Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 05-18-2019, 04:18 PM   #41
avanti
2014 GWV Legend 3500 I4

Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,697 Posts
Default Re: MB Speed detector sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmay View Post
While it ruins my day to lose cruise control, reality of crowded roads and frequent winds in much of the "get away from it all" country, cruise is seldom available. So maybe some black tape to cover the warning lights.
Beware:
I have lost both of my rear wheel sensors--in separate events. In one case, it was just the lights and no cruise. In the other, I went into limp mode.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #42
TwoClinks
2016 Unity TB

Now that I am at home, I have done some information searches to help me understand their function and failures. There is some hints that they can also fail from dirt or corrosion and may only need cleaning. They do not appear to be hard to replace and sell for around $200. That would make the shop labor at around $300 for diagnosis and replacement.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:15 PM   #43
Normand

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoClinks View Post
Now that I am at home, I have done some information searches to help me understand their function and failures. There is some hints that they can also fail from dirt or corrosion and may only need cleaning. They do not appear to be hard to replace and sell for around $200. That would make the shop labor at around $300 for diagnosis and replacement.
Again keep in mind that warranty for those is 5 years and 100,000 miles.So simple to replace, when you know which one is defective (there are 4 at each wheel) that local MB refuse me to go to the shop to see how to replace it. Requires part and 5 tye rap. They say I should not go for security reasons my eye....
Normand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:08 PM   #44
Bobnoxious

Thanked 4,246 Times in 3,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normand View Post
Again keep in mind that warranty for those is 5 years and 100,000 miles.So simple to replace, when you know which one is defective (there are 4 at each wheel) that local MB refuse me to go to the shop to see how to replace it. Requires part and 5 tye rap. They say I should not go for security reasons my eye....
Insurance will not cover injured customers in the work area. Most likely result of a customer injured (and sued)bwhile receiving free R&R training.

One of many reasons why I do not like to take my vehicle to the dealer is because I cannot watch what they're doing, even from a safe viewing distance. Surely, the dealer could accommodate request. However, inevitably there always be some clown that will break the rules and ignore boundaries.

In the interest of customer service excellence, I propose a couple of suggestions:

Technicians wear Go Pro linked to a monitor in a waiting room so the customer can observe.

Better yet, how about an elevated gallery right above the tech's workstation? Then Cotton Tops can personally pester the technician with asinine questions, make him nervous causing him/her to rush and snap some crucial bolt-off flush and the only replacement is five days FedEx from Düsseldorf.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"—
Benjamin Franklin

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten" — Benjamin Franklin

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn"— Benjamin Franklin

Sprinter information
http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/
20O7 Service Manual
http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2...nformation.pdf
Bobnoxious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobnoxious For This Useful Post:
CB1945 (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 08:21 PM   #45
TwoClinks
2016 Unity TB

For me, my emissions warrantee will run out next year on my 2015. Just when my sensor failures are starting. So I need to get schooled up or dig deep in my pockets to have simple repairs done that I might be able to do myself. I will likely use third party shops where I am not paying for deluxe waiting areas. The sensor creates voltage. Find the one that doesn't ohm out. There is also a tone ring that is in close contact with the sensor. There is some suggestion that this can cause failure. U-Tube has some videos of wheel sensor repairs. At this point I know just enough to be dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normand View Post
Old 05-18-2019, 09:10 PM   #46
Bobnoxious

Thanked 4,246 Times in 3,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoClinks View Post
For me, my emissions warrantee will run out next year on my 2015. Just when my sensor failures are starting. So I need to get schooled up or dig deep in my pockets to have simple repairs done that I might be able to do myself. I will likely use third party shops where I am not paying for deluxe waiting areas. The sensor creates voltage. Find the one that doesn't ohm out. There is also a tone ring that is in close contact with the sensor. There is some suggestion that this can cause failure. U-Tube has some videos of wheel sensor repairs. At this point I know just enough to be dangerous.
I am in the same boat.

If I understand the warranty booklet correctly, My California 2015 has seven years-75,000 mile warranty whichever occurs first. I am currently at 19,500 miles. Meanwhile, should I take my overpriced lump of German plastic to the dealer and have all the emissions system up dated? Or, should I wait until about the end of my warranty. Or do both? In the interim, I study so hopefully I can fix it.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"—
Benjamin Franklin

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten" — Benjamin Franklin

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn"— Benjamin Franklin

Sprinter information
http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/
20O7 Service Manual
http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2...nformation.pdf
Bobnoxious is offline   Reply With Quote