Mystery propane leak

Kiltym

We have a mystery propane leak, so figured I would throw it out here to see if anyone has seen something similar.

When we bought the van a few months ago, I knew there was a small leak at the T-Fitting off the valve at the tank. The fitting is to connect a BBQ to the main propane tank. Not sure if this was standard, or added later, but one of the joints was leaking. Ordered a replacement, and no more leak. https://www.rvsupplyparts.com/catal...lsior-adapter-extend-a-stay-me420p-10436.html

But, we still smell propane. I have put soap on all the joints (at least 2x) and cannot find any leaks (all fittings on the tank, at the T fitting under van where it splits to generator, at the generator, and at the point it enters the van at the rear). It seems to be coming from the generator area, but I have tested the connections at the generator where the fabric hose connects and don't find a leak.

Has anyone heard of the generator itself having an internal leak? That is my next thinking, but am not looking forward to dropping the generator. I did some searching in general since this is a Onan thing, not a Westy thing, and did not come up with anything, so assume it is very rare, if indeed that is our problem.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
1 Propane Line to Generator

Awhile ago, someone pointed out a problem where the propane line to the generator was not secured adequately and was rubbing against the driveshaft. There was a mark on the driveshaft from the propane line rubbing.

So might want to take a close look at that propane line (entire length as well as connectors at end too).

Apparently, the whole length of the propane tubing needs to be checked (not just the ends) when looking for propane leaks. So put soapy water on the tubing (rubber propane tubing may have a lifespan?).

OneManVan Thread: Also, OneManVan found a problem with the installation of the propane line and a leak.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36276&highlight=Propane+driveshaft

Two leaks found by OneManVan: (a) rubber to metal area at 90 degree angle area and (b) test port at carburetor (post "3).

2 Original Eqpt?

Don't know whether Airstream or Westfalia added the BBQ and extend-a-stay fittings, but they came with the Westy when new.

Could check the Owner Manual--if in manual, then Westy installed; if not in manual like generator, then Airstream installed.

Last edited:

Kiltym

Found it. Just a random spot in the fabric/rubber hose.

Will pull it out and order a new one. Thanks for everyone's input, especially the post from Oneman with all the details!

coloradobjj

this might be obvious for most but threw me for a loop. I thought I had a gas leak but turned out it was the house battery, I had the wrong battery (peeeps at the rv place said I could put any battery in because it was vented and I listened). now I have the gel batteries and obviously no problem.

Top Bottom