Possible to fix this?

chazmdc

I am considering purchasing a very used 2006 (for an excellent price) mainly because it has a driver side slider, which is very difficult to find. However, it has really bad rust on the floor by the rear doors. Is this possible to fix?

The only thing I can think of is finding a junk yard that has a T1N and will let me cut out a rear section which I would weld back in.

Attachments

D

Deleted member 50714

It could be repaired but not worth the expense unless DIY, which you said you were going to do. Finding a left-hand donor may be a challenge?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickyfin

Agree, if you are able to cut out a floor and weld it in there once all the rot has been cut out, you should be good. Maybe an idea to go over the chassis though first, best to inspect the structure integrity before putting in hours of labour..

DRTDEVL

Finding a donor shouldn't be hard, you just have to find where most of the 2002-2003 FedEx models were decommissioned. They used to all be cut in half and junked before FedEx realized they could make more by auctioning them off after removing their logos. We have a semi-local yard here with at least 20 02/03 cut halves sitting in it.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
Maybe you could use the slider on another van to make a double door'd sprinter.

chazmdc

the rest of the van looks in okay condition - they must have had road salt bags stored in the back or something.

chazmdc

Maybe you could use the slider on another van to make a double door'd sprinter.
That could be possible - but the cut and weld job on a driver side slider is probably event more work than just a section of the rear floor. There is more to it then just cutting the door opening I think - there needs to be a fair amount reinforcement around the door opening.

chazmdc

It could be repaired but not worth the expense unless DIY, which you said you were going to do. Finding a left-hand donor may be a challenge?
It would be a DIY job - I am pretty good with metal work - I am going to check with Junk yards around me to see if any will let me come and cut it out.

patineto

It would be a DIY job - I am pretty good with metal work - I am going to check with Junk yards around me to see if any will let me come and cut it out.
Easy as Pie.

Just Tack and align everything every time do to heat distortion and you will be a happy man..

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
That area is a bit complex, so take a good look at how its assembled before you make your sectioning cuts. Nothing really hard though. If you got good overlap at least half the welds could be replaced with high strength urethane body adhesive.

D

Deleted member 50714

Although not absolutely necessary, Cleco's are always helpful for sheet metal work.

Attachments

Top Bottom