DPF sensor

Jbernielh

thx for the thoughts Bob

I've been scratching my head over cause and effect..

true, it's an exhaust component, and we all know the temp that can occur at the DPF.. but I have to wonder how much heat actually makes it up to the sensor (approx 3 feet from the DPF) as it's deadhead and theres no flow through the sensor to carry that kind of heat.. next, under normal operation how much pressure would there be in a line like that.. certainly if the DPF was plugged, the upstream line would have a fair bit of pressure and the downstream non.. so at the end of the day, are clamps at the sensor really important or not with a good tight fit of a hose..

going back to my earlier post, I'm still trying to ascertain why MB would actually have the same ID hose for two different size spigots on the sensor.. no doubt the new hose is pliable but as I said earlier, I'm reluctant to try and squeeze that small hose over the large spigot..

Bernie

D

Deleted member 50714

thx for the thoughts Bob

I've been scratching my head over cause and effect..
My pleasure Bernie.

...true, it's an exhaust component, and we all know the temp that can occur at the DPF.. but I have to wonder how much heat actually makes it up to the sensor (approx 3 feet from the DPF) as it's deadhead and theres no flow through the sensor to carry that kind of heat..
My concerns are more related to radiate not conductive heat.

next, under normal operation how much pressure would there be in a line like that...
I don't think much pressure and all the more reason the sensor would be more susceptible to relaying erroneous/fluctuating data as a result of even small leaks.

certainly if the DPF was plugged, the upstream line would have a fair bit of pressure and the downstream non.. so at the end of the day, are clamps at the sensor really important or not with a good tight fit of a hose..
Hose clamps are important, inexpensive (unless buying a quantity of 500,000) and standard shop practice, at least where I grew up. Clamps are important especially as the rubber tubing ages.

...going back to my earlier post, I'm still trying to ascertain why MB would actually have the same ID hose for two different size spigots on the sensor...
There are many things MB does that doesn't make sense. For example, promoting 20,000 mile oil changes. Perhaps miss-identified/miss-packaged?

no doubt the new hose is pliable but as I said earlier, I'm reluctant to try and squeeze that small hose over the large spigot..
Bernie
Maybe purchase the correct size tubing you would be more comfortable installing?

Take care, NOx

Jbernielh

Geesh Bob

install the correct size hose? that would be absurd.. the MB dealer said that hose would fit, so there for, it must fit..

being an old airplane wrench, clamps will be installed in all applicable locations... I'll even look for places to put zip ties and copious quantities of high temp red silicon as well.. after all, that's what keeps most aircraft in the air..

Bernie

D

Deleted member 50714

Geesh Bob

install the correct size hose? that would be absurd.. the MB dealer said that hose would fit, so there for, it must fit..

being an old airplane wrench, clamps will be installed in all applicable locations... I'll even look for places to put zip ties and copious quantities of high temp red silicon as well.. after all, that's what keeps most aircraft in the air..

Bernie
I hate airplanes!

Last edited by a moderator:

plmbst

Here is a copy of my service invoice showing the parts used for the new differential pressure sensor.
I just noticed that the exhaust back pressure sensor was also replaced.

Attachments

lindenengineering

Replacing the EBP is commonplace when doing this type of job!
It gets plugged up with carbon in the sensor's sac.
You can read in KOEO with a scanner in live data1
IT SHOULD read close to atmospheric pressure in KOEO .
You are allowed 25 HPa drift
Dennis

lindenengineering

Specifically aft of the EGR cooler on top of the back casting arrangement.
You can spot it right besides the actuator arm for the internal EGR flap---A large hex socket body with a black socket on top.
Easy to get at .
Regards Dennis

Jbernielh

thx Dennis
I've stared at that on a few occasions and wondered if that's what it was.. Have they changed that sensor to a new and approved part number since 2010 or is it the same, same..

also, I noticed on the invoice from the MB dealer they indicate they "adapted" the new differential pressure sensor.. is that really necessary ? also would a new back pressure sensor need to be "adapted"
thx
Bernie

Jbernielh

thats probably a little confusing..

not my invoice, but the copies plmbst posted from having his replaced..

I just replaced mine, along with the new connector and put clamps at all locations.. I'd post pictures for you Bob, but I've never figured out how to do that..

I'm trying to figure out if theres a bulletin somewhere that indicates which items need to be taught into the computer when they're replaced..

Bernie

D

Deleted member 50714

thats probably a little confusing tubing installation ..

I just replaced mine, along with the new connector and put clamps at all locations.. I'd post pictures for you Bob, but I've never figured out how to do that..

I'm trying to figure out if theres a bulletin somewhere that indicates which items need to be taught into the computer when they're replaced..

Bernie

Thank you about the thought of posting pictures Bernie. Curious how the undersized tubing installation went?

D

Deleted member 50714

thats probably a little confusing..

Bernie
Hi Bernie:

Here's some info from WIS. It appears the differential pressure sensor requires initialization (I'm assuming also referred to as a teach-in? I'm still learning so maybe others can confirm?).
Also, the picture of differential pressure sensor assembly is fuzzy but it does appear there are clamps common to the pressure sensor and the hard pipes four (4) clamps total. NOTE: "AR" is TESTING AND REPAIR. Good luck, NOX

Attachments

Jbernielh

thx for the info Bob

from the looks of it I'd say your right, but isn't the engine listed the 4 cylinder.. but then I can't imagine it would make any difference 4 or 6.. I'll just take the RV to the shop and have them plug it in and see what happens..

in regards to the hose issue we discussed earlier... well, lets just say laziness trumps (is it okay to use that word here) good practices any day.. I looked at the 2 hoses at the sensor and they were both flexible and good shape.. couldn't really tell the difference between the installed ones and the new, plus, installing them on the new sensor they both required a good push to get them on the spigots.. but I put clamps on them just the same..

thx again

Bernie

D

Deleted member 50714

No clamps at the sensor end on my replacement.
Shame on you! :dripsarcasm: Probably not a big deal until the tubing ages and becomes brittle but by then it may be time for a new Sprinter?

4wheels

Looks like I will need a new / upgraded socket .. Got CEL , 142B00 and 142C00 codes. The ash content of DPF is too high and second code - the ash content of DPF has exeeded the warning threshold . Cleared it with Autel MD 802 , CEL returned after 500 miles and I cleared it again . The same Autel shows that ash content is 0.006 lb and soot content is 0.004 . Sprinter runs very healthy . Will change sockets when return home , after 1800 miles trip .
Thank you, Dennis and everyone - sorry dealer , I do not need new DPF yet
( my sensor is 642 905 01 00 )

Last edited:

4wheels

The upgraded sensor is the "642" unit.
You can use it across the board.

On Blueies there is this bulletin that calls for the use of a new socket and pipes.
This socket is of a rht angle style with a wiring set pattern on it .
You have to cut and shut it into the harness eliminating the original socket and solder it onto pigtails.

This appears to take the weight off the wiring harness at the vertical mounting.
Pertinent I suppose when using such thin wires like #18's should they develop high resistances & corrupt signalling.
Dennis
Bought new harness and hoses.
Question - where do I need to cut and solder , #1 or #2 ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Jbernielh

on my new plug there was lots of excess wire.. I just cut off the old plug about 3 inches from the plug. I cut some of the excess wire off the new plug as well.. I just made sure I had enough wire it was very accessible to make the solder connections with heat shrink.. on mine the wire colours weren't an exact match between old and new so I just made sure the correlation between pin numbers was correct.. pins 1,2 and 3 are the same on new and old.. once it was done I just folded the excess back on itself and tie wrapped..

I could never figure if it was really necessary to have the new sensor adapted or not, so I took it down to my local shop and had them do it.. maybe they just plugged in their scanner, laughed about the guy that spends way to much time on the internet, and then handed me a bill and watched me drive off...

Bernie

Jbernielh

can you post a better picture so the clamp police can verify whether this requires further attention or not..

Bernie

Top Bottom