TPMS system for 2019 Sprinter 3500

Agile sells these https://agileoffroad.com/product/tpms-mercedes-sprinter/
These appear to be the same on amazon

I was just looking at wheels/tire combos tonight and had a few thoughts.
a) is it hard to reset to new tpms sensors.
b) by buying wheels, tpms and tires all in different places....is the savings worth it to go and pay for mounting....
c) most tire shops besides a 4x4 places I thought avoid going more than a plus size over factory
d) I want to go national chain on the tires with full warrantee (costco)/cheap insurance....

I am just wondering if the hassle is worth it....when I priced out it saves ~$200

pfflyer

I researched this for my 2015 chassis with steel wheels. Dill Air Control Products listed a couple of years ago, internal TPMS sensors with an separate screen to monitor the 6 tire pressures for a Sprinter 3500. I got it from Tire Rack and one of their approved shops tried to mount it and they couldn't get the front sensor to fit properly on the 3500 steel wheel. They never tried the rears. I ended up with the cap style system and Tireman valve stems. The Dill system was more expensive than the RV cap systems but not by much but I wouldn't need to upgrade my OEM stems to one piece steel ones so in the long run it would have been less expensive.
Here is what Dill lists for the 2019 Sprinter. I notice they no longer have a sub category for the 3500. I suspect none of these will work on 3500 wheels. I don't think the issue is integration. I think there is not a sensor small enough to fit and get a good seal on the front wheels. Good luck.
https://www.dillvalves.com/tpms-lookup/?mk=M-Benz&mdl=Sprinter&yr=2019

The system I picked out was similar to their trailer system. The system I picked out is no longer listed.
https://www.dillvalves.com/product_category/tpms/trailer-tpms/

Last edited:
I have a 2018 3500XD and was upset that it didn’t have TPMS but I got over it once I saw I have a passive system standard. Basically when pressure gets low enough the rolling diameter changes enough to throw a tire pressure low warning light. It won’t tell me which tire but at least I can take a look and determine myself. My guess is 2020 has same or it could be activated using a good programer ( Star, Autel Pro/Elite...).

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
I have a 2018 3500XD and was upset that it didn’t have TPMS but I got over it once I saw I have a passive system standard. Basically when pressure gets low enough the rolling diameter changes enough to throw a tire pressure low warning light. It won’t tell me which tire but at least I can take a look and determine myself. My guess is 2020 has same or it could be activated using a good programer ( Star, Autel Pro/Elite...).
Where did you see that there is a passive TPMS on your 2018 3500XD Sprinter?

TPMS that measure low pressure by comparing wheel speeds are certainly possible. They were the standard until in-wheel sensors were developed. But such a system, if it existed on a 3500 Sprinter, would not work on the rear axle with dual wheels.

As fas as I know there is no TPMS on 3500 Sprinters with dual rear wheels. They are not required in USA by USDOT regulations - thus not installed by Mercedes Vans.

Does anyone else have info on this topic?

I have several top scanners - the Autel Maxisys Elite is what I’m using currently. When I went to activate my 2018 Cornering lights, which are disabled in the US, I looked at other coding (existing and what could be activated). I believe it was in either the NAFTA Ignition lock coding or in the Instrument Cluster coding under “show coding” - Tire Pressure Monitoring “ Passive” on Always - type of Warning = Dash Warning light active. Regardless of the Warning the Sprinter would also go into LHM as the rolling diameter would be significantly different and would cause such in any Sprinter, with or without TPMS. You are correct, If one of the dually tires goes low, it wouldn’t be picked up by a passive system.

You’re relatively close, I’m in Middleburg VA - my wife even works in Silver S, MD. If you need any help with your 3500 I’d be happy to lend a hand. I “think” on your model year even the speed limiter can be raised (not saying you want to do that but just nice to know).

Boxster1971

I have several top scanners - the Autel Maxisys Elite is what I’m using currently. When I went to activate my 2018 Cornering lights, which are disabled in the US, I looked at other coding (existing and what could be activated). I believe it was in either the NAFTA Ignition lock coding or in the Instrument Cluster coding under “show coding” - Tire Pressure Monitoring “ Passive” on Always - type of Warning = Dash Warning light active. Regardless of the Warning the Sprinter would also go into LHM as the rolling diameter would be significantly different and would cause such in any Sprinter, with or without TPMS. You are correct, If one of the dually tires goes low, it wouldn’t be picked up by a passive system.

You’re relatively close, I’m in Middleburg VA - my wife even works in Silver S, MD. If you need any help with your 3500 I’d be happy to lend a hand. I “think” on your model year even the speed limiter can be raised (not saying you want to do that but just nice to know).
Thanks. I have a Autel MaxiDAS DS808, but I don't think it is as capable as your Maxisys Elite. The 82 mph speed limit on my Sprinter is adequate for my needs.

I had a flat on the inner dual during one of my early road trips. It occurred sometime between my morning pre-drive check and the first rest stop about 2 hours later. Tire sidewall was completely split, but had not yet separated. There was no indication of the flat. That caused me to add an after market TPMS by TST.

RedLdr1

I have a new Sprinter 3500 based motor home on order and per Mercedes there is not a TPMS option on the 3500 dually.

I have a TST 507 TPMS I've used on other motor homes I may use. I've also contacted Dill and may go with their system as it is a lot simpler than the TST. And there are no annual battery changes. Per Scott Lakin at Dill Tech Support (919-692-2376) here is what you'll need for each wheel:

(1) 1194 band

(1) 1025-U cradle

(1) 1092 valve stem

And one 1506-453 Display. I've attached a photo that Scott provided showing how the TPMS sender should be installed. Hope this helps.

Attachments

Last edited:

Boxster1971

I have a new Sprinter 3500 based motor home on order and per Mercedes there is not a TPMS option on the 3500 dually.

I have a TST 507 TPMS I've used on other motor homes I may use. I've also contacted Dill and may go with their system as it is a lot simpler than the TST. And there are no annual battery changes. Per Scott Lakin at Dill Tech Support (919-692-2376) here is what you'll need for each wheel:

(1) 1194 band

(1) 1025-U cradle

(1) 1092 valve stem

And one 1506-453 Display. I've attached a photo that Scott provided showing how the TPMS sender should be installed. Hope this helps.
Thanks - good info. I've looked at this approach before - it is best solution and something Mercedes should offer as an option.

But if you are going to band the sensor inside the wheel, like Ford and others do, why do you need the 1092 valve stem? You will need a sensor (like 1048) or the black plastic part in photo. It contains all the electronics and sealed battery. You don't need a valve stem.

RedLdr1

I had a Dill system, on a trailer, and not all of their TPMS sensors are compatible with their remote dash display. Each TPMS sensor I had also came with a snap in receiver module that goes in the dash display in the appropriate wheel position. I suspect that Dill specified these parts, used in their trailer line up, to work with their dash display. Which brings up a good point. If you go with Dill mark each wheel and module so you know which wheel goes with which module. Then if you rotate your tires you can easily move the modules around in the dash display to keep the location correct. On a trailer it wasn't a big deal, on a dually Sprinter it will be!:rolleyes:

Top Bottom