DAD users group discussion thread

glasseye

FWIW, my DAD works perfectly on a Dell laptop with Windows 10 Home 64 bit. It also worked fine for me on Windows 7 64 bit.
Well THAT'S good to hear. I finally attempted to use my DAD today and ran into a cascading series of problems.

I know my DAD works, because I loaned it to another forum member last year and saw it functional.

I subsequently purchased from him the XP laptop he used with his assurance that the Diagnostics program was still installed and functional. It wasn't. The program won't run, with or without the DAD connected. Neither will it read the User Manual from the splash screen. Something to do with the .NET framework version, I think, from the unintelligible error message.

I re-installed the Diagnostics program from the original CD that came with my DAD (purchased from Andy)

I attempted to upgrade the .NET framework package and this, too failed.

I attempted to connect the XP machine to the internet in order to install XP and .NET updates and failed at this, too. I'm no IT guy, just a poor lonely retired cameraman.

I next installed the Diagnostics program on a Toshiba laptop running W10 64 bit and downloaded and installed the W10 driver for my Keyspan USA 19HS serial to USB adapter. I configured the DAD to use COM 4, as the Keyspan instructed.

The Diagnostics program starts, displays the splash screen and appears to communicate with Frito. I see a flashing LED on the Keyspan. This with vehicle not running, ignition switch in position 2.

When I click on the "start diagnostics" big grey button, an all-white window opens with a menu bar across the top. One of the menu choices allows me to choose the vehicle type and the various modules.

Selecting, say, the ABS module brings up a smaller window titled "Communication in Progress" and "Communication Under Construction". A progress bar grows slowly across the screen to about 75%, then disappears with a Windows "beep".

None of this screen display looks familiar from when I saw the DAD working.

I still can't access the User Manual from the Diagnostic Program. I get an error message.

I saved the diagnostic file and attempted to read it with Notepad, but it's gibberish.

I think there's some comms going on, because I keep hearing the EGR valve turning on and off.

Close, but no cigar yet.

Any ideas? :hugs: :thinking:

ItsMeOK

Will this remove the auto locking of the doors?
If yes anyone want to sell/rent one.

Doktor A, you were right I should have had you change when I was there. Although used to it in a van, I have found it to be very frustrating in an RV.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The Diagnostics program starts, displays the splash screen and appears to communicate with Frito. I see a flashing LED on the Keyspan. This with vehicle not running, ignition switch in position 2.

When I click on the "start diagnostics" big grey button, an all-white window opens with a menu bar across the top. One of the menu choices allows me to choose the vehicle type and the various modules.

Selecting, say, the ABS module brings up a smaller window titled "Communication in Progress" and "Communication Under Construction". A progress bar grows slowly across the screen to about 75%, then disappears with a Windows "beep".

None of this screen display looks familiar from when I saw the DAD working.
From your description, that actually is the usual sequence of displays...
and the "Comm under Construction" meant that the program successfully *talked* (and heard) the DAD, but when the messages finally flowed enough, and the program was trying to write the results on the screen, it (the program) tossed its cookies.

You might try one of the "Special Functions" live data readouts from the engine or transmission.

good luck
--dick (who has NOT managed to get DAD to work natively under Win 10 Home, but it still works on an XP laptop)

ItsMeOK

As far as i know, the DAD cannot disable that "feature" .... and i assume you've tried the documented procedure in the Owner's manual?

View attachment 87690

--dick
OMG THANK YOU, THANK YOU. It worked.

I can't believe I never saw it in the manual, I still haven't looked but I read it when I first got it and don't remember it. I can't believe nobody knows this, like my local Dodge dealer, freightliner, Mercedes etc. when I asked if they could turn off with scanner. My Dodge place said they even had another one back there that they could see the code but couldn't change it for another customer.

I seriously send you all the Karma I can muster.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Call your Dodge dealer, tell 'em how to fix it for the other customer,
and invite them to follow this forum if they need help in the future... :whistle:

--dick

gggGary

gggGary
Sold my 04 van,Have a working DAD with the books etc available. Would like $500 shipped USA
Thought I'd give first dibs to readers of this thread before it goes to classifieds.

breezy

DR A , I purchased the scan tool. it was working perfect. Today I am having boost problems. when I hooked up the scan tool it will read live data but will not read any modules. What do you think? Thanks Daryl

autostaretx

Erratic Member
DR A , I purchased the scan tool. it was working perfect. Today I am having boost problems. when I hooked up the scan tool it will read live data but will not read any modules. What do you think? Thanks Daryl
Are you using the same PC (and serial adapter, if needed) that you used in the past?

The DAD seems to be sensitive to temperature (mine loses channels into my Sprinter when it's below 50F), and it also seems to depend upon the PC's accuracy regarding serial port bit-rate (which changes up and down across a wide range when the DAD is being used).

--dick

Are you using the same PC (and serial adapter, if needed) that you used in the past?

The DAD seems to be sensitive to temperature (mine loses channels into my Sprinter when it's below 50F), and it also seems to depend upon the PC's accuracy regarding serial port bit-rate (which changes up and down across a wide range when the DAD is being used).

--dick
I have one that does the same also. If I heat up the box it will work.
I have also found that my DAD unit is finicky as to liking warmer temperatures.

This doesn't answer any DAD question.

My advice.
Keep the DAD unit for the special test routines and other capabilities which it has. When those special capabilities aren't needed, use a more modern DIY level scan tool.

The iCarsoft MBII cost is round 150 bucks. It will access most all of the Sprinter modules. It is MB specific as to brand.

The Autel MD802 All Systems or MD808 Pro (cost is 200 - 250 bucks) will access most all Sprinter modules. It has live data capability and will access many different brand vehicles.

All of the above are compact units which don't need a computer to operate. Much easier for use than is a DAD connected to a computer.

:2cents: vic

Last edited:

Top Bottom