C319 SPRINTER AS A TOWING VAN

zmigrod

DOES ANYONE TOW A CARAVAN/ TRAILER WITH A SPRINTER.
3.0LTR TURBO DIESEL V6
I HAVE A 2 TON GOLDSTREAM CAMPER TRAILER AND
WAS LOOKING TO USE A SUITABLE CAMPERVAN AS
A TOWING UNIT - WOULD APPRECIATE ANY THOUGHTS
ON PERFORMANCE
PETER

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
Assuming 2 Ton = 4000 lbs - if the weight is unladen, water, food, gear, etc can increase that by quite a bit. I tow a car at 3000 lbs laden, behind a motorhome that is near GVWR and don't have much trouble at 65 mph max.

So if you you don't overload your trailer, i.e. over your max drawbar rating (mine is 5000 lbs), and you don't overload the drawbar load (I think mine is 500 lbs) and don't want to drive at 82 mph up a mountain, you should do fine.

PeterInSa

According to the following below you may be border line with a 2000Kg limit, also Caravans and maybe camper trailers work on 10% ball load so this works out at 200Kg which may be excessive for a Sprinter Towbar on a 519. You would need to confirm the towball load. Also with a fully loaded Sprinter and 2000Trailer + Towball load I would make sure you are within the GCM for the setup.

https://www.autotrader.com.au/mercedes-benz/sprinter/towing-capacity/2018

Peter

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
According to the following below you may be border line with a 2000Kg limit, also Caravans and maybe camper trailers work on 10% ball load so this works out at 200Kg which may be excessive for a Sprinter Towbar on a 519. You would need to confirm the towball load. Also with a fully loaded Sprinter and 2000Trailer + Towball load I would make sure you are within the GCM for the setup.

https://www.autotrader.com.au/mercedes-benz/sprinter/towing-capacity/2018

Peter
But Peter (the OP) did not say he had a 519. His thread title clearly says 319.

So what is the Aus towing limit for a 319?

Keith.

RickW

DOES ANYONE TOW A CARAVAN/ TRAILER WITH A SPRINTER.
3.0LTR TURBO DIESEL V6
I HAVE A 2 TON GOLDSTREAM CAMPER TRAILER AND
WAS LOOKING TO USE A SUITABLE CAMPERVAN AS
A TOWING UNIT - WOULD APPRECIATE ANY THOUGHTS
ON PERFORMANCE
PETER
Hi Peter
i have been towing a pantec trailer [appox weight loaded is 3 tons] for some 15 years with a sprinter
used to have a 316 but found i needed more power and more towing capacity
the 519 dual wheel, i now have is fantastic
tows my trailer all the way to sydney form the Gold Coast each month with no issues.
plenty of power and no problems with sway
if you are going to tow something under two tons then i guess it will be ok with the smaller motor.
but personally i will never get a sprinter with anything other than the 6 cyl from now on.
i am about to order a 4x4 519 mid wheel base to tow same trailer plus a mobile office [caravan] as well, looking forward to the new model and all its features
Rick

jmp6411

Can someone please tell me what the actual towing capacity of a 3500 dully sprinter 6 cyl is I have a boat that weights 5500lbs loaded will it pull it ok thank you

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
given you list 3500, you are likely in north america. Generally speaking the 3500 NCV3 is rated at 7500lbs in the USA. Obviously you need working trailer brakes for anything over 2000lbs (various by state). Also note that you have a GVWR, so your total laden weight can't exceed that. Check your weight sticker on the drivers door jamb I think?

Kevin.Hutch

2011 Mercedes 313 906
Everything I read says 2000kg with brakes and 750kg without, for a any 3.5 tonne model regardless of engine size, but the 4 cyl 313 (130hp) is a little light on power for towing much weight if fitted out as a motorhome. As far as the 190 hp motor I can not see any problem.

PeterInSa

Kevin agree:
https://www.goauto.com.au/car-reviews/mercedes-benz/sprinter/319cdi-mwb/2011-02-28/45332.html

What is not said is the Towbar download limit, in Oz caravans have typically 10% load on the towbar ie 200Kg.

Have a sticker on my drivers side door saying my Towbar/sprinter can tow 2000Kg and have a Towbar load of 180Kg, I think the Bar load is incorrect should be 100Kg or 120Kg per MB specs. ( which to me is rubbish, probably the same download on a towbar for a small car, which does not have the rear chassis strength of the sprinter)

Peter

Top Bottom