OM612 injector/high pressure pump replacement

Colorado_Al

You will at the very least need to replace the pump gaskets. The problem is the gaskets age and become brittle. The pressure from the pump is pretty high and it will just get worse.

wooffi

Great write up, found it too late.

Had a leak for a couple of weeks now, small drip but it got all over the belts and I had to oil soap spray them every couple of days.

Luckily I don't drive the beast that much. Finally also found a used pump on eBay $260 and last week started the task.

Since I didn't see this post, I did not remove headlights and grill, I rather just took out the air pump and than the high pressure pump. It wasn't very hard. But my problem turned out to be the used pump.

I ran down two batteries trying to get old humpty started, than finally had the bright idea to check the pumps outlet for fuel, nothing! After I wasted hours.

I had the truck loaded for a farmers market, so what to do? I put the old pump back in, it wasn't the type with the loose bolts, checked all bolts on the pump, all seemed tight.

Of course the little flaps that are supposed to be on the fuel line clamps, had not been there at all for a while, so I got some oil resistant putty from Auto Zone, problem solved, fuel lines are secure and can't slide towards the serpentine belt.

Put her back together, charged the battery and at 5:00 AM Saturday she started right up.

To my total surprise the leak had also vanished. It's totally dry now. Go figure, the eBay seller offers 90 day return, so hopefully I get my money back.

But since I searched and searched this forum, I also found some British pump rebuilding companies that ship to the US, all between $200 and $ 300.

I hope this helps someone.

Cheers

Wolfgang

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toobiloo

This is a pretty old thread but was useful so I figured I’d post my experience.
I have a OM 612, it started to leak fuel at low temperatures, so I determined it was the high pressure fuel pump. The leak was pretty constant, so needed to be fixed.
I contacted Dr. A but he no longer rebuilds the pumps, so that left me trying to find a decent price for a rebuilt pump or attempting to replace the seals myself.
I decided to attempt the seal replacement myself.
I bought this seal kit:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The kit includes the big o-ring that fits between the pump body and the crankcase. The seal did not exactly match the seals that came out of the pump, but they seamed to be the same sizes.
I followed procedure outlined by surly old bill to get the pump out, and this Utube vid to replace the seals:
https://youtu.be/SsKsgImEPIo

Somewhere I picked up a useful tip, which was after the pump was re- installed, I left the high pressure fuel line off (the steel fuel line) and fit a piece of tubing over the pump side of the connector and turned the motor over to run some fuel through the system to flush out any possible contaminants. After I flushed through a fair amount of fuel, I hooked the high pressure fuel line.
So far the repair is working, but it is still early days.

First, I am grateful for this write-up. I hope my description below doesn't come off as entitled.
I am lost here:
6. remove fan (T60? bit, some sort of bar to prevent engine turning, I used a large pin driver)
Second, on my van, it's definitely not a T60 bolt. I did go out and buy a T60 bit, and it definitely isn't right. My van has an allen head bolt in there, though I am not sure of the size since my socket that fits it mysteriously doesn't say the size on it. Maybe somebody who knows the size could suggest an edit to the original post.
Third, what kind of bar? Okay, something like a pin driver, I guess, but how large is a large pin driver? I had never heard of a pin driver. But that's not the most important thing since I could probably figure out an appropiate bar if I knew where to put it. What do I do with the bar? I mangled a small screw driver by wedging it between some of those screw heads on the pulley behind the fan. I can't imagine that's where I am supposed to put this large pin driver because I can't imagine anything small enough to go there would be strong enough.
Anyone able to fill me in on this?
Mike

Axiom

Mike from Florida Van Man
First, I am grateful for this write-up. I hope my description below doesn't come off as entitled.
I am lost here:

Second, on my van, it's definitely not a T60 bolt. I did go out and buy a T60 bit, and it definitely isn't right. My van has an allen head bolt in there, though I am not sure of the size since my socket that fits it mysteriously doesn't say the size on it. Maybe somebody who knows the size could suggest an edit to the original post.
Third, what kind of bar? Okay, something like a pin driver, I guess, but how large is a large pin driver? I had never heard of a pin driver. But that's not the most important thing since I could probably figure out an appropiate bar if I knew where to put it. What do I do with the bar? I mangled a small screw driver by wedging it between some of those screw heads on the pulley behind the fan. I can't imagine that's where I am supposed to put this large pin driver because I can't imagine anything small enough to go there would be strong enough.
Anyone able to fill me in on this?
Mike
The fan is not held in place by T60 bolts on our 2003-2006 Sprinters here at the yard. This tool says BMW, but it fits and we've confirmed it works: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Fan-Cl...RhyMstFUUASrpbOZXQFQuu_N93sKg3jhzwt7c5VPF8k9A

Isla

My om612 started leaking this morning. Pretty sure it's the high pressure pump was hoping it was the fuel connections coming into the pump but looks like it's not. Several people on here mentioned european-based pump rebuilding services for between two and $300. I'm having a hard time finding any information anywhere on the internet about rebuilds other than Google pulling up piles of forum posts. Has anyone had these rebuilt overseas what was your experience and who did you use? I'm really reluctant to order a used pump off eBay. Is the pretty old thread but I figured it would be worth a shot.

Shout out to anyone driving a t1n in 2021!

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
I'm having a hard time finding any information anywhere on the internet about rebuilds
Now that Andy is no longer doing it, you may try his former partner, Don Schindler at

Schindler Automotive, LLC
1004 Glenn Ave.
Glenshaw, PA 15118

Phone: 412-486-3211

While he may not do it either, he may have a lead.

Shout out to anyone driving a t1n in 2021!
March 2002 my van qualifies for Historic plates.

Last edited:

ohasha

Hiya, does anybody know if the HP pumps that are on the 2000ish c class Mercedes can be used on the sprinter by just changing the electrical connector? They visually appear the same as the sprinter pumps apart from the lack of the electrical connector. Bolt locations where the connector should be look the same too, just has a cover instead.

Top Bottom