie mode be used to view and video record the eclipse? You will be looking completely away from the sun as you look at the screen.
The danger is not to you, it's to the camera's imager. Extended imaging of the sun could burn it. As you'd say, I have no data.

Dick: advice noted. I might choose eastern Idaho.
115K miles in 8 summers. Fuel, filters, oil, tires, bulbs, battery, front brakes, serp belt and tensioner, upper charge air hose.

The Following User Says Thank You to glasseye For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (06-26-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 03:42 PM   #16
glasseye

OK, I've figured out my spot.

This guy says he's seen 30 eclipses. Here's what he says:

If this is your first eclipse, you should take lots of pictures before the eclipse, and lots after. About 10 minutes before 2nd contact, safely put away your camera...and forget about it. There is NO photo that you could take, that will be a fair tradeoff for what you will miss in the sky, seeing with your own eyes. Set up a video camera instead, and leave it alone. You will get more pleasure LISTENING to the replays of your video, or some tape recording of the event, than any photos you are capable of shooting yourself . Listen to the birds, watch the animals, see if flowers close their petals. Stand very still, and feel the breeze brush across your face, and a moment or two later, another breeze but cooler this time. What was the drop in temperature?? Did the direction change?? I have seen shadow bands at EVERY eclipse I have been to, and they have always been against different backgrounds. I always put up a white sheet, but in Turkey, they were most prominent against the dark bus that we were traveling in...and I have seen them after 3rd contact every time as well... luck.... I dont know... but I am never fumbling with a camera.... I leave that to the pros. and... PS... If you are in an organized area with street lighting, or other automatic lights, make sure to see that the sensors for the system are shut down. These automatic lights will go on about 10 minutes before totality. You dont want that!!!!

I have NEVER met a guy after his first eclipse thatdidn't want to see another. And I have never heard anyone ever say... "been there, done that." To the "virgins".... Your lives will soon be changed. You will experience nature like you have never before, and your lives will subtly change... I promise.

http://www.eclipse2017.org

The Following User Says Thank You to glasseye For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 08:30 PM   #17
autostaretx
Erratic Member

My first SLR camera purchase was made with eclipses in mind.... so the shutter had to be titanium leaves instead of the far more typical sliding fabric.
I do sorely miss my half-frame Olympus Pen FT. 72 shots on a roll of 35mm film.

To do it safely with a cell phone camera (i.e. not destroy the CMOS) I'd give it a pair (well, onesie) of eclipse "goggles" too... and then just try to remember to pluck them off once totality hits. The CMOS is less delicate than your eyes, so less-dense aluminized mylar would work.
Since all the camera will see (at best) during partiality is the "crescent" sun, you can do almost as well by pointing at the ground (or a white sheet) for projected shadows of the sun's image passing through a hole (cardboard with a 1/2 inch hole, gaps in a tree's leaves, etc). If the shadow-making object is relatively small (i.e. a piece of "shirt cardboard" or so) and the camera's field of view captures "unshadowed" white sheet background, it may then probably capture shadow bands, too.

These crescents were projected from the gaps between two hands' fingers:

(from my last "eclipse trip" ... to California in 2012)

Another approach during partiality: with your eyes, look at the sunlit face of your camera ... then hold your eclipse goggles or welder's glass in front of it, letting the shadow of that glass cover the camera's lens. Now take the photo... this is what the camera will see:

--dick

Last edited by autostaretx; 06-25-2017 at 08:39 PM.
autostaretx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 12:20 PM   #18
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

I believe that we have a solution.

Last night I mentioned to my wife that after returning from the W/E event conflict, I was going to head to Kentucky to view the eclipse. It won't be a leisurely trip heading to, but I'd probably take a bit of time getting back home.

I commented that she didn't need to feel obligated to go with. Her reply, "You're going to set up the bed in the back aren't you? I'm in."

Barring a cloudy day, we should be seeing... experiencing the eclipse.

vic
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
glasseye (06-28-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 06:21 PM   #19
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
Barring a cloudy day, we should be seeing... experiencing the eclipse.
Even totally overcast is worth it (me, Gaspe' Peninsula, 1972)

... there's a distinct feeling as the shadow of the moon in/on/through the cloud roars up to you:
"This is what a bug sees as the footprint is coming down"

--dick
memo: on eclipse day: be all packed up and ready to move prior to the eclipse.
If it's cloudy where you are, it may have a hole just a few miles away.
(in 1972, the campsite we'd been at the previous night was clear ... and the owners were inside watching the eclipse on TV because they'd been scared indoors by all of the "don't watch it!" hoop-la.)
In 1973 (Lake Turkana, Kenya) clouds threatened where we were, so we did toss everything into the VW and roared/bounced down the rutted track another few miles... where it was clear.
During 1979's Goldendale Wa eclipse, our site (on the airport) cleared ... friends 5 miles away (observatory) didn't.

As the partial eclipse deepens, the air will cool... and clouds may well condense in the clear sky

Last edited by autostaretx; 06-27-2017 at 06:52 PM.
autostaretx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (06-28-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 06:24 PM   #20
Scarecrow
2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

Youse guys and gals are missing a big EXTRA... the Perseids appear a bit earlier, and peak around August 9th and 10th!!
THAT could be a show, except for the Full Moon.
Combined with an Eclipse Party? PRICELESS.

2017 Unity Murphy Bed
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote