Blow Engine in Maryland -- Hoping to save homemade RV!

FHazz

I bought a 2005 T1N (tall/long cargo) with 360k miles that needed a transmission in February. Got it on the road. Drove it 1,000 miles and spent 4 months and $6,000 building out the rear as an RV for my college-age daughter. Blew the engine on a trip to Home Depot. Will crank with some ugly noises, but won't run. No fluids leaking. Took it to three mechanics, all said it needs an engine. First mechanic said he couldn't fix it. Second mechanic said he wouldn't fix it (too much risk for him). Third mechanic said he could fix it but couldn't find an engine (the only available engines seemed to be in Europe). Should I gut it and sell it for scrap or is there hope? Thanks.

DRTDEVL

USED engine. Keep searching.

I just stumbled upon the right folks when mine blew, and for $4036 out the door, had a 120,000 mile unit out of a 2006 that was fogged and palletized over a decade ago installed. It came from a rear-ended FedEx that was bought by a contractor and the big items were removed and properly stored for use if one of his vans needed them. Now that they have switched out to NCV3 and beyond across the fleet, he was willing to let it go for a song ($2600 for it).

DRTDEVL

A quick search revealed:

Engine Assembly
Dodge Sprinter 3500 Van 112K W/TURBO 112,515 A B19E1250 $4435 Condon's Auto Parts USA-MD(Westminster) 870-236-4600

That's a little more than I paid, but mine didn't include the turbo.

There's also one in RI, tested good, with 90-day warranty for $2200 with 219,000 miles, if that's more palatable...

Last edited:

Top Bottom