DEF destruction!

I'm pretty sure a quick smell test should detect an ammonia smell if DEF is present in the cooling system.
Perhaps. A calibrated nose test positive detection/result would probably work for a fail. It would depend upon upon concentration as to a true pass. Even a low(er) dose could have serious consequence over time.

vic

Last edited:

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
I have a stupid question: What preceded the introduction of the DEF that made room to put in a significant amount?
An engine with 18k needing a top up of the cooling system is a red flag in the first place.
Not that the buyer in this case would have any clue to that part of the history either.
But I would not be a bit surprised if the seller knew the motor was roasted, and was just passing on his problems.

showkey

I have a stupid question: What preceded the introduction of the DEF that made room to put in a significant amount?
An engine with 18k needing a top up of the cooling system is a red flag in the first place.
Not that the buyer in this case would have any clue to that part of the history either.
But I would not be a bit surprised if the seller knew the motor was roasted, and was just passing on his problems.

Think if you top off ( fill to the top) the coolant recovery bottle .............that enough to cause major problems. The error appears to be choosing the wrong place to add the DEF.

As mentioned other errors like adding oil to the brake system or coolant to the washer bottle happen from time to time.

Quicky” Oil change places have been known to drain the trans on front wheel drive car and add 4 qts to the engine and send the customer down the road..........s*** happens.

Last edited:

Top Bottom