Free Check Engine Diagnostic - May 2017 Special (Chicago)

Burdi Motorworks

Does your Sprinter Van have a Check Engine Light?

Burdi Motorworks is now offering FREE Diagnostic Services for the month of May.

Call us today or visit us at burdimotors.com and schedule an appointment.

Burdi Motorworks
9415 Seymour Ave.
Schiller Park, Illinois 60176
vburdi@burdimotors.com

*Special Restrictions Apply
Print & Save - 1 hour of Diagnostic Services at Burdi Motorworks
Limit (1) Per Customer - Offer ends May 31st, 2017

Find more savings here:
http://burdimotors.com/mercedes-service/specials/

Attachments

GaryJ

Here since 2006
Does your Sprinter Van have a Check Engine Light?

Burdi Motorworks is now offering FREE Diagnostic Services for the month of May.

Call us today or visit us at burdimotors.com and schedule an appointment.

Burdi Motorworks
9415 Seymour Ave.
Schiller Park, Illinois 60176
vburdi@burdimotors.com

*Special Restrictions Apply
Print & Save - 1 hour of Diagnostic Services at Burdi Motorworks
Limit (1) Per Customer - Offer ends May 31st, 2017

Find more savings here:
http://burdimotors.com/mercedes-service/specials/
Good idea. This should be the standard of the industry. It's good for the customer, and ultimately should bring business to the shop. A win/win.

Gary

lindenengineering

From a shop owner's perspective it cannot be the norm in the industry simply because behind a service like that is a huge cost born by the shop in question to provide you with a free diagnostic service every time.

It of course poses few questions such as who is paying the "Tech" to perform this free function?
Do you work for free in your job?

With of course factory level scan tools costing about $30,000 with annual subscription there is a cost to providing that service for one hours diagnostic charge waiver., Shops will not bear a free scan diagnosis as a policy without some restrictions applying or simply bury it into the job that will come from performing a repair following an inevitable discovery of a fault(s)

This is a "teaser" as it is known in the business any retail business and its aim is to get you into the door .

A McDonald's $5,99 hamburger with a small coke and fries mantra about it, or of course the $19,99 oil change, and the all too famous credit card zero interest doozie for 12 months..

Remember the "Tech" is probably working on a flat rate system which is a curious American auto repair industry method of compensation. It is incumbent upon him to find a fault so that he can be paid something for that physical provision of a service. Basically "Here Fido Fido boy go seek'em"!

On a more upfront and no hidden costs policy is something that I run in my shop. The tech/mechanic is not on flat rate, rather he is paid like everyone else in this country hourly or on salary. A diagnostic mechanic in my shop is someone who has actual trained & experienced, and he gets $30/hour minimum compensation, that with FICA adds up to a base calculation of $60/hour just to provide a living body to perform diagnostician functions..

Now as a rule a quick 5 minute looksee with a scan to get an idea is free without upfront cost and there is some obvious benefit to that including a large modicum of honesty..
Most jobs & customers want a CEL related job service work provision and are willing to pay for the work.
BUT we do get about an 8% DIY element and some time wasters, that want a scan and advice on how do I fix this myself. The charge is $125.
If we do the work at a later the date the fee for that job on that day is reimbursed within the job as a discount.

Here's an example.
A new customers has bought a 2008 906 with a CEL on. No power!
Quick scan scan shows plugged DPF , EGR cooler and an EGR fault.
Do you want to look at this further?
If a yes then its $125

We give him an estimate to fix, he rejects all of it and then declares I am going to DIY it.
OK that's his right but he incurred a $125 scan charge which is declared up front before the R/O is written to conduct and an invasive interrogation of the vehicle and the system involved..

So he went away and got his buddy to clean the EGR cooler, sent the DPF out for a bake which cost him $250 and he replaced the EGR valve that cost him $650 ish as I recall.,
He was VOR'd for about ten days fixing it.
Then he came back to reset the soot loads etc and check his work, again a $125 charge to reset and test everything. Then we sent him to a test station that would pass the rig's E test without any undue fuss!

In fact looking at the R/O it would have actually been cheaper in many ways for us to do the job and the van would have been turned around and back on the road within 48 hours.
The cooler clean out yes, a NEW /exchange factory DPF $640, and new Diff pressure @ $134 and from our view it didn't really need new EGR it was a proviso on the original R/O!
But we went a way happy having satisfied his repair criterion.
We sold a service, he fixed it.
All up front and no sneaky teaser rates or hidden traps and certainly NO Fido go slkem!
Really Euro/Auzzie style service (Or as one visiting Auzzie said )
Dennis this like a bloody good Auzzie garage mate!
Yeh thanks & next time i will have some Castlemaine in the fridge!:thumbup:
Dennis
Shop owner

Last edited:

Top Bottom