Refridgerator

Tuktu

2010 Regency GT, Triple E
I have been meaning to ask if the refrigerator works good and can keep things(beer)cold. Nothing worse than a RV fridge that does not keep food and drinks cold.

Shane

Eastbayview

2012 Unity MB
I have been meaning to ask if the refrigerator works good and can keep things(beer)cold. Nothing worse than a RV fridge that does not keep food and drinks cold.

Shane
I think the fridge works well when it is running on propane. Keeps things frozen in the freezer. 12 volt will not cool well, just maintains the current temp. 120v would be the second best choice.

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
On my third RV fridge (3 different RVs). All were 110V/12V/LP selectable. 2 were automatic power selection, 1 manual. All could get cold enough to use the freezer compartment ... Even in Texas summertime. Power source didn't matter. They all take time to get down to the selected temperature regardless of power choice. Once cold, they stayed cold.

Do pre-cool or freeze your vittles before putting them in the fridge. Keep the door SHUT as much as possible. Make sure the fridge has adequate chimney space and openings at the top and bottom for adequate air flow. They perform best when nearly level....

Peter Tourin

2020 Unity RL, ex 2012 Unity MB
+1 > They perform best when nearly level.... <
You really notice this when you park on a slope once your fridge is cold, and over the afternoon it goes up 10 degrees... I carry a cheap levelling bubble and check for level whenever it's practical to do so.

I also experience that 12vdc doesn't do much for dropping the temp in the fridge - but it'll keep it cool once it's already cool.

Mine is a Tundra unit 120ac / 12 volt (actually 12 volt with a converter built in) It cools and freezes just fine. Humans like the van to be level too, for sleeping.

Peter Tourin

> Humans like the van to be level too, for sleeping <
Yeah, that's one of my rules of thumb - if the rig is noticeably tilted when I lie down, the fridge will probably be unhappy <g>...
I find that the problem is more likely to show up when I park some place that's on a big slope during the day, go hiking for 5 hours, and come back to find a warm fridge. My impression is that this is a problem both on LP and on 12vdc - I assume it's a problem of coolant flow in the coils rather than the power source for the cooling.

Last edited:

Peter Tourin

Thanks Jackfish, never thought to check for one. I just picked up a freebie - Handy Tools Surface Level - simple, measures 2 dimensions and shows the X and Y axis inclination in degrees. Very cool!

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
One way that works well is to cut a piece of wood that is 1/16 the tread of the Sprinter wide X 1/16 the wheelbase long. The Lynx plastic blocks are 1" thick so 1/16" thick steel washers are in scale to the block. Screw a two way level to the piece of wood. Place wood on sink top and add washers under the corners until block is level. Count the number of washers at each corner and that is the stack height required at that wheel.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=239071&postcount=29

Pat123

I came across this in the manual has me wondering. Also I would like to see 2 door fridge with Seperate freezer come at least as an option.
It is very important that the Motorhome is leveled correctly when parked for the refrigerator to operate safely and properly.
Caution
If the Motorhome is parked off-level by more than a few degrees for more than an hour, permanent damage could be done to the refrigerator.

Peter Tourin

If you have a surface level app like the ones we were talking about on the iPhone - or any level that gives the tilt angle in degrees - it's also pretty simple. Roughly, you need about a 3" block to raise the rig 1 degree lengthwise or to tilt it 1.8 degrees widthwise. I won't do the math here, but it's easy enough - all you need is the wheelbase and the wheel width. I figure on just measuring my blocks so I know the height of the steps - then I'll just make a table - it'll really take the guesswork out of levelling.

Next day - I just put together a crude table and attached it. Nothing fancy, but it sure would make levelling easier - plop the iPhone on a tabletop, see how many degrees off, grab the right ramp - DONE.

Attachments

Last edited:
So i'm finding that the danfoss compressor systems use the lowest amps. I am seeing some that draw say 3 amps in 12V DC but only 0.9amps in 120V AC. If this is the case, why ever use it in the DC setting? (assuming that one has a converter, which i will have)

jackfish

Because it would be 9 amps if inverted. If plugged in, sure use 120VAC, but if running off the batteries 12VDC would more effective.

Currently in Ashland, WI

Chip D

Chip D, 2013 Serenity
I think the fridge works well when it is running on propane. Keeps things frozen in the freezer. 12 volt will not cool well, just maintains the current temp. 120v would be the second best choice.
I guess I'm counter to that a bit. 120 is great. LP in the West and Southern parts of the US leaves a lot to be desired, and 12 volt is abominable.

In fact the LP part was so bad that JackFish and myself swapped out our Dometic RML 8555's for a NovaKool 12 volt only compressor fridge. I love mine, and now the wife has confidence in the fridge - which is most important.

Chip D - Omaha, Ne

Eugene Rider

2016 Unity TB
I guess I'm counter to that a bit. 120 is great. LP in the West and Southern parts of the US leaves a lot to be desired, and 12 volt is abominable.

In fact the LP part was so bad that JackFish and myself swapped out our Dometic RML 8555's for a NovaKool 12 volt only compressor fridge. I love mine, and now the wife has confidence in the fridge - which is most important.

Chip D - Omaha, Ne
How big?

Chip D

Chip D, 2013 Serenity
Novakool RFU6800 which I think is slightly larger in CU's than the Demonic that it replaces. But in fact the physical size was a perfect match. See my earlier thread on my swap.

It's probably not for everyone being able to only use 12volt. But in my/our case, we don't boondock except overnight at a Walmart/CrackerBarrel. And when we stay at family or friends, we hook up to 120 so the batts are always charged. And obviously when we are at an RV park, we are hooked up.

Chip D - Omaha, Ne

jackfish

Nova Kool RFU 6800
6.8 cu. ft. total
4.3 cu. ft. refrigerator
2.5 cu. ft. freezer

Currently in Ashland, WI

Last edited:

Top Bottom