OM651 2.1ltr and 7speed Tranny Update

dnshaf

2014 170 Crew, Just an update to let you all know that my I4 7sp has crossed the 500,000 mile mark with no engine or tranny work at all! Only filters and fluids! Not even an injector or glow plug! Also no hint of the dreaded timing chain issue! I still don't need to add oil after an 11,000 mile cross country trip. My OM642 needed a quart of oil on every similar trip. It's a shame that the engine and tranny combo is no longer available! Also the new updated brackets on the DPF seem to be holding up well, I'm at 80k on them and will do a thorough inspection in a couple months at 100k. All of the issues I've had with this van have peripheral and i have gone into detail in my previous posts. Most of them have been caused by vibrations from the DPF bracket failures in my opinion.

Attachments

D

Deleted member 50714

2014 170 Crew, Just an update to let you all know that my I4 7sp has crossed the 500,000 mile mark with no engine or tranny work at all! Only filters and fluids! Not even an injector or glow plug! Also no hint of the dreaded timing chain issue! I still don't need to add oil after an 11,000 mile cross country trip. My OM642 needed a quart of oil on every similar trip. It's a shame that the engine and tranny combo is no longer available! Also the new updated brackets on the DPF seem to be holding up well, I'm at 80k on them and will do a thorough inspection in a couple months at 100k. All of the issues I've had with this van have peripheral and i have gone into detail in my previous posts. Most of them have been caused by vibrations from the DPF bracket failures in my opinion.
congratulations!:cheers::rad::thumbup:

photogravity

Former Sprinter Wannabe
Do you happen to know what your fuel mileage has been over those miles? A low and a high would be fine, though some average numbers over its life would be nice.

4wheels

Congrats !!

And , the winner is ----- Found on road dead Transit , or Promaster :)
Sorry , I could not resist . I can not stand posts on this forum that Ford or Promaster is better ( I have 12k trouble free miles on my Ford or Ram , lol )

dnshaf

Currently With the Check engine light on .......:thinking::thinking::thinking:
Yes, it is on and I didn't crop it out on purpose. It resets easily and hasn't affected performance over the last 30k or so. It is showing P261F if any of you want to venture a solution. The van is running like new though.

Also, a friend that does exactly the same thing I do with my van has a Promaster with a V6 and needed a valve job at 98K, and maintenance was performed to a T.

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited:

dnshaf

Do you happen to know what your fuel mileage has been over those miles? A low and a high would be fine, though some average numbers over its life would be nice.
My van is equipped with an Espar D4 and a Powertech 3000K Diesel generator so my mileage is low considering I run those as needed, but on average I get 20mpg. Average speed around 65-70mph. High Mpg 24, low Mpg 15.

Dan

Froggy

Interesting -- 2400 rpm at 75 mph! On my 2007 Sprinter 2500 OM642, I'm doing 2800 rpm at 70 mph.
Congratulations on 500,000 repair free miles!

Kimo

Awesome milestone!!!

Some questions, maybe you answered them in another post:

When did you do the first tranny service, and how often for subsequent services?
Do you do the tranny service yourself?

How often for brakes?

Any other maint items, i.e. shocks, bushings, tie rods etc?

I have a '16 2.1,7 spd 170 Crew w 33k miles and know I dont nearly match your highway miles, but I'd like to see your recipe for success. TIA!

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
That's about 3,205.128 miles driven a week for for three straight years. Or 457.8754 miles every day for three years.
You sir are a Iron Butt :thumbup:

dnshaf

Awesome milestone!!!

Some questions, maybe you answered them in another post:

When did you do the first tranny service, and how often for subsequent services?
Do you do the tranny service yourself?

How often for brakes?

Any other maint items, i.e. shocks, bushings, tie rods etc?

I have a '16 2.1,7 spd 170 Crew w 33k miles and know I dont nearly match your highway miles, but I'd like to see your recipe for success. TIA!
Hi Kimo,

Thanks,

Here's my rough schedule,

Oil about every 12k with Mann filter and Amsoil Euro formula 5W-30

Tranny 1st at 60k then every 75k or so, first only the pan then subsequent change pan and torque converter using MB required Blue fluid.

Fuel filter, Mann every 30k.

Brakes, first at 175k front then 220k rear. Most the time I will change due to poor performance and rotor wear.

Air and Cabin around 20-30k

Shocks Rear Koni at around 180k Front Struts at 280k Monroe

Tires Michelin LTX M/S 245 75 16 Defenders every 120k-140k

Other issues caused by failure non-DPF bracket related (Vibration)

3 AC compressors, Water Pump (including vacuum system check valves), 1 Alternator, Ball
Joints, Rear End splines in axel. 1 Nox sensor, 3 DPF Temp sensors. 1 Alternator Pulley.

Issues related to Excessive Vibration caused by DPF Bracket failure.

1 Exhaust Manifold with broken stud. Fuel filter housing leaking coolant, 2 DPF and 4 sets of brackets. 1 Bell Housing due to stripped thread where bracket attaches. 3 sets of Belt/Pulleys/Tensioner.

Preventive Maintenance, 1 Turbo, Radiator and Upper/lower hoses, Intercooler and hoses, Fan/Clutch Unit, Another Water pump, Thermostat, 1 Set of Pulleys/Belt/Tensioner

Many of the DPF, Bell Housing and Ac issues were covered under Warranty.

Then the MIs-diagnosed repairs that were totally unnecessary.

Throttle pedal, CDI, Steering Rack, Power Steering Pump and Hose.

So, as you see, my Sprinter has had it's issues, but so far the Engine and Tranny have been Great! unlike the OM642 I had previously, the cost of fuel alone has saved me over 11k so far compared to my V6 Sprinter.
Many of the issues were caused by having one of the first 4 Cyl
with the most miles thus the MB Techs were learning what the problems were as I put the miles on. Just to give 1 example; I had my Water Pump fail on I65 south of Birmingham AL and was able to drive it to the Dealer in Mobile AL. They put a pump in it and sent me on my way. It was Friday at 4:00PM. Got about 10 miles and CEL goes on and into LHM. At that point I could not wait till Monday so I drove it home to Cali. Took it to my (home) dealership in Bakersfield and found out that when the water pump fails it sucks coolant into the vacuum system, they replaced the vacuum pump and check valves and that fixed it. But who knew? I called Mobile and they hadn't seen that yet. And that is the main peril with the Sprinters, they can be extremely difficult to diagnose!

Hope all this helps!
Dan

sailquik

Dan,
Me too on the suspension seats!
I'm now at 145,000 miles.
You get the prize for most miles in the shortest time.
Roger

srt4ny

Damn congratulations I am hoping to get there someday i bought my 2015 4cyl new and it now has 155k with no issues and i do about 120k per year , I keep checking those brackets I don't see any damage to them yet but I don't know if I should replace some just to be sure, would you happen to have part numbers for the new updated brackets

Last edited:
I have 254,807 miles on my 2016 cargo Sprinter with the 4 cylinder in 18 months. That was because I lost a lot of time to repairs. I had to get the transmission, torque converter, and flywheel replaced at 38,000 miles. I lost 3 weeks of work. Then in January I had to wait 2 weeks for a bi-xenon headlight assembly. Than I was off the road for 3 weeks for a replacement heated windshield. I just waited 2 weeks for a cruise control switch.
I would probably has close to 300,000 miles on my Sprinter if it weren't for the down time waiting for parts.

Kimo

Hi Kimo,

Thanks,

Here's my rough schedule,

Oil about every 12k with Mann filter and Amsoil Euro formula 5W-30

Tranny 1st at 60k then every 75k or so, first only the pan then subsequent change pan and torque converter using MB required Blue fluid.

Fuel filter, Mann every 30k.

Brakes, first at 175k front then 220k rear. Most the time I will change due to poor performance and rotor wear.

Hope all this helps!
Dan

Dan,

Thanks for that post super informative. Considering the miles you've put on that thing, its required minimal unscheduled maint.

Man, Peanut Butter. Thats some serious miles. I wish I knew how I could make money drive my sprinter.

Top Bottom