Can we talk pricing?

kenyaloo

Hi Friends,
I am considering making an offer on a 2018/2019 Unity, that is sitting on a dealer's lot.
I have reviewed Randall Eaton's 'How to Buy an RV and Save' for advice on negotiating price. any comments on this publication or suggestions of others?
Do you have experiences you can share and/or resources you can recommend?
I am also curious about the price wiggle room if buying a model off a lot compared with placing an order and waiting months for delivery. It seems to me there would be more negotiating space in buying off the lot. Is that your experience? Have you successfully negotiated a healthy discount for a made-for-you order?
Finally, do you find that the relative scarcity of LTV's has affected your ability to get a better price?
Thanks in advance!

Klipstr

2018 Wonder FTB
Asked and answered many times. You can do a search to see full details...

If it's new, get on the LTV site and configure one exactly the way this one is. Then knock $10K off of that LTV price. That is basically what VanCity will do on all new LTV purchases. Good place to start.

Natuzzi

Asked and answered many times. You can do a search to see full details...

If it's new, get on the LTV site and configure one exactly the way this one is. Then knock $10K off of that LTV price. That is basically what VanCity will do on all new LTV purchases. Good place to start.
I agree. A lot depends on the dealer and where they are located. Van City had the best overall deal when you factor in the $10k off plus $500 travel voucher, 2 days free camping nearby for a learning experience and no extra nuisance fees. Those price guide books might make good fire starter but not even close on LTV’S. Heck, that you found one on a dealer’s lot was unusual.

SandK

2018 Unity CB
We bought from and would recommend Van City. If you see our previous post, we may do it again. We dealt with John Chelist. Tell him I said they need a better license plate frame. Ours melted.

Good Luck,
SandK

pigtrailrv

2020 Unity FX
At this point you cannot get on the LTV website and configure the same model as the LTV website pricing has been updated to the 2019 Mercedes chassis.

While I agree 10K is most likely the best you will do on a new 2019/2020, which is what you will get if you order today (no more open slots for 2019/2019 models to be built), the model your talking about is the 2018/2019, which is the old version of the Mercedes chassis.

So, if ever there was a chance to do better than 10K discount you have it. It depends on how long it sits on the dealer lot. Most people would rather have the newer Mercedes chassis so it will take more incentive to get someone to buy a 2018/2019. Ask them what they are willing to sell it for, don't make an offer, let them talk while you listen. Point out the obvious, which is that it is an outdated model and with 2020 production starting in June a 2019 is then a year old model as soon as you drive it away.

And of course always be willing to walk out the door, actually, do walk out the door and tell them you'll get back with them when you decide.

The best strategy would be to do an inventory search and email each dealer that has what you want, explaining to them you are in the market and ask for their best deal. You might be surprised what offers you get back.

IMHO

Last edited:

KSbuffalo

I purchased a new 2017 LTV unity twin from Van City in Las Vegas. I would not do business with that dealership again even if they were the last dealership on our planet. If you want clarification on why please contact me by PM.

We bought from and would recommend Van City. If you see our previous post, we may do it again. We dealt with John Chelist. Tell him I said they need a better license plate frame. Ours melted.

Good Luck,
SandK

Natuzzi

I purchased a new 2017 LTV unity twin from Van City in Las Vegas. I would not do business with that dealership again even if they were the last dealership on our planet. If you want clarification on why please contact me by PM.
I can honestly say you are the first unhappy person I have seen over the last 3 years who bought from Van City.

Natuzzi

Be careful, I may be wrong, but the Manufacturer's list price looks inflated. Make sure you see the build sheet, options, and any extra charges.
Wow! I’ll say they are inflated! Fretz is the only other dealer I have seen that does this routinely. They tried that tactic with me and then said they would discount $15k after inflating the MSRP by $5k. Even though they were closer and the price would have been the same, I walked and went to Van City Vegas.

Scarecrow

2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
Wow! I’ll say they are inflated! Fretz is the only other dealer I have seen that does this routinely. They tried that tactic with me and then said they would discount $15k after inflating the MSRP by $5k. Even though they were closer and the price would have been the same, I walked and went to Van City Vegas.
I had the same problem with Fretz. Will never do business with them. My "overcharge" was not as severe, but then they threatened to never service my vehicle if I bought elsewhere -- as if that's not already an industry tactic. Screw them!

geds

2018 Serenity
I was very pleased with Fretz with our purchase of a 2018 Serenity. I pay no attention to Dealer List Price on anything I buy. The bottom line purchase price is the only factor that I am concerned with. Fretz beat every dealer I worked with on that bottom line price.

Natuzzi

I was very pleased with Fretz with our purchase of a 2018 Serenity. I pay no attention to Dealer List Price on anything I buy. The bottom line purchase price is the only factor that I am concerned with. Fretz beat every dealer I worked with on that bottom line price.
And I really thought about taking that mindset but thought if they do that upfront, what else would they fudge on. Just didn’t like the games.

geds

2018 Serenity
I made it very simple. I approached each dealer with the same statement:

"Here's what I want to buy, here is my trade. I won't negotiate and I am competively bidding this. I won't tell your competitors what you are bidding, just like I won't tell you what they are bidding. Fair is fair. If you are interested, give me your best "out the door" delivery price with and without the trade."

Fretz beat all the major dealers discussed in these threads. The Florida dealers and one in Minnesota were the worst. They quoted list plus delivery fees!

contex

I visited the Plesanton RV show in January on its opening day and spent a couple of hours feeling out the Unity MB and FX. Dean from LTV was at the show and helped me to decide between these two models. I left the show when it started to rain without talking pricing to anyone. The weather was bad throughout the show. At the last day of the show, I emailed Le Mesa and said that I was ready to place an order if they can knock 15K off the official website price. It took them a while(20 minutes) and a couple of phone conversations later, I placed the order via email with Le Mesa.

When I discussed pricing with Le Mesa previously, I was told that Le Mesa will take $6K off the MSRP and that's final. I suspect there were two reasons for this higher than usual discount. First, the show was probably very slow due to the bad weather. Both Le Mesa and LTV may have pressure to book more orders during the show. Secondly, I won't be surprised if LTV actually contributed to the discount as they were present at the show together with Le Mesa.

Anyway, I am happy with the discount I got and am excited to pick up my FX at the end of June.

Scarecrow

2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
Which proves the point I was making so many times here in the past.
Nothing ventured. Nothing gained.
Have your ducks in a row. Be prepared to walk.
And get pricing only through internet contacts be ause I'm convinced those prices are lower than from Floor, Salesmen.

Top Bottom