Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Airstream > Sprinter Westfalia

Old 02-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
tfrazie

Default Buying the correct Voltage Regulator for the Westy 200 amp Alternator

I bought a spare voltage regulator after reading reports (and hearing Win tell the story of Dave Spainís faulty (and expensive) alternator diagnosis that really turned out to me a faulty voltage regulator. Win tells me itís located inside of the alternator but itís a pretty easy swap. Iíve never done it.

If you want to skip all the research and saga to just buy one, skip right to the bottom for the links.

The first one I bought was NOT the correct one. I thank Win for suggesting that, at the price I paid, it might not be rated for 200 amps which is the output of our Westy Bosch alternators. A more common alternator in Sprinters of our year (2004) is 90 amps. Virtually all of the sites one can use to buy a replacement voltage regulator for a 2004 Dodge Sprinter 2500 will lead you to the incorrect voltage regulator rated at most for 90 amps (and will be near $50-60) BUT youíll NEVER see the amp spec at those sites or almost any other site. NOTE also in this price range of $50-60 one will find the correct regulator rated for 200 amps on eBay but they are not OEM parts! Iíll include these as sources at the bottom here but I opted to stay OEM Bosch.

It shouldnít have been this difficult locating the correct one but it was. The breakthrough came using the P/N Dave S gave me for a regulator his dealer replaced in his Westy. I took that part number and the incorrect voltage regulator that I had brought to my dealer. Using my VIN number the dealer was able to tell I had a 200 amp Bosch alternator. But none of his databases showed a P/N for the regulator belonging to the 200 amp alternator. Interestingly enough it did show a P/N for a regulator belonging to the 90 amp Sprinter Bosch alternator. So I asked what one would do in need of a 200 amp regulator at this dealership. He said weíd just replace the whole alternator. So I gave him Dave Spainís regulator number which he said was superseded by another number and that he had 2 of them in stock. He showed me one. It was twice the size of the smaller rated regulator that I took in to compare. And it matched the picture I had on my phone of the correct one that an internet source had sent me.

Truly this is the short version of how I eventually got to the right number. Part of the confusion involved the many and various sources of part numbers that are used. MOPAR, Mercedes, Bosch and others.

Here are the relevant P/Nís:

5117587AA Ė Our 200 amp Bosch Alternator (a MOPAR or Chrysler or Dodge) (It turns out that most sources on the internet have a way of finding your voltage regulator easier using the alternator number.

5183842AA Ė Dave Spainís Voltage Regulator installed by his dealer (cost for part was ~$99)

68078956AA Ė The new MOPAR number that supersedes Daveís part number above for the correct Voltage Regulator (my Sprinter dealer had this part of $118.

A 003 154 90 06 Ė The Mercedes P/N which crosses to the number MOPAR above

68078956AA - The number printed on the correct Bosch regulator (confirmed by my dealer) are BR14-M3 and F 00M 145 248 (this later number seems to be the Bosch number and those are zeros.)

5133774AA the INCORRECT 90 amp PART which youíll come across if you try to search without being forewarned. The Bosch # for this INCORRECT PART is 1197311213 DO NOT ORDER THIS!

Sources:

Here is where I bought mine on eBay (mostly because I was able to communicate with a person that confirmed that his was the right part for our Bosch 200 amp alternator. Although he lists it for $109 with shipping of ~$15, I made an offer of $85 including shipping which was agreed. http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-90-200-ALTERNATOR-REGULATOR-BOSCH-MERCEDES-SPRINTER-/140339415168

Hereís one for $76.54 plus shipping at Factor Mopar Parts using the MOPAR number that superseded Dave Sís number. http://www.factorymoparparts.com/68078956aa.html

Hereís one for $64 plus shipping from Sprinter Parts dot com using the Mercedes equivalent number of A 003 154 90 06 but my email questions kept bouncing back so itís unconfirmed as to currency http://www.sprinterparts.com/item.wws?sku=003-154-90-06&itempk=105288&mfr=GENUINE&weight=7.50000
A
merican Engine Co, Ben Daniels (920-543-6646 ben@americanenginesco.com ) helped me a lot. It took a lot of emails but he eventually helped once he had the alternator number. He provided the picture I used that matched the one my sprinter dealer had in stock. Heís says it will be $80 once he gets it and it appears on his site http://www.americanenginesco.com/servlet/StoreFront

You can see a picture of it here http://www.iat-usa.com/parts.html by clicking on Partís Catalog then clicking on search then entering the IAT number of 09134. You see a lot of replacement numbers as well as the correct application. Then click on view picture. This is a picture of one side of it that matched what I saw at my Sprinter dealer. Youíll notice that the Bosch number of F 00M 145 248 is in the data and in the picture.

If you want to see a pic of the other side of it go here: http://www.regitar.com/FlyerPDF/REGITAR%20Rebuilder%202%20of%202011%20w-o%20prices.pdf then search in the document for VRB264. Notice the Bosch F 00M 145 248 number is referenced. Itís the number printed on one side of the correct regulator.

Another pic here: http://www.electricmotorsvc.com/pdf/87-322-09_Transpo_Supl.pdf then search in the document for IB248 or go to page 6. Again notice the Bosch F 00M 145 248 number is referenced. Itís the number printed on one side of the correct regulator.

AND finally here is an example of an ebay listing for the correct regulator but this is NOT OEM so theyíre very cheap. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALTERNATOR-VOLTAGE-REGULATOR-/160569271210
tfrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tfrazie For This Useful Post:
mjeffrey (02-07-2012), Zach Woods (02-08-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
512Westy

Default Re: Buying the correct Voltage Regulator for the Westy 200 amp Alternator

Tim, thanks for detailed info.
I am wondering how one diagnoses the regulator failure?
If the regulator is inside the alternator, does a new alternator come with a new regulator?
And if alt gets changed would the fact that you incorrectly changed the alternator hide the fact that it was the regulator?
My alternator failed last fall and there was not even any trouble light signalling the failure. It was just the electronics of the climate control going wacky that signaled it. I wonder now if a regulator would have been the culprit but don't know how to diagnose between the two. They tested the alternator and it showed as failing.
512Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
tfrazie

Default Re: Buying the correct Voltage Regulator for the Westy 200 amp Alternator

It stands to reason that a new regulator will come with new alternators when the regulator is integral to the alternator housing. But I don't actually know (yet).

If you replaced your good alternator (containing a bad regulator) you'll never know you had a bad regulator in the first place unless you the old alternator to test the regulator.

I don't have any symptoms myself as I bought this regulator as a spare. You can roughly test your regulator with a multimeter connected to your battery. You should be slightly above 12 volts with engine off with a good battery. After starting your engine you'll note a voltage around 13 or above which will climb slightly with higher rpms. However, the voltage regulator will keep the voltage going beyond a certain point. Generally it's around 14 volts +/-. If your voltage climbs into mid to upper 14's or above even in the 15's you've probably got a bad regulator. I'm totally swagging these numbers to explain the concept.

found this on the net:

A voltage regulator maintains an even flow of electrical power to an automobile's electrical systems, including the headlights, dashboard components and the stereo. When the parts fail or begin to show symptoms of failing, it can have far-reaching implications to the viability of the automobile. You may notice dimming headlights or unpredictable engine function and even a dead battery. As soon as you notice the symptoms, take the vehicle for an in-depth inspection before the problem leaves you on the side of the road.

A damaged or failed voltage regulator can rapidly diminish the alternator's ability to cycle power from the battery. This may cause the vehicle to experience dimming or pulsating external systems, such as headlights and dashboard elements

It's very possible given your symptoms you had a bad voltage regulator. An inexperienced tech could easily reach the conclusion that your alternator was bad especially with an integral regulator.
tfrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tfrazie For This Useful Post:
512Westy (02-10-2012)
Old 02-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
512Westy

Well, that is as I thought. I was hoping there was a symptom that would distinguish the problem. The shop did "test" the alternator but I took them at face value that their analysis was accurate. Your recent posts about the VR have made me wonder. Maybe (and that's a big maybe!) if this ever happens again, i will remember to have the VR tested separately. Oh well, the van has been running fine since then. :)
512Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
LuckyDawgz Jim

*repost from alternator rebuild thread

A 003 154 90 06 Ė Mercedes-Benz P/N

I just ordered a Bosch voltage regulator from my local Freightliner Dealer for my 2002's stock 90amp alternator.
I was told this is the same regulator for all Bosch alternators from 90-200amp which counters some of the information to some posts in this thread.

Luckily I had the Benz part number, as they oddly no longer had any cross reference from Dodge, so all future part numbers now used at the dealer will have to be M-B numbers.

003-154-28-06 Regulator
List price $93.60 (30% discount for my company's "cash" account at the dealer)

Final price $65.10 + tax

RV Conversion... Known as the "T1N TeePee" or "White Whale"

LuckyDawgz Jim is offline   Reply With Quote