Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Off Topic

Off Topic Nonrelated Sprinter things to say? This is the place to be.
Subforums: Health The Funnies The Danger Zone

support Sprinter-Source.com
Click here or the banner before shopping at Amazon. A percentage of your purchase goes to support Sprinter-Source.com

Old 10-15-2017, 06:38 PM   #101
mikesprints

Default Re: Bitcoin: The internet of money and other Cryptocurrencies

Old 10-15-2017, 06:57 PM   #102
mikesprints

Ethereum the 2nd largest crypto looks to fork sometime tomorrow. Simple explanation in the linked article.

BTC forked on 8/1. When that happens you are issued the same amount of the forked currency. I held 5 BTC at time of split, Bitcoin Cash the forked chain hit a high of over $900 and currently is just above $300. BTC has 2 other forks on near horizon. BTC2 and BTCGold.... I held mine expecting the bulls to lift much higher, currently is making a descending triangle and may get a very nice bounce from the sub $300 level.

Most likely the BTC2 version will not occur while BTCGold very likely.

https://www.coindesk.com/watch-ether...-fork-happens/

Last edited by mikesprints; 10-15-2017 at 07:03 PM.
mikesprints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:10 PM   #103
bladerunner

Thanked 3,516 Times in 2,356 Posts

Is it all really 'FAKE MONEY' ?????

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/bi...120800608.html

Bitcoin Drops below $6,000 as Bitcoin Cash Surges

Investing.com Investing.com13 November 2017

Investing.com - The price of the digital currency bitcoin fell below the $6,000 level on Sunday to trade down more than $1,000 from an all-time high hit on Wednesday amid a shift by traders to bitcoin offshoot Bitcoin Cash.

On the U.S.-based Bitfinex exchange, Bitcoin hit a low of $5,426.00, its lowest since October 25 before pulling back to trade at $6,143.30 by 04:49 AM ET (09:49 AM GMT), still down 2.5% for the day.

Bitcoin has fallen in recent sessions after a software upgrade planned for next week that could have split the cryptocurrency in a so-called "fork" was called off due to waning support.

The planned split or fork, known as "SegWit2x", had intended to allow for more transactions to be processed at any given time, making fees for bitcoin transactions much cheaper.

As Bitcoin tumbled, Bitcoin Cash, which was generated from another software split on August 1, surged.

Bitcoin Cash hit an all-time high of $2,790.00, before pulling back to $1,680.60, still up 26.36% for the day.

Bitcoin Cash has a total market cap of around $27 billion at current prices, making it the third most valuable cryptocurrency.

Bitcoin has tended to rebound quickly from pullbacks. Bitcoin started the year near $1,000 and at current prices has a total market capitalization of around $103 billion.

In a sign that the financial industry is starting to warm up to bitcoin, the world's largest derivative exchange operator CME Group (NASDAQ:CME) this month announced plans to launch bitcoin futures later this year, pending regulatory approvals.

The futures will allow investors to short-sell bitcoins, making two-way bets possible, a development that CME expects will attract major institutional investors, not just speculators.

CME’s announcement came just weeks after Goldman Sachs said it was considering setting up a new trading operation focused on bitcoin and other digital currencies.

Ethereum, the second most valuable cryptocurrency by market cap after bitcoin, was down 3.46% at $304.77.

Related Articles

Bitcoin Drops below $6,000 as Bitcoin Cash Surges

SegWit2x 'Tantrum' Pressures Bitcoin to 8% Slump as Bitcoin Cash Jumps 40%

Bitcoin slides by over $1,000 in less than 48 hours
For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged, by better information or fuller consideration, to change opinions, even on important subjects, which I once thought right but found to be otherwise. Benjamin Franklin

LET THE FACTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES!:

Science - Here are the facts, now what conclusions can we draw from them?

Religion - Here are the conclusions, now what facts can we find to support them?
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:48 PM   #104
flman
In Transit

Thanked 2,323 Times in 1,788 Posts

It is as fake as stocks, back up to $6500.00, if I were paying closer attention I would have bought more..
flman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:58 PM   #105
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flman View Post
It is as fake as stocks, back up to $6500.00, if I were paying closer attention I would have bought more..
Last time I looked most of the 'worthwhile' companies/stocks had 'assets' to back them up.

What besides hype backs bitcoin??
For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged, by better information or fuller consideration, to change opinions, even on important subjects, which I once thought right but found to be otherwise. Benjamin Franklin

Religion - Here are the conclusions, now what facts can we find to support them?
Old 11-13-2017, 11:40 PM   #106
flman
In Transit

Thanked 2,323 Times in 1,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
Last time I looked most of the 'worthwhile' companies/stocks had 'assets' to back them up.

Hype that was worth 5 years ago, I only wish I knew what the hell it was, for $100 I could have cashed out now and I would be on easy street.

It is traded as a common international currency with no boundaries.
flman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:08 AM   #107
bladerunner

Quote:
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flman View Post
Hype that was worth 5 years ago, I only wish I knew what the hell it was, for $100 I could have cashed out now and I would be on easy street.

It is traded as a common international currency with no boundaries.
Bought anything tangible with your 'hype' lately or at any point??

Oh, I get it.............its when you cash out for REAL money that you then have a real asset......in the mean time you only hold a paper hype.................oh btw do you/can you actually get a Bitcoin certificate with your name and $number on it??

Old 11-14-2017, 01:53 AM   #108
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 4,389 Times in 3,287 Posts

For bitcoin transactions to be verified/incorporated into the blockchain, the computer farms that "mine" the coins are chewing up lots of power performing the more-or-less time-wasting calculations ("proof of work") required by the process.

The current estimate is that their annual power consumption totals a bit(coin) over 23 terawatt hours... roughly the power demand of Ecuador.
(some of the mining sites are trying to sell their waste heat)

Ethereum's developer is looking into switching over to a "proof of stake" instead of "of work" ... which would require putting a small amount of any transaction into (effectively) escrow until the calculations verify the transaction.

--dick
Old 11-14-2017, 02:12 AM   #109
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by autostaretx View Post
For bitcoin transactions to be verified/incorporated into the blockchain, the computer farms that "mine" the coins are chewing up lots of power performing the more-or-less time-wasting calculations ("proof of work") required by the process.

The current estimate is that their annual power consumption totals a bit(coin) over 23 terawatt hours... roughly the power demand of Ecuador.
(some of the mining sites are trying to sell their waste heat)

Ethereum's developer is looking into switching over to a "proof of stake" instead of "of work" ... which would require putting a small amount of any transaction into (effectively) escrow until the calculations verify the transaction.

--dick
Surprised dick you didn't incorporate that with AGW!

Old 11-14-2017, 04:10 AM   #110
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 4,389 Times in 3,287 Posts

Quote:
Surprised dick you didn't incorporate that with AGW!
I was flipping a (hard copy) coin to choose which thread to place that item into...

--dick