Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 10-20-2019, 03:29 PM   #11
Wrinkledpants

Default Re: Maxxair Deluxe vs Maxxair Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgravlin View Post
I'm looking at putting two roof vents into my 170 sprinter. Curious as to which model is more popular with Sprinter owners? The Maxxair Deluxe vents from the underside of the cover so it can operate in the rain. But it appears to sit up higher when closed which might be an issue with a roof rack. The Maxxair Plus is a traditional style with the hinged cover. You'll get wet if it rains but it appears to sit lower when closed. I don't see any other differences with these two models.

Anyone gone through this purchase decision before? Why one over the other?

Thanks!
Plenty of options to get cross bars that clear the vent. There is no way I'd trust the rain sensor to keep the inside of the van dry.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:56 PM   #12
sparkplug

Can't comment on the plus as I've never used it, but extremely satisfied with the Deluxe.

I also don't have roof racks, but I would guess that it would not be too difficult to either adapt existing mounting points to be higher, or to fabricate some roof bars which clear it.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:13 PM   #13
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 8,360 Times in 6,069 Posts

I'm going to be lazy and not visit the MaxxFan website ... but can't you buy an add-on rain cover that effectively turns other MaxxFan models into a Deluxe?

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:19 PM   #14
GSWatson
2013 144

Yes, but it looks like itís a foot high and is kinda ugly.

Cheers,
Greg
GSWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:13 PM   #15
HarryN

Perhaps the most precious space on a conversion van is the roof.

A rack has the potential to expand the convenience of using roof space, but it doesn't increase the load capacity of the van's roof rating, so it is a trade off.

Since I tend to look at things from an electrical perspective first, putting two fans on a van roof seems like a sacrilege vs filling it with panels or other electrical stuff.

I have not done this yet, but my thinking is to instead use something like a bathroom exhaust fan / blower and duct it out through the floor or similar. That way there are no large holes in the roof.

https://wirlnet-inc.square.site
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:35 AM   #16
hein
Van Guru

Thanked 1,939 Times in 1,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
I have not done this yet, but my thinking is to instead use something like a bathroom exhaust fan / blower and duct it out through the floor or similar. That way there are no large holes in the roof.
We plumbed our bathroom vent through the rear door. The air is is moved by a bilge fan. It is very effective at removing stink and moisture from the bathroom.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan.com
541 490 5098

more info, links and photos: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ent#post276946

Last edited by hein; 10-22-2019 at 02:43 AM.
hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:37 AM   #17
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Thanked 2,738 Times in 1,999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
Perhaps the most precious space on a conversion van is the roof.

A rack has the potential to expand the convenience of using roof space, but it doesn't increase the load capacity of the van's roof rating, so it is a trade off.

Since I tend to look at things from an electrical perspective first, putting two fans on a van roof seems like a sacrilege vs filling it with panels or other electrical stuff.

What do you consider or is the load rating of the sprinter roof?
OrioN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:35 PM   #18
HarryN

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrioN View Post
What do you consider or is the load rating of the sprinter roof?
It's surprisingly low. I did a quick check on the body builders guide to see how my memory is functioning and its about 300-350 lbs on the rails.

Those reinforced pre made factory holes in the gutter area are pretty thin sheet steel.

I have never been able to find any other numbers to rely on. Do you have other numbers that can be used?

https://wirlnet-inc.square.site
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote