Work/moto/camper

Bob Laps

Some great details in this thread, Bob! Thanks for sharing them. That side view shows what a long beast this van is. Cheers
Thank u bro...I'm compiling the stuff for the front (camper) part now...prob start in the fall...my van don't fit in my garage and my driveway gets the sun practically all day...hard to find motivation after work with those conditions

Bob

Thanks man...much appreciated...did u get 4wd?...I wish I did,..a lifted 4wd dually would be awesome....maybe next time

Bob

Thought about the 4x4 and as cool as it’d be it wasn’t in the budget for the little use I’d make of it. I pull a snowmobile trailer and ski a lot and there are very few times I’d actually use it. Sure it’d be nice once or twice a year, but for an additional $10k a lot of things would be nice that I’d use more often. I do plan on putting on a 2” lift and some bfg’s eventually, but for now I’ll be focused on the interior build out. Just starting on the wiring and insulation... my evenings and nights are spent alone in my van. :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Laps

Thought about the 4x4 and as cool as it’d be it wasn’t in the budget for the little use I’d make of it. I pull a snowmobile trailer and ski a lot and there are very few times I’d actually use it. Sure it’d be nice once or twice a year, but for an additional $10k a lot of things would be nice that I’d use more often. I do plan on putting on a 2” lift and some bfg’s eventually, but for now I’ll be focused on the interior build out. Just starting on the wiring and insulation... my evenings and nights are spent alone in my van. :).

That's funny... pretty much my answers...would like 4wd but don't really need it and could spend 10k on other stuff. I also plan on the lift and tires but finishing the inside is more my priority...start a build thread dude

Bob

Bob Laps

Been workin on the van a little...
Running wires,insulating and dampening the front floor,and building the bed/sofa/amp rack/sub enclosure/inverter house/ drawers... here’s some pics
IMG_5504.jpg
IMG_5533.jpg
IMG_5535.jpg
IMG_5537.jpg
IMG_5562.jpg

Bob Laps

Got a little more done...amps installed,fan wired,one of the front panels and the slats ripped
IMG_5649.jpg
IMG_5657.jpg
IMG_5658.jpg
Also made a rubber flap thing so I don’t have to look at the tracks and swivel under the seat
IMG_5655.jpg

Bob

bobloblaw

How did putting insulation (Thinsulate?) under the front flooring work? What thickness is that?

I really want to add some there, but was worried the flooring wouldn't lay flat, or would feel squishy afterwards.

Bob Laps

How did putting insulation (Thinsulate?) under the front flooring work? What thickness is that?

I really want to add some there, but was worried the flooring wouldn't lay flat, or would feel squishy afterwards.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Q584IY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's what I used on the floor along with dynamat covering the entire floor which is prob around an 1/8 thick.... The Original floor fit fine afterwards.... No more squishy that I can tell than before.. I highly recommend it..... Made a considerable difference sound wise... Thermally who knows but I'm sure it had to help a little

Bob

Bob Laps

Finally got the futon/bed done...IMG_5724.jpg
IMG_5760.jpg
IMG_5763.jpg
IMG_5778.jpg
IMG_5779.jpg

Made some angled tweeter pods for the A pillar

Drilled some holes and put some mesh behind in the compartment cover on the front doors to give my crossovers some air

And mounted my ram mount

Bob

Built.Vans

2024 170 AWD
Hey man. Awesome build! I am in the same boat as you. I use my van for work and play. Does the futon bed expand? I assume it does but it would be awesome if you could share a pic of it expanded and the mattress laid down. I am also a woodworker so I have access to lots of tools and materials.

Bob Laps

Hey man. Awesome build! I am in the same boat as you. I use my van for work and play. Does the futon bed expand? I assume it does but it would be awesome if you could share a pic of it expanded and the mattress laid down. I am also a woodworker so I have access to lots of tools and materials.
Thanks dude....I don't have a pic with the mattress laid down but there is a pic of it slid apart without the mattress. And to open it u just slide it open enough to clear the drawer faces and tilt it up to get to the amps/inverter and stuff

Bob

Bob Laps

For my door speaker install I’m going up to 6 1/2” components so I cut out the ring that holds the stock grill and installed some wire mesh to the back side of the door panel
IMG_5793.JPG
IMG_5791.jpg

While I was at it I made a panel wrapped with foam and carpet for the flat space under the handle. I think it woulda looked better in black but I had this carpet for when I get to my headliner shelf... maybe it will cut down outside noise by .0001 dB

IMG_5792.jpg

This is the whole thing with the bottom piece that I drilled holes in for the cross overs

IMG_5790.jpg

Bob

Top Bottom