Autel MD802 connection/fit issue

cmderden79

Just bought our first van, 2006 t1n 170 WB. At the recommendation of many on the forum our first purchase was the MD802 scanner.

Is it normal for the connection on these to be an extremely tight fit? Most videos I have watched it seems to pop right in, but both on my Fusion and the Sprinter I have to struggle to get it connected. The Fusion was finally able to make a good connection and get a scan...the Sprinter we could never even get it to power the unit.

Any help would be appreciated.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The OBD plugs and sockets do have a fair (or unfair) amount of differences in terms of size tolerances and thus how well they fit.

Since we don't know (without extracting) who made the Sprinter's socket, and since we have no control over what make of plug the various scanners chose to put on the end of their cords (why does "low bid" spring to mind? :whistle:), it's pot luck as to how snug they'll be.

My ScanGauge plug takes a fair amount of force to fully seat and to start it coming back out again.
Since i'd like to have it stay snug when driving, i don't consider that a bad thing.

The plug on my DAD is a bit easier to get in and out, but could that be due to it missing one pin?
(i forget which signal the DAD ignores ... it's probably just the switched-by-ignition power feed).

When you're pulling and pushing, do try to remember to have it go *straight* in and out ... having the pins flex due to lateral twisting can cause them to break off in the socket.

--dick

Last edited:

cmderden79

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah I was definitely trying to keep it on the straight and true. Just surprised we couldn't get the sprinter to light it up at all. May buy a cheap Bluetooth just to see how it fairs at connecting.

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
FWIW, I have had no problems connecting my Autel MD802 to the OBDII Port on my 2007 Sprinter and 2002 AudiA4, as well as friends' Mazdas and an Acura.

ions82

Perhaps try an OBD2 extension cable?
I recently bought an Autel MD805 (newer/cheaper version of 802), and there was no way those connectors were going together. I bought an extension/splitter, and it went right on. I thought the connector on the van had been damaged, and I was poised to chop it off and wire on a new one. Glad the extension averted that hassle.

Garandman

Running into same problem. The less expensive scanner I had fits right on. The Autel 802 I cannot get to connect, even pushing fairly hard.

Going to try switching the cables on the chance they are wired the same. At least I can compare them to see the difference.

When I push on the OBDII port, it gives way. Is it rigidly mounted? I'm thinking there's also something broken behind it.

NewfD90

My 2006 has the same problem - this with the AP200 and the UltraGauge. Seems to be that the socket Merc used for 2006 was slightly different. That coupled with the fact that it's mounted on some flimsy plastic makes it hard to get a good connection. There's a hole on the left side of the socket mount plate that I stick my finger in so that I can stiffen up the mount plate while pushing really hard on whatever diagnostic tool I'm plugging in.

Garandman

Compared the two plugs, I’ll get pictures. If you drew a line from the top outermost pin to the bottom, on the one that fits, the fin in the center ends on the line.

On the Autel cable, the fin ends just outside the line. Haven’t done any measurements yet but it looks like trimming each side a little bit will help it work.

Garandman

The center ridges are substantially higher than the connector that fits bottom). Started trimming them, no success yet.

Garandman

Hello Sir,

thanks for information.

Sorry to tell you that currently the causes to this issue is not located out yet.We would need to find similar vehicle here and use our connector to do more tests.

If you purchased this unit specifically for this vehicle, we would suggest you to contact your selling dealer for return.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Kind Regards
Shine Li
Tech Support
Autel Intelligent Technology Corp.,Ltd.
Tel:(0086)755-22672493
Email: support02@autel.com Web:www.autel.com

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The real trick here would be to try to identify the make/model of the Sprinter's socket (such as "amphenol xxyyzz")
That would give Autel an easy part to locate (or fewer excuses to avoid the issue)

--dick

Top Bottom