Mod Idea--Composting Toilet

A month on the road with daily deposits into my Airhead and all is as well as I originally reported over a year ago. I think this modification is one of the best that I have done given how I like to use my Westfalia. The airhead and using the outside shower means that I never have to run to a dump station.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
One drawback for me with the commercially available composting toilets like the Airhead is the greater depth. The Westy floorplan was originally designed with the very shallow Thetford bench toilet, so the NAFTA Bravura toilet has much greater depth and knee bumping on sink cabinet issue. Saw one Westy where the Bravura was installed slightly askew so more knee space.

A solution is to replace the bathroom sink and cabinet with a shallow sink and cabinet (sink and cabinet would be more rectangular in shape). Maybe 9" deep.and 15" wide?

While losing storage space, you'd gain more knee space. You'd likely lose the aesthetic of the accordion sliding door.

I don't remember the dimensions of the original black water toilet, but the Airhead only sticks off the rear wall 17.75 inches.

I removed my bathroom sink and cabinet entirely....why have a second sink when the kitchen sink is three feet away. I fabricated a small triangular aluminum counter top which holds the bathroom faucet to facilitate inside showering. The counter top measures 14 inches across the front. I would like to build a small cabinet under my counter top for additional storage of small items, but have not done that yet.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
New Alternatives

1.Simploo

http://www.simploo.co.uk/product/simploo-waterless-composting-toilet-compost-toilets-eco-loo/

Looks nice like a hatbox toilet, but still a bit too much depth.

2. Kildwick.com

Same as offgriddesigns mentioned earlier. They have made several innovations, including (a) anti-microbacterial built-into separator, (b) turning mechanism for solid wastes (optional to compete with Airhead/Nature Head or no mechanism like Separett for easier disposal), (c) exhaust fan built into exhaust tubes, and (d) new, much smaller.but same solid capacity Koodle.

The Koodle is waterproof for wet baths, portable for relocation, small non-permanent exhaust hose, etc.

I like the nice smooth surface and the toilet lid which is flush with perimeter.

I can't tell how it is permanently or semi permanently affixed (floorplate or bolts?), whether the solid waste container can only be removed from side or from top, etc.

The Koodle has great possibilities. I think its small size and better aesthetics than the other Kildwick models make it a model to track.

https://www.facebook.com/koodleloo/

conleysa

I have a Roadtrek Agile and was looking into replacing the standard toilet with a composting toilet or even a cassette toilet. The shower pan is not flat, has an 8" elevation where the toilet sits - which I'd like to remove if the cassette is to sit inside the bathroom. Anyone know what's beneath that elevation? Is it just there to make the toilet higher?

I have a Roadtrek Agile and was looking into replacing the standard toilet with a composting toilet or even a cassette toilet. The shower pan is not flat, has an 8" elevation where the toilet sits - which I'd like to remove if the cassette is to sit inside the bathroom. Anyone know what's beneath that elevation? Is it just there to make the toilet higher?
The Westfalia has a similar raised area in the shower pan for the toilet to sit on. In addition to making the toilet seat height higher, my assumption is that the intent of the raised area is to keep the toilet flange hole in the shower pan used to attach the toilet up and away from the water that accumulates on the shower pan floor as you shower. In the Westfalia the raised area under the pan is filled with a wooden block shaped to match the shower pan.

Top Bottom