Completed our BigLap on our 2012 4WD Sprinter

Dakkush

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to provide some quick update to those who have been following us and our journey around the country on our 2012 4WD LWB Sprinter which I have built from scratch.

It took us about 10 months and 35000 kms counter clock wise, where have traveled to the tip, tackling some part of the Old Telegraph Track, then headed towards Alice Springs where we have opted for gravel roads rather then the bitumen to be able to see just a bit more then the most popular places.

Up next was El Questro... First time we did a river crossing which was probably 60-70cm deep and the van did just great. It was amazing to see peoples reactions when they saw the van on the other side of the crossing.

If you are planning on visiting Broome, I strongly suggest travelling up north towards the James Point which again starts with easy gravel road then gets a bit serious as you head towards the beach. Great spots (check out our instagram page for some great arial shots www.instagram.com/vanalyzethis

Then we head south and came probably the most challenging part of the journey. Shark Bay... It is a soft sand track that takes to to the most westerly point and it was fairly difficult. We had to use our sandtracks multiple times but I must say, it was really worth it.

From there onwards it was fairly easy, had a pitstop at Perth to get the van serviced - (replaced all shock absorbers and the front steering rack which introduced some play which I wasn't going to let it go even though I was told that it could serve me for another 100k. when crossing the Nullobar at over 40 degrees, we had an unfortunate situation where the coolant hose which was touching the air-conditioning pipe got melted and we started to leak coolant. Got the hose replaced but the mechanic did not pay enough attention to the o-ring on the radiator plug when he was draining the coolant out to replace with the new coolant. Few hundred Kms later, we were looking for an o-ring somewhere in between Adelaide and Melbourne...

It was around late December when we arrived in Melbourne and I took the van to Eric to get his opinion after travelling 35k kms. I was there 10 months back before the trip so it was a good opportunity for me to get his expert opinion. I reckon I was once again fairly satisfied with the overall condition and the built. Can't complain!!!

We are now back in Sydney and trying to settle in once again. I would be more than happy to assist those who are planning on doing the loop or wanting to get some opinion around the interior design, setup etc.

We are currently planning on selling the van so if you were looking to buy something that is already being tested, pls let me know.

Hope this post gives some motivation to those who are also considering to tackle one of the best routes on this planet.

Cheers
Deniz

Dakkush

Did you keep tally of fuel costs MPG/ km per 100 & any other cost stats
We averaged 13 lt/100 km driving 90-95km/h
while crossing NT, we got a bit bored and got up to 120-130kms but then the consumption goes up to 16lt where fuel is about $2 a litre.

we have got a big Bullbar and a winch in the front with spotties and a 42" lightbar on the roof and a solar panels which obviously impacts the aerodynamic. We weight around 4 tonnes carrying 100lt of fuel and 150lt of fresh water.

Hope this helps

Wyuna

We noticed your sprinter at Alexander Bridge Campground in South West WA, when we were doing our Lap, might have been in September or October.

Was going to come down and have a look, but you guys left before we got down there to have a look.

Did you have any issues with the Duallys off road and airing down?

We are heading back around to do another lap in 6 weeks, so much to see

Dakkush

We noticed your sprinter at Alexander Bridge Campground in South West WA, when we were doing our Lap, might have been in September or October.

Was going to come down and have a look, but you guys left before we got down there to have a look.

Did you have any issues with the Duallys off road and airing down?

We are heading back around to do another lap in 6 weeks, so much to see
We are also considering getting back on the road again but first we will need to fill back up our bank accounts :(

We had no issues with the Rear dual tyres even though they are slightly bigger than the standard size (205 rather than 195). In some spots, I have lowered them down to low 10s - extremely soft sand in Shark Bay in WA. Did all Cape York around 30 psi with no worries. Yes the inner sides kiss each other and yes there is the risk of a rock getting stuck in between which can easily blow up the tyre but then the amount of grip you get especially on soft sand is much needed.
The only downside is the limited articulation you get which sometimes may result with tyre lifts but momentum helps!

Is yours 4wd as well? Do you have pictures of the interior? Ours can be seen on https://www.caravancampingsales.com...-6523234?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-6523234

Top Bottom